Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aircraft Advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Aircraft Advice

Due to a Delta flight cancellation, I have a few options for an upcoming flight. I've never flown several of the configurations (in business class) and I'm having difficulties getting reliable comparisons. In short, I was hoping those more experienced with partner airlines might help me choose between J on:
Delta 764 (ATL-LHR) (open suite)
KLM 777-300ER (LAX-AMS)
VS - A350 (LAX-LHR)
Thanks

Last edited by El Boocho; Apr 28, 2020 at 12:06 pm Reason: had wrong VS equipment
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by El Boocho
Due to a Delta flight cancellation, I have a few options for an upcoming flight. I've never flown several of the configurations (in business class) and I'm having difficulties getting reliable comparisons. In short, I was hoping those more experienced with partner airlines might help me choose between J on:
Delta 764 (ATL-LHR) (open suite)
KLM 777-300ER (LAX-AMS)
VS - A350 (LAX-LHR)
Thanks
There are no guarantees that any of those equipments will be operating your flight as any flight from June out will probably have some sort schedule change, but I’d go for the DL 764 to be on the safe side. The VS A350 has the best hard product out of the three, but VS is in rough financial shape right now and there’s a chance they might not survive.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
There are no guarantees that any of those equipments will be operating your flight as any flight from June out will probably have some sort schedule change, but I’d go for the DL 764 to be on the safe side. The VS A350 has the best hard product out of the three, but VS is in rough financial shape right now and there’s a chance they might not survive.
Agree.

My order would be:

1) Delta 764: should be new refurb seats and you can take a single for added social distancing -- not that the flight will be full
2) KLM 773: no financial worries but the 2-2-2 seating isn't as conducive to social distancing (if flight is full for some reason)
3) VS A351: best hard product but agree with MCO Flyer that I wouldn't give VS a penny right now. Chance they don't survive and they aren't moving quickly on refunds (I've been waiting 50 days and counting for the taxes/fees of a canceled NH award ticket to Japan to be refunded)
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. There are actually 4 family members traveling together so I'm not terribly concerned about the 2x2x2 set up, but that's good info to remember. I kind of doubt this trip is even going to happen, but I'm not ready to pull the plug. Will book away from VS, but given these are DL tickets, I think DL would step in if VS stumbles.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Originally Posted by Duke787
3) VS A351: best hard product but agree with MCO Flyer that I wouldn't give VS a penny right now. Chance they don't survive and they aren't moving quickly on refunds (I've been waiting 50 days and counting for the taxes/fees of a canceled NH award ticket to Japan to be refunded)
I agree that I wouldn't book directly through VS but if booked through DL, is that a huge concern? If VS does indeed go bust between now and then, but OP is booked through DL as a DL codeshare on the VS flight, then DL would simply rebook OP on another DL flight. It would simply be like any other schedule change, canceled route, etc.
dmarge18 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I'd go for VS for sure. Even if they're in rough financial shape and cease to exist by next month (basically) the other options will still exist at that point. The VS A350 is definitely the best product of the available options.

With that said are you going to London or Amsterdam? If the latter I'd probably just fly KL and be done with it.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
I'd go for VS for sure. Even if they're in rough financial shape and cease to exist by next month (basically) the other options will still exist at that point. The VS A350 is definitely the best product of the available options.

With that said are you going to London or Amsterdam? If the latter I'd probably just fly KL and be done with it.
Destination is London (with and OJ return from CDG) so the nonstop would be nice. It was via pdx originally so a connection is fine too. Just don’t want the short jfk flight if I can help it. One negative about the nonstop is it arrives around 330p.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
this may well be a non-issue in the current low-travel environment, but we found the midafternoon LHR arrival meant our hotel room (Grosvenor Square area) was ready when we got there ... would likely not have been the case with a flight landing ~0900
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:22 pm

I would certainly take VS. It avoids a LAX-ATL in domestic F, and it's never much fun to need a short-haul flight after the long TATL.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by will2288
I would certainly take VS. It avoids a LAX-ATL in domestic F, and it's never much fun to need a short-haul flight after the long TATL.
agreed. From a wear and tear perspective, I’d rather have the short flight on the front end. As a single I can power through most things, but the family makes it more complicated.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I'd take VS as well. Non-stop flight and maximizes time in the J seat. Make sure to check your reservation periodically for changes.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
this may well be a non-issue in the current low-travel environment, but we found the midafternoon LHR arrival meant our hotel room (Grosvenor Square area) was ready when we got there ... would likely not have been the case with a flight landing ~0900
Good point. Interestingly I’ve rarely had difficulty checking in early, especially when it is very early. The atl connection is an ~11ish arrival. Figure we’ll get to hotel by 1. If they have a room available to clean up great. If not, I avoid the potential that my wife and progeny demand a nap.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Austin787
I'd take VS as well. Non-stop flight and maximizes time in the J seat. Make sure to check your reservation periodically for changes.
Check often also for changes in entry and quarantine requirements, and make sure you hotel will be open.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Check often also for changes in entry and quarantine requirements, and make sure you hotel will be open.
Thank you. Good advice, British Museum and Musee d'Orsay and Louvre too.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by El Boocho
Thank you. Good advice, British Museum and Musee d'Orsay and Louvre too.
I don't know how the lines are now, but last summer there was a big advantage to buying Paris art museum (including Gare d'Orsay) tickets in advance on the internet. If you do this early and check various possibilities, there are some bargain combo tickets, such as Orsay including special exhibits plus Jeu de Palme for less than the standalone price for Orsay, but you also need to be careful about opening hours/days of the week. IME it isn't necessary to buy most tickets more than a day or so in advance (hotel concierges can do it, buy you probably won't get the best deal) and you should be sure to understand what door to use and the admission procedure for your ticket such as whether you need to first go to a special ticket line or just join the special or normal admission/security line with either your phone or printed ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.