Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Has DL Cut too many flights? Analysis and discussion of schedule cuts.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has DL Cut too many flights? Analysis and discussion of schedule cuts.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by johnatan
I do find it amusing how quickly the nationalist crowd suddenly adopted the "my body my choice" argument.....
Nothing "nationalist" about taking care of your health and having some courtesy for those around you. The "my body my choice people" are COVID deniers.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Interesting graphs from an article on ticketing trends in the past few months:

https://forwardkeys.com/us-air-trave...ependence-day/

It'll be interesting to get data on the most recent 2 weeks. But based on the latest update from UA today, I don't think the data will be very promising and suggests that the recovery is stalling, especially in NY (explains DL's cuts in NYC this past weekend): https://www.reuters.com/article/brie...-idUSFWN2EE0FF

kyushuman, Zorak and gt5889a like this.

Last edited by ab2013; Jul 7, 2020 at 7:25 am
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
I think we'll see things to continue going up throughout the rest of the year, despite Ed's comments that after August there won't be many new changes to the schedule. They definitely did cut too much particularly towards the end of June.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Problem is with outbreaks and spikes around the country, multiple states are reversing their opening phases... which is going to reduce travel.
ryw likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Problem is with outbreaks and spikes around the country, multiple states are reversing their opening phases... which is going to reduce travel.
Yup there are states with very strong evidence of widespread community spread. Southern states are doing relatively poorly - positive test rates in AZ are around 30% and FL around 20%. Even states like WA and CA are trending in the wrong direction. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/...tes/california

HI is well-known for enforcing mandatory quarantine - how are other states with quarantine policies handling it?
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ab2013
Yup there are states with very strong evidence of widespread community spread. Southern states are doing relatively poorly - positive test rates in AZ are around 30% and FL around 20%. Even states like WA and CA are trending in the wrong direction. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/...tes/california

HI is well-known for enforcing mandatory quarantine - how are other states with quarantine policies handling it?
Meanwhile NY state has got it under control
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
More cancellations to/from Europe today.
BOS-CDG removed for month of August.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

HI has a lot easier job. There's no way to just drive in, anyone coming in is coming via plane.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
HI has a lot easier job. There's no way to just drive in, anyone coming in is coming via plane.
Sure. (Same with AK - practically speaking) But HI was arresting people for breaking quarantines - that's pretty much the strictest enforcement that I know/have heard of in the US.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Sure. (Same with AK - practically speaking) But HI was arresting people for breaking quarantines - that's pretty much the strictest enforcement that I know/have heard of in the US.
True, but it's a lot easier for them to know if you were subject or not to an order.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Delta’s measured approach is proving to be smart. I was skeptical but it looks like management bet right on a slow recovery.
TEBraniff likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 5:26 pm

Could Delta's slowing the increase in the number of flights vs American and United cramming anyone and everyone in be reflected in Georgia's slower Covid-19 rates when compared to FLA or TX or AZ? Georgia reopened first before FLA or TX or AZ and I think they are doing better. Delta continues to be sensible blocking the middle seat which everyone should embrace if they have a choice between Delta and unAmerican or unUnited.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TEBraniff
Could Delta's slowing the increase in the number of flights vs American and United cramming anyone and everyone in be reflected in Georgia's slower Covid-19 rates when compared to FLA or TX or AZ? Georgia reopened first before FLA or TX or AZ and I think they are doing better. Delta continues to be sensible blocking the middle seat which everyone should embrace if they have a choice between Delta and unAmerican or unUnited.
No.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by TEBraniff
United has been the slowest of the Big 3 to bring back domestic capacity partly because they had the most hubs in early-affected areas like SFO, EWR and ORD. During that time the upticks in travel were driven by the south and mountain west. That’s why you saw Delta not cutting SLC significantly and bringing back ATL capacity first once they started adding back flights.
AA also benefited from being strong in hubs in those parts of the country (CLT, DFW and PHX) but they also had no choice but to add back flights in hopes of generating cash (their head of Revenue Mgmt recently even came right out and said that basically with over $40Bn in debt to service, cutting back and basically getting zero cash was a surefire way to Ch 11 so they bet big that bringing back lots of interior hub flying would at least generate cash especially when their break even load factor was so low with low fuel prices etc).
Old Jul 12, 2020, 10:38 pm

Only heard one case where they did that with a fool who was posting pics of himself at the beach on social media rather than quarantining as required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.