Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL asks German customer to please sue them for refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL asks German customer to please sue them for refund

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2020, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's not a perfect translation, but the key is why DL is declining to refund and what the underlying circumstances were. COVID-19 doesn't give everyone a right to get a full refund for nonrefundable tickets.

Like someone said earlier, it doesn't seem to have been written by someone who knows German well, and especially the norms for business correspondence in German.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by jimrpa
Perhaps if he had written his letter in American instead of German, he would have gotten better customer service?
I’m kidding, of course I would like to know the full context before passing judgement on Delta’s “so sue us” response
Why not try it in English?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by bankops
At the moment, many European countries are lobbying the EU to permit voucher refunds to avoid draining all the cash from the airlines. Thus their position is “sue us”. It will take so long that either they will be in a position to refund or they will be bankrupt and you will get nothing. For them it is a win-win this way.
And the EU Commission has flat out rejected those lobbying efforts and told Nations and Airlines that the regs still apply especially in respect of refunds for flight cancellations.

The ony easment is that basically no one is enforcing the 7 day repayment element. Not that there was much (if any) enforcement of that in the past anyway.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cmd320
Ahh Google Translate...
Very easy to use.

I can says Danke and Bitte. I speak German and English.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 3:24 am

Sometimes the best customer service is being honest to a customer and telling them that what they want is unreasonable. I much prefer a clear 'no' than endless generic email templates.

Looking at the lawyers twitter feed, I GUESS if Delta were rejecting something reasonable or legally required (e.g. a refund for a cancelled flight) it would have been mentioned, as in the other tweets it is.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Ok, my 2 cents as a german Medallion member: not knowing the full story i GUESS that the ticket is a delta plated but AF/KL issued ticket for an airline canceled flight. In this case Delta would give a full refund but if ticket was sold in europe then it was sold/issued by AF/KL and they play the "voucher only" game right now. And yes, it's illegal, if the airline is canceling your flight you're entiteld to an full refund. So the customer requested an refund from Delta which sent the request to AF as they got the money but AF basicly said "get in line...".
I agree that the text was not written by an german CSR ( or the person got an boiler plate text from the US and translated in into german ). All the major airlines in europe trying to fight as long as possible to hold on to those billions owned to their customers and making it as hard as possible to get your money back.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 7:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The twitter post is by the lawyer aka kexbox . He is pretty serious and successful, I'm sure such a stupid CR email by DL/AF-KL makes for good PR. But its definitely not fake.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by BER Flyer
Ok, my 2 cents as a german Medallion member: not knowing the full story i GUESS that the ticket is a delta plated but AF/KL issued ticket for an airline canceled flight. In this case Delta would give a full refund but if ticket was sold in europe then it was sold/issued by AF/KL and they play the "voucher only" game right now. ...
All the major airlines in europe trying to fight as long as possible to hold on to those billions owned to their customers and making it as hard as possible to get your money back.
I just got my money back from AF on a US - Europe ticket. Took me about a month of online requests, calling AF, filing DOT complaints.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's not a perfect translation, but the key is why DL is declining to refund and what the underlying circumstances were. COVID-19 doesn't give everyone a right to get a full refund for nonrefundable tickets.

Like someone said earlier, it doesn't seem to have been written by someone who knows German well, and especially the norms for business correspondence in German.
I agree. I can't find where it says what was cancelled, why, and when? I understand with Covid, there are tons of cancellations and tons of fee waivers. If DL cancelled the flight and the pax requested a refund after that, the pax should get the refund, but what really happened?

Did the pax cancel his ticket, get a voucher and when the airline later cancelled his flight demand refund? Did the pax no-show for the flight and demand a refund? Did the flight time get changed less than 90 minutes and the pax demanded a refund? Was there a schedule change the pax accepted and later changed his mind and demanded a refund? In those cases, DL is justified to tell him "fine, sue me" especially if the pax said they were going to contact a lawyer (which we don't know).

Despite the phrase "the customer is always right", sometimes the customer is wrong. There are too many unknowns to be armchair quarterbacking this.

I also agree with MSPEconomist's signature that states "we are all Parisians" Unfortunately, my Paris trip this summer has been cancelled.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by at-qbkilla
Why not try it in English?
As in the Queen's English?
Old Jun 8, 2020, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by defrosted
As in the Queen's English?
Do you refer to British English?
Old Jun 8, 2020, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The twitter post is by the lawyer aka kexbox . He is pretty serious and successful, I'm sure such a stupid CR email by DL/AF-KL makes for good PR. But its definitely not fake.
Are you aware of that email is not sent by Customer Relations, but Reservation?

Also most importantly - just because that person is a lawyer does not mean he is correct.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by at-qbkilla
Do you refer to British English?
I would think the Queens English would get a better response than just British English, but American English as suggested, being this is a letter to Delta, an American company, would be best. They could have tried Canadian, but then they would have had to apologize.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:53 am
Original Poster

I have access to the full email conversation.
The pax asked for full refund within 7 days under EU261 for a booking where flights were fully cancelled by the airline.
No compensation for flight cancellation or hotel costs or anything, just full refund.
Ticketing + marketing carrer = DL, feeder flights KL outbound and AF inbound.

Let me know if you want to know anything more
Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by fuyao
I have access to the full email conversation.
The pax asked for full refund within 7 days under EU261 for a booking where flights were fully cancelled by the airline.
No compensation for flight cancellation or hotel costs or anything, just full refund.
Ticketing + marketing carrer = DL, feeder flights KL outbound and AF inbound.

Let me know if you want to know anything more
Want to confirm - DL is not the airline canceling the flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.