Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat poaching in the COVID era

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2020, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I push back whenever someone thinks I'm a pushover.
Silver Fox and dcadwell like this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by charlesdemar
For me, it's a real simple solution - show me your boarding pass. Because I 100% guarantee you're a liar because mine shows me in this seat. Want to argue? Take it up with the FA. Get up and out, bye Felicia.

When I'm traveling, I have a marginal amount of patience and I'm not going to waste any of it on ridiculous poachers.
To play devil's advocate, even in recent years, I have seen seat duplications happen, or someone is unaware of an upgrade that may have been processed, so the figure is not "100%". That doesn't make them a "liar", especially if it's a seat duplication. I do realize the gate scanner is supposed to catch this but I've even seen that fail. I've also been the one in the seat and had someone think I was in the wrong seat as they showed me their boarding pass, only for them to realize they were looking at their seat assignment on their BP from the previous flight. Whether intentional or not, I don't know (I was on the single seat side of a CRJ-900 - the person showed me their boarding pass with "2A" but that BP was for their previous flight and on this flight, they were in 4D).
Old Aug 13, 2020, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
To play devil's advocate, even in recent years, I have seen seat duplications happen, or someone is unaware of an upgrade that may have been processed, so the figure is not "100%". That doesn't make them a "liar", especially if it's a seat duplication. I do realize the gate scanner is supposed to catch this but I've even seen that fail. I've also been the one in the seat and had someone think I was in the wrong seat as they showed me their boarding pass, only for them to realize they were looking at their seat assignment on their BP from the previous flight. Whether intentional or not, I don't know (I was on the single seat side of a CRJ-900 - the person showed me their boarding pass with "2A" but that BP was for their previous flight and on this flight, they were in 4D).
Mistakes aren't poaching until the person having sat in the wrong seat refuses to correct himself. That's why I ask before siccing the FA on them.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
Well, in the spirit of what you're saying, "liar" will exist only in my head and not something I would disrespectfully say to their face - however, 99% of the time, it's not a system error (charlesdemar fact checking machine confirmed). I'm more than happy to have the FA sort it out is there was some fluke duplication thing, however, I fortunately have the liberty to buy my tickets weeks in advance as I don't do a lot of short notice travel. So, the week of flying, I'm watching that seat to see if I want to move (e.g. the weird person who for some reason takes the middle seat next to me when there are two open in a three seat row...). So, I'm pretty sure when I head to the gate, I'm in that seat a long time before that day.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are mistakes and there are deliberate actions or blatant lies. After having someone try to tell me that it was a mistake that they sat in my FC 3A when their boarding pass said something like 42E (middle coach seat way in the back), I've become cynical about people who engage in seat poaching know what they are doing.

I also have no patience with the "all seats are the same" or "they all arrive at the same time" arguments for why they should be allowed to steal my seat.

Once a nonrev stole my seat that I had already occupied (with stuff sticking out of the back seat pocket, so it was obvious that someone had already claimed the seat) when I was using the lavatory before a long flight just so he could sit near both his wife and his college age daughter in business class. Of course he knew what he was doing.
Silver Fox and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are mistakes and there are deliberate actions or blatant lies. After having someone try to tell me that it was a mistake that they sat in my FC 3A when their boarding pass said something like 42E (middle coach seat way in the back), I've become cynical about people who engage in seat poaching know what they are doing.

I also have no patience with the "all seats are the same" or "they all arrive at the same time" arguments for why they should be allowed to steal my seat.

Once a nonrev stole my seat that I had already occupied (with stuff sticking out of the back seat pocket, so it was obvious that someone had already claimed the seat) when I was using the lavatory before a long flight just so he could sit near both his wife and his college age daughter in business class. Of course he knew what he was doing.
Down with this 100%. If we all get there at the same time, then, the 42E seat sound pretty comparable to the 3A seat. So, please go assume your middle seat back next to the rear bathroom so I can get my PDB and knock some emails out before I take a well deserved meal and nap since I didn't get any lunch today while presenting reviews to four relentless business units before having a mad dash to the airport with minutes to spare.
Silver Fox and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Mistakes aren't poaching until the person having sat in the wrong seat refuses to correct himself. That's why I ask before siccing the FA on them.
Yep, I'll be honest, I've more than once after a long day sat in the wrong aisle or misread where I am based on the layout. I always feel like a horse's ... when it happens but appreciate the patience.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Yep, I'll be honest, I've more than once after a long day sat in the wrong aisle or misread where I am based on the layout. I always feel like a horse's ... when it happens but appreciate the patience.
It happens to the best of us. It's an easy and reasonable conversation to have with most people:

"Hi, I think I'm assigned the seat you're sitting in. Would you mind double-checking your boarding pass, and I'll double-check mine as well?"

This resolves 95% of all the issues. As some have brought up, there are legitimate technical things that can happen outside of anyone's control; I was once on an Alaska flight where someone was upgraded into my seat, and it turned out it's because my ticket was hand-reissued by Korean Air and the inventory wasn't pulled properly somehow, allowing the gate system to duplicate the seat assignment. But if that happens, it's an easy "Whoa, sure enough, we both have the same seat! Let's get the flight attendant's help figuring this one out."

Nobody's a jerk in this situation until the moment they're identified as in the wrong but they refuse to do anything about it.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by No_Name
Got to my seat and discovered another PAX in my seat. It was an off by one row sort of deal, so most likely an honest mistake. I opted for the good karma (short flight and early morning) and took the other PAX's seat, which, unfortunately, moved me from C+ to regular.
I would have fired that squatter out of my seat within 0.22 microseconds.

No room in this world for scammers. 99% chance this guy knew what he was doing.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Well, in the spirit of what you're saying, "liar" will exist only in my head and not something I would disrespectfully say to their face - however, 99% of the time, it's not a system error (charlesdemar fact checking machine confirmed). I'm more than happy to have the FA sort it out is there was some fluke duplication thing, however, I fortunately have the liberty to buy my tickets weeks in advance as I don't do a lot of short notice travel. So, the week of flying, I'm watching that seat to see if I want to move (e.g. the weird person who for some reason takes the middle seat next to me when there are two open in a three seat row...). So, I'm pretty sure when I head to the gate, I'm in that seat a long time before that day.
For sure. And I'm not saying I haven't witnessed plenty of funny business where other passengers truly try to "poach" a better seat and try to coax another passenger into taking a lousier seat. My favorite is always watching the exit row seats like 21A/F on DL's 737-900s or the equivalent seat on Alaska. Seen plenty of poachers try to take those. Almost certainly not an "honest mistake" in those cases. But there are plenty of instances where it's just a brain fart and honest mistake on someone's end too. I've even done it as the "C" vs "D" aisle seat and sat on the wrong side before or had someone sit on the wrong side. If it's an equivalent seat, I usually just brush it off and usually others do too. Unlike others I other don't get bothered by initially being asked to switch seats, and I have both accepted and declined seat swaps. But I also admit to having forced poachers to move after they tried to claim my seat and wanted to me to move to their seat, wherever it was.

Originally Posted by rickg523
Fair enough and that's how I always approach it. I can only recall having to get the FA involved once when a person refused to move despite their being in the wrong (my) seat. Whether the person was poaching or was an honest mistake, I don't always know. I ultimately just care that they move unless they're offering me a better seat than what my assigned seat is.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 11:42 am

My favorite is always watching the exit row seats like 21A/F on DL's 737-900s or the equivalent seat on Alaska. Seen plenty of poachers try to take those. Almost certainly not an "honest mistake" in those cases.
All.Day.Long. I think this is where I've seen most frequent poaching happen (exit row). You could probably get away with it pretty frequently in years past before carriers starting trimming up the route frequency and planes would fly at a low capacity; I'm just shocked people try to do it in the present considering I can't recall the last time I flew on a flight at less than 90-95% capacity (pre-Covid, of course). You know you're going to get called out!! But as someone said, it's worked for them in the past so they will keep doing it.

As for seat swaps, I agree I have no problem doing that if it's an aisle and the same class; I only book aisle and rarely have issue grabbing one since I typically know my trips are coming up weeks in advance. I had a lady get ridiculously huffy with me in C+ because I didn't want her C+ window seat. Sorry, I want the aisle for a quick leg stretch time to time as well as unfettered access to the overhead/bathroom so I don't have to aggravate my seatmates. That's the seat I intentionally sought out and bought and if you want to favor trade with me to get to a different row, like for like. Her husband was in the the aisle seat across from me. So, instead she ended up offering her window seat to the guy in the middle. Which is what she should probably have done in the first place instead of making me move so you're comfortable in the aisle - you're asking someone to swap a seat which typically comes with a little sacrifice to get the result you want. I'm sure someone on here will want to fight me now, LOL.

Last edited by charlesdemar; Aug 14, 2020 at 11:50 am
Old Aug 14, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
prior to Covid: get the $%&^&% outta my seat!

during Covid: get the $%&^&% outta my seat!

after Covid: ?

this applies to poaching and swaps

see? back to normal discussions!!!!
Old Aug 14, 2020, 12:16 pm

I've seen potential seat poachers try to board last and then just take the first good seat that's open. I'm not sure how easily this would be detected with COVID-19 boarding procedures.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
after Covid: ?
Spoiler alert...

... everybody dies.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
Spoiler alert...

... everybody dies.
Not everyone. Probably close to 25 million, at least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.