Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelled and stranded.

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2020, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017
And PUSH the airlines. It is not your job as a paying customer to be flexible and offer renting a car or taking a train as a solution. You paid to get from wherever to your intended destination. If they can't get you there, ask to be booked on another airline, connect through a different hub, a different time, etc. Renting a car, taking a bus or a train is the absolute last resort in my book. If I ended up having to do that, I would ask for a refund (to cover the cost of renting a car, Uber, whatever) or submit those expenses for reimbursement.
Those days are over. Carriers are not offering anything beyond truly token gestures. The response in this situation would have been a credit or a refund. It's going to be this way for a good long while. No pot of cash to work from.
indufan likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As you and your daughter probably already know, this part of ND can seem very empty and isolated. She might want to consider driving from Williston to Minot on Thursday afternoon rather in the middle of the night for that 6 am departure.

For others who might not know these airports, Williston is the town that's considered to be the center of the oil patch (shale) while Minot has an Air Force base and I think is/was the site of the state fare. IIRC it was a major part of the SAC program during the Cold War. In fact, you can see/tour former missile silos in this part of the USA.
Thank you, that is very good advice. I will pass the info on to her.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bcla
Thank you, that is very good advice. I will pass the info on to her.
BTW, I've stayed at a newish Hyatt House hotel on the outskirts of Minot which seems to generally be in the direction of the airport. It's fine but there aren't any places nearby to get food if the hotel isn't serving from their evening bar menu. I don't know whether there are airport hotels.
Bcla likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
They should've been willing to book on UA or at least Amtrak to MSP. (Amtrak uses the same ticketing process as airlines, just transportation is on a train instead of plane)
Old May 13, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
I know some have suggested the Empire Builder as an alternative from Williston to Minneapolis. While it's nice if you have at least a roomette - it's uncomfortable in coach overnight - it is commonly late. According to Amtrak the Empire Builder in 2018 was on time only 44% of the time. (See stats here.) If anyone thinks to take the train for the scheduled 7:43am arrival in Minneapolis Union Depot to catch a 9:40am flight out of MSP, that would be a bad idea.

There's probably less freight traffic on BNSF tracks (media indications are that freight operators have seen only a relatively mild downturn in business), but I still wouldn't chance it.
Old May 13, 2020, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
They should've been willing to book on UA or at least Amtrak to MSP. (Amtrak uses the same ticketing process as airlines, just transportation is on a train instead of plane)
AFAIK all Amtrak trains stop at the terminal in St Paul. It wouldn't be fun to get from there to MSP if there's any rush hour traffic (unlikely to be bad in the COVID-19 era) or (more importantly) road construction delays or detours. Taking the light rail will require a change in Minneapolis, near downtown, and frequency has been reduced.

There's a recent thread in the DL forum focusing on recent experiences at MSP.

Maybe Amtrak service has improved, but they always were subject to notorious delays except along the northeast (and maybe west coast) corridor for the business oriented express trains.
Old May 13, 2020, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
AFAIK all Amtrak trains stop at the terminal in St Paul. It wouldn't be fun to get from there to MSP if there's any rush hour traffic (unlikely to be bad in the COVID-19 era) or (more importantly) road construction delays or detours. Taking the light rail will require a change in Minneapolis, near downtown, and frequency has been reduced.

Maybe Amtrak service has improved, but they always were subject to notorious delays except along the northeast (and maybe west coast) corridor for the business oriented express trains.
I wasn't suggesting it was the best option. However it's an option when all else fails. Gets you to MSP where even an overnight is quicker than waiting for next flight days later from origin.

A lot of the delays of past years have decreased. I've used the train lots over the years and have seen it go through cycles regarding delays. (Midwest/west coast only, not East coast)
Old May 13, 2020, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
I know some have suggested the Empire Builder as an alternative from Williston to Minneapolis. While it's nice if you have at least a roomette - it's uncomfortable in coach overnight - it is commonly late. According to Amtrak the Empire Builder in 2018 was on time only 44% of the time. (See stats here.) If anyone thinks to take the train for the scheduled 7:43am arrival in Minneapolis Union Depot to catch a 9:40am flight out of MSP, that would be a bad idea.

There's probably less freight traffic on BNSF tracks (media indications are that freight operators have seen only a relatively mild downturn in business), but I still wouldn't chance it.
The seats on Amtrak are Sleeper seats and thus comfortable for overnight. (Midwest/westcoast anyway, east coast uses different stock) Roomette are nice if taking the train the whole length, but otherwise aren't needed. (Again I speak only of Midwest/ west coast)
Old May 13, 2020, 5:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver

The Empire builder has been much much more reliable than it used to be. That said, Amtrak still measures delays in hours and .... happens. The last time I took a train to Minneapolis (and caught a plane), I booked a flight at ~6pm with the empire builder arriving around 8am. Train was on time, but I wouldn't do it any other way as it isn't always.
I went to MSP by uber, picked up a rental car (I have so many enterprise points I never use) and hung out with friends (used to live there) for the day. Traffic is perfectly reasonable, as it is an AM departure and MSP is really just a straight shot down West 7th (35E also generally isn't so bad SB in the AM). I'd be more worried about the the train than the last mile. The new station is far easier to get to the Airport from than the old one out by midway. If you did want to take public transit, I'd take the 54 rather than LR. Be much faster (~30min less) and is direct, though I'm lazy and take uber.
Going to Minot is the safer play, IMHO.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
BTW, I've stayed at a newish Hyatt House hotel on the outskirts of Minot which seems to generally be in the direction of the airport. It's fine but there aren't any places nearby to get food if the hotel isn't serving from their evening bar menu. I don't know whether there are airport hotels.
There appear to be quite a few restaurants, fast food places, etc about two miles east of that Hyatt House.
Bcla likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 7:52 am

If you don't have a giant pile of luggage, the 54 bus is by far the best way to transfer from Union Depot to MSP. Door to door in 30 minutes on a limited stop route. Train is super slow for that move.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by ryw
In addition or an alternative to Twitter, if your daughter has the Fly Delta app and an iPhone, there's a text chat feature (I believe under "More" > "Message Us") which allows messaging with the Delta rep, which might get her through faster than the phone line.
Although I haven't done it specifically with Delta I have found text chatting a very viable alternative to calling when dealing with other companies such as banks and Apple. The wait time is usually minutes versus the hours long hold times I keep hearing about.
Old May 14, 2020, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I doubt DL would have put daughter on UA as the DL flight she was on was cancelled a month ago over the weekend of Apr 12th during May schedule pull-down and they wouldn't have considered it an IRROP situation. You can see the one remaining flight operated as scheduled -- https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...020Z/KXWA/KMSP
MSPeconomist and Bcla like this.
Old May 14, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Bcla
Thank you so much everyone for your advice. The Delta people at Williston airport were able to get her a flight for Friday leaving out of Minot. She will just drive there. The earliest they could get her on from Williston was the 21st, which obviously wouldn't work. I guess the lesson she has learned from this is at all possible go to the airport to get it sorted out. Thank you.
Not to make any assumptions or be flippant either, but the lesson also must be that travel right now should only be taking place for essential reasons. You never mentioned hers, I'll assume that it was. But these cancellations and such will continue until we're on the other side of this unfortunately.
Bcla likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
For others who might not know these airports, Williston is the town that's considered to be the center of the oil patch (shale) while Minot has an Air Force base and I think is/was the site of the state fare. IIRC it was a major part of the SAC program during the Cold War. In fact, you can see/tour former missile silos in this part of the USA.
Yes, you're correct that Minot was a SAC base. The host wing is Global Strike Command now, and it hosts both a Bomb Wing and a Missile Wing. This is all publicly available information pulled from the Minot AFB Wikipedia page if anyone wants to learn more. There are also fact sheets about the units, aircraft, and missiles that discuss their history.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.