Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to retire its entire Boeing 777 fleet by the end of the year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to retire its entire Boeing 777 fleet by the end of the year

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
Are the 777 birds really being retired (never to fly again) or is Delta doing something else, like selling to Amazon’s Prime Air for cargo flights? I imagine if anyone could use a plane or two right now it would be Amazon for cargo movement.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dtwtransport
Are the 777 birds really being retired (never to fly again) or is Delta doing something else, like selling to Amazon’s Prime Air for cargo flights? I imagine if anyone could use a plane or two right now it would be Amazon for cargo movement.
My guess is the older ERs probably won’t fly again. The LRs will likely find another operator would be my guess.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: UA, WN, AS, AA
Originally Posted by cmd320
My guess is the older ERs probably won’t fly again. The LRs will likely find another operator would be my guess.
That's doubtful. Etihad retired their 777-200LRs a few years ago and no one picked them up. And that was when aviation was thriving.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
I'm not able to make any of the final flights so I'll just consider myself fortunate that I was able to take a couple of trips on the newly reconfigured 777s earlier this year before the world came to a halt.

Flying to Sydney back in February in premium economy, I chose to fly VA on the outbound and DL on the return so I could compare the two. While VA had the better product of the two, I still enjoyed my DL flight and I'm sad to see that neither airline will be operating that route with 777's any more. Shortly after I returned from SYD, my wife and I flew LAX-CDG in D1 for our honeymoon, which ultimately we had to abandon as Europe went into lockdown, but I will always remember our flight over. The crew was excellent and the purser even recognized my name and asked if I had recently flown on a flight she had worked from SYD.

All in all, I was a fan of the 777s, and enjoyed every flight I had the chance to ride in one. Even in Y, with DL keeping the more generous 9-abreast seating, I would look forward to those trips and I can only hope going forward I enjoy the A350s as much. I think the A350s are one of the most beautiful modern airliners, but I'll reserve judgement on DLs product until I actually get a chance to fly in one.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA - Silver, Hertz-5 star
Today was the last flight? What route was it?

Thanks,

Paul
Old Oct 31, 2020, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Paul510
Today was the last flight? What route was it?

Thanks,

Paul
DL 8777 on JFK-LAX. DL also operated a 777 on ATL-LAX yesterday.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 12:22 am

All of the 18 DL trip 7's have gone to the desert to their final resting places (VCV OR MZJ), with the exception of 2 B777-200ER's - they currently are at BHM. I am sure Delta will eventually have them sent to the desert. Just wondering if these 2 are still possibly going to be used for military(or freighter) charters. The 2 frames are: N861DA and N865DA. So, technically - these are the last 2 that have not been WFU (withdrawn from use) - just no longer have scheduled flights. Their last revenue flight (LRF) happened 3-16 (N861DA) with the CDG-LAX leg and 3-12 (N865DA) with the CDG-MSP leg. These 2 frames being "stored" at BHM for this length of time makes very little since - these 2 should have been one of the first to be sent to their final resting places. Just sayin'.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA, WN, AS, AA
Originally Posted by ChamplinAl
All of the 18 DL trip 7's have gone to the desert to their final resting places (VCV OR MZJ), with the exception of 2 B777-200ER's - they currently are at BHM. I am sure Delta will eventually have them sent to the desert. Just wondering if these 2 are still possibly going to be used for military(or freighter) charters. The 2 frames are: N861DA and N865DA. So, technically - these are the last 2 that have not been WFU (withdrawn from use) - just no longer have scheduled flights. Their last revenue flight (LRF) happened 3-16 (N861DA) with the CDG-LAX leg and 3-12 (N865DA) with the CDG-MSP leg. These 2 frames being "stored" at BHM for this length of time makes very little since - these 2 should have been one of the first to be sent to their final resting places. Just sayin'.
DL has scrapped some MD-90s there as well, so it's likely that BHM might be their final resting place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.