Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL partnerships in trouble? Virgin Australia goes under (voluntary administration)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL partnerships in trouble? Virgin Australia goes under (voluntary administration)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2020, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If DL were to add another Australia flight in the future, Melbourne would make much more sense than Brisbane. Melbourne is a major business city while Brisbane is more of a leisure market, including people going to the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast. However, for much of the Great Barrier Reef, Cairns makes more sense if one doesn't want to fly to/from a smaller airport and/or use regional carriers and small planes. NZ flights would be nice, but I'm not sure it's realistic.
Isn't LAX-MEL already served (or was served) by VA on a 773? The flight is about 500 mi longer than LAX-SYD - would the A350 work on LAX-MEL?
Old Aug 5, 2020, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
I read the above as VA acquiring another long haul fleet. If VA had kept the B777 would probably have to parked to mid 2021 (as QF are doing). AU will not open up any time soon. That has a cost even when owned. As well as keeping flight deck/cabin crew on the books, which has ongoing costs even if on furlough. AU employee laws are tighter than USA.
Yes, 100% Virgin Australia is saying they plan to reject the leases on the 777 fleet and stop operating it for the foreseeable future, and I'm sure they will stop maintaining their international pilot pool as well (with those pilots required to downgrade to the 737 or leave the company).

I'm just saying that in 2022ish when international flying seems viable again, they will have no problems acquiring planes again that are suitable for TPAC flying; they can of course order new, but there will also be a huge glut of perfectly serviceable, high quality 777s sitting unloved in the desert owned by desperate lessors. Some of those 777s could even be the exact same planes Virgin previously owned, in one potential scenario - but they could just as easily be Delta's retired 777 fleet, or something even newer formerly from one of the many other high quality airlines that are downsizing their fleet during the pandemic.

Used aircraft are going to be a buyer's market for a while.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ab2013
Isn't LAX-MEL already served (or was served) by VA on a 773? The flight is about 500 mi longer than LAX-SYD - would the A350 work on LAX-MEL?
LAX-MEL is slightly shorter than CPT-ATL, so by pure distance, it should be possible. It may be payload restricted, though, and that may make it uneconomical to operate.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenA
Yes, 100% Virgin Australia is saying they plan to reject the leases on the 777 fleet and stop operating it for the foreseeable future, and I'm sure they will stop maintaining their international pilot pool as well (with those pilots required to downgrade to the 737 or leave the company).
Agree will be a buyers/lessees market for wide body aircraft for some years. International banks/financiers will have aircraft they cannot sell/lease (little demand), Resale value less than book value.

Some VA B777's were owned and some leased.
However in the FY2019 VA Annual report pg 87 is a note "(4) The issued capital of these entities is pledged as security for the aeronautic finance facilities in note E3.".
Digging more that looks to be related to some B777 and other aircraft [VB LH 2008 No. 1 Pty Ltd & ]VB LH 2008 No. 2 Pty Ltd ?]. Will be some worried bankers

VH-VPE https://www.casa.gov.au/aircraft-reg...eld_ar_serial=
https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/...ctive-b777.htm
Old Aug 5, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If DL were to add another Australia flight in the future, Melbourne would make much more sense than Brisbane.
I agree, however VA for a time had SYD and BNE, but not MEL. Most likely due to BNE being less served by QF.

I think anything DL does will again depend on the saturation of a market, rather than if it is a bigger one or not.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:05 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I agree, however VA for a time had SYD and BNE, but not MEL. Most likely due to BNE being less served by QF.
BNE was a big hub for VA offering a lot of domestic connections, indeed not the case for QF.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mayhem
BNE was a big hub for VA offering a lot of domestic connections, indeed not the case for QF.
That makes sense on why VA had LAX - BNE and not LAX - MEL for a while despite Melbourne being larger than Brisbane.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
VA will be retiring its A330/B777 fleets and pretty much function as a domestic airline
Old Dec 13, 2021, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Wow...didn't see this coming: https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...es-partnership
Old Dec 13, 2021, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by metalblaze
No doubt! Delta and Virgin Australia will be no longer codeshare partnership and SkyMiles, too.

Bye bye Virgin Australia! Enjoy your new home. You will be with United Airlines.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Wow that’s going to cause some big pain for Delta when Australia eventually opens for business (who knows when that will be).

Unless ANZ is leaving *A (doubtful) DL is going to be completely boxed out of ANZ unless they add flights from the US.

I flew VA multiple times and it was a nice little partnership when you needed to get to cities other than Sydney. Maybe DL should’ve allocated some of those investment dollars they announced today for VA
Old Dec 13, 2021, 5:17 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
To the extent that VA doesn't resume long haul INTL on its own metal this doesn't really matter much to me... I wouldn't have flown UA over the Pacific before, and (if I ever fly TPAC again) I probably wouldn't fly UA over the Pacific in the future.

That said, this feels a bit like TYO... a token presence by DL from the US and that's about it...
Old Dec 13, 2021, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
This hurts a bit. I've enjoyed lounge access and the other elite perks with VA on my trips to Australia. Without long-haul flights of their own anymore though, I can see why VA might do better with UA and their additional routes beyond just LAX-SYD. Next time I fly to Australia, I'll still probably fly DL because I wouldn't want to forfeit the MQMs/MQDs, and book QF for any domestic hops.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bennos
To the extent that VA doesn't resume long haul INTL on its own metal this doesn't really matter much to me... I wouldn't have flown UA over the Pacific before, and (if I ever fly TPAC again) I probably wouldn't fly UA over the Pacific in the future.

That said, this feels a bit like TYO... a token presence by DL from the US and that's about it...
The problem is this basically means with DL you can fly to Sydney and that’s it.

Nowhere else in Australia, no New Zealand. So if all your business is Sydney that’s great. Otherwise will need to book separate tickets if you want DL
CPMaverick and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 7:40 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Was totally bummed to hear this too since I really like VA! Great lounges though only in the domestic terminals so of limited use when you are returning to the US.
Duke787 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.