Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying to Europe from USA in early May -- Coach or Premium Select?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying to Europe from USA in early May -- Coach or Premium Select?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2020, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I would certainly re-verify entry requirements... the EU travel ban doesn't allow entrance just for normal work or relocation, but for essential functions only if you are not a EU citizen or if you are a long term EU resident returning to your home.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, LH
I suggest the member sticks with an AMS itinerary instead of utilizing Air France through Paris. If this virus situation does not get better, and flight schedules are cancelled, it will be easier to find ground transportation from AMS to Copenhagen. It is about a 9 hour drive from Amsterdam to Copenhagen, and 13.5 - 14 hours from Paris to to Copenhagen.

Regarding the preferred cabin, I suggest PREMIUM SELECT. In my experience, the seats are far more comfortable than the Air France premium economy, and you have a nice leg rest for the trans-Atlantic overnight flight.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
From Germany there were always overnight trains to Copenhagen. The same should be relatively easy from AMS, although it would be good to be able to leave directly from the airport, possibly changing once in a city in northern Germany like Hamburg, rather than going through Amsterdam CS. OTOH, the TATL flights probably land too early to make the overnight trains reasonable unless one takes a day use room in an airport hotel upon arrival, or perhaps opts for a day of gentle fun in downtown Amsterdam.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:40 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Originally Posted by MarkCron
1 PS seat will be more comfortable than a row of C+/C. No brainer to me
I would take a row of Y any day over PS. Nothing beats lying down. No soft product can make up for that.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 1:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
From Germany there were always overnight trains to Copenhagen. The same should be relatively easy from AMS, although it would be good to be able to leave directly from the airport, possibly changing once in a city in northern Germany like Hamburg, rather than going through Amsterdam CS. OTOH, the TATL flights probably land too early to make the overnight trains reasonable unless one takes a day use room in an airport hotel upon arrival, or perhaps opts for a day of gentle fun in downtown Amsterdam.
There is no chance OP would be allowed into Germany, even to transit to Denmark.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LondonElite
There is no chance OP would be allowed into Germany, even to transit to Denmark.
OP is moving to Denmark for a new job, which should entitle OP and family to a residence visa. The question is whether this will be processed before arrival in Europe. If so, IIRC there was talk in another thread about someone flying to FRA and renting a car to drive to Denmark where the person was the spouse of a citizen.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP is moving to Denmark for a new job, which should entitle OP and family to a residence visa. The question is whether this will be processed before arrival in Europe. If so, IIRC there was talk in another thread about someone flying to FRA and renting a car to drive to Denmark where the person was the spouse of a citizen.
I think it’s very unlikely they would be permitted entry into Germany under the current regulations. A new move doesn’t qualify under anything I’ve read. Perhaps a direct flight to Copenhagen might work, but even that should be closely checked.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP GOLD, Delta Medallion Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think it’s very unlikely they would be permitted entry into Germany under the current regulations. A new move doesn’t qualify under anything I’ve read. Perhaps a direct flight to Copenhagen might work, but even that should be closely checked.
I was granted a work permit and residence visa effective March 11, 2020 for Denmark. While I don't know about travelling through Germany, I have triple checked in Denmark and have been told that I should not have a problem.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 12:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikmort
I was granted a work permit and residence visa effective March 11, 2020 for Denmark. While I don't know about travelling through Germany, I have triple checked in Denmark and have been told that I should not have a problem.
I doubt you would be permitted into Germany for transit, but the issue is a slightly different one. I think you would be denied boarding for a flight to Germany since the agents will be referencing Timatic and subsequent published notices, and even if you do make it to Germany your fate would lie in the hands of a border policeman. Best to travel to Denmark directly.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 8:15 pm
Suspended

I am considering booking a flight BOS-AMS-BOS for early July. I probably will fly D1 on the outbound and perhaps PE on the return (D1 return fare is very high). I don't think there will be a problem flying to AMS as I have a Dutch passport, but I wonder if the return will give troubles.
I hope most things are back to some sort of "normalcy" by then, but you never know of course.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Shouldn't be a problem flying to AMS then especially with a Dutch passport... but the bigger issue will be if DL resumes the BOS-AMS service by then, which will likely depend on if the EU opens their boarder restrictions in June.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by MarkCron
1 PS seat will be more comfortable than a row of C+/C. No brainer to me
disagree 100%. row of economy = poor man's lay flat.

edit: just realized I am late to the game. sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.