Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL to Extend Status to Feb-2022 due to COVID 19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
https://news.delta.com/delta-extends-medallion-status-club-memberships-and-more-support-skymiles-members-future-travel

https://www.delta.com/us/en/coronavirus-update-center/extending-skymiles-benefits
  • current 2020 Medallion status (including gifted and promotional) is being extended through January 31, 2022
  • all MQMs earned in 2020 will be rolled over into 2021, even for non-status members; this includes AMEX boost MQMs
  • Rollover MQMs from 2019 that are currently in members accounts WILL be included when everything rolls over into 2021
  • PMs/DMs who do not re-qualify organically, but instead have their 2020 status extended into 2021, will receive another set of Choice Benefits on Feb 1, 2021
  • many other benefits (including but not limited to upgrade certs, AMEX companion certs, SC memberships/Reserve guest passes) are being extended 6 months -- check the links above for details
  • "SkyMiles Members enrolled in a challenge or promotion to earn Medallion Status [...] can start a new promotion when they are ready to start traveling again if they missed out on achieving the requirements the first time."

Above is a summary, not a full list. See the links for more details.

Print Wikipost

DL to Extend Status to Feb-2022 due to COVID 19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
What about Rollover MQMs from 2019. If I rollover over 250K MQMs this year, will I be losing these all for next year?
You get to roll them over again into 2021
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
UA is probably lowering the status requirements as their new PQP qualification was basically a way to increase the amount of spend needed (there are no MQM/PQMs anymore on UA). This year on UA, you would have needed to spend a minimum of $4K for Silver, $8K for Gold, $12K for Plat, and $18K for 1K. I’d assume that the lower qualification rate for next will just go back to the old spend requirement of $3K/$6K/$9K/$15K.
it’s actually $24K for 1K if you don’t fly 54 PQS.

For hub flyers and those mainly fly internationally, it’s very hard to do 54 segments.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Those that are reached Diamond through activity this year presumably have Diamond status through January 2023, provided Delta doesn’t change the criteria
Can anyone confirm this - those who earn DM in 2020, will get DM status through January 2023?
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by metalblaze
Can anyone confirm this - those who earn DM in 2020, will get DM status through January 2023?
False. You get it thru Jan 2022.

Unless of course you earn it again 2021 (the special carryover rule will help you do so, but you'll still have to earn it)
lsquare and Duke787 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kjnangre
False. You get it thru Jan 2022.

Unless of course you earn it again 2021 (the special carryover rule will help you do so, but you'll still have to earn it)
I suppose anyone who earns DM status in 2021 will have it valid through January 2023.

By special carryover, you’re referring MQM rollover?
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by metalblaze
I suppose anyone who earns DM status in 2021 will have it valid through January 2023.

By special carryover, you’re referring MQM rollover?
Yes exactly. Since there is no MQD rollover, you have to earn those in 2021 (or earn a waiver in 2021) just like a normal year
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Yes exactly. Since there is no MQD rollover, you have to earn those in 2021 (or earn a waiver in 2021) just like a normal year
So basically they don't have to worry about MQM, but if they get the MQD taken care of, then DM will be extended to January 2023?
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
So basically they don't have to worry about MQM, but if they get the MQD taken care of, then DM will be extended to January 2023?
They still have to earn MQM, but they have 2 years to do so instead of 1. If they have already earned enough in the first 3 months of this year, then they are done. If not, they have 21 months starting now to get there
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes and Yes. That has always been true. Has nothing to do with this announcement. When you earn status, you get to enjoy it for the rest of the current year and the entire following year. (And January of the year following that too)

Yes, the full 76k. THIS is the new thing that is special for this year only. Normally, your carryover would be 76k - 75k = 1k MQM

Yes, the full 55k. THIS is the new thing that is special for this year only. Normally, your carryover would be 55k - 50k = 5k MQM
You can use my post as confirmation (or you can look here: https://www.delta.com/us/en/coronavi...miles-benefits)
This is incredibly customer friendly. Btw, I'm currently on the phone and have to cancel my flight to Tokyo next Tuesday due to the Japanese government travel restrictions. The Delta rep is fantastic. She's finalizing my changes while I'm on hold.
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They still have to earn MQM, but they have 2 years to do so instead of 1. If they have already earned enough in the first 3 months of this year, then they are done. If not, they have 21 months starting now to get there
Right and I thought we were on the same page. I was just using the example where someone on FT apparently already qualified for Diamond already. That's really impressive considering the MQM and MQD requirements! So since he's set until January 2023, I'm assuming he's going to have a lot of MQMs rolling over into 2024?
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
This is incredibly customer friendly. Btw, I'm currently on the phone and have to cancel my flight to Tokyo next Tuesday due to the Japanese government travel restrictions. The Delta rep is fantastic. She's finalizing my changes while I'm on hold.
That is the reason that many of us are loyal to Delta (but there are some in this forum who will disagree)
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:42 pm

Yes and Yes. That has always been true. Has nothing to do with this announcement. When you earn status, you get to enjoy it for the rest of the current year and the entire following year. (And January of the year following that too)

Yes, the full 76k. THIS is the new thing that is special for this year only. Normally, your carryover would be 76k - 75k = 1k MQM

Yes, the full 55k. THIS is the new thing that is special for this year only. Normally, your carryover would be 55k - 50k = 5k MQM
You can use my post as confirmation (or you can look here: https://www.delta.com/us/en/coronavi...miles-benefits)
Thanks! Now that I'm re-reading the relevant bullet on that Delta page, I see how it does in fact confirm what you're saying. This is super sweet.

This leaves one remaining question. If I qualify for Platinum during 2020, will I get the Platinum Choice benefits in both 2020 and 2021?
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is the reason that many of us are loyal to Delta (but there are some in this forum who will disagree)
Yea, it was nice and quick. I didn't even need to explain. Of course the Delta rep knew it would be COVID-19 related, but is also aware about the Japanese travel restrictions. No point for me to take the flight and the headache coming back.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalseek
Thanks! Now that I'm re-reading the relevant bullet on that Delta page, I see how it does in fact confirm what you're saying. This is super sweet.

This leaves one remaining question. If I qualify for Platinum during 2020, will I get the Platinum Choice benefits in both 2020 and 2021?
I think so. They're certainly not going to do anything to deter you from flying in 2020. I would love to fly with them next Tuesday if I could, but I can't!
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by goalseek

I've never been a Platinum and therefore I've never gotten a choice benefit, so I'll let someone else answer that. I don't want to guess.

Incidentally, I believe this MQM rollover special rule (combined with my MQD waiver) will allow me to achieve Platinum next year for the first time, so that's cool!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.