Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Only Passenger on flight tomorrow... what will happen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat

I am flying tomorrow RDU to JFK returning to my home away from home before I head home on the 28th (hopefully).

I just checked into my flight and it looks like I am the only one on board, do you suspect DELTA will try to re-route me or cancel the flight?

Im on DL 5216
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I am flying tomorrow RDU to JFK returning to my home away from home before I head home on the 28th (hopefully).

I just checked into my flight and it looks like I am the only one on board, do you suspect DELTA will try to re-route me or cancel the flight?

Im on DL 5216
How do you know you are the only one on board? I am showing 16 seats blocked out.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

All seats are available when I look at the seat map except for mine. Shows 60 seats in Coach available (Plane only has 40 coach seats maybe it ads the 20 from c+) with 20 in Comfort+ which is more seats then the plane even has.

Noone on either standby or upgrade list.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There may be some people without seat assignments such as those on a basic econ ticket or standby. Unlikely that you'll be only one, even with the coronavirus issues.

I just looked and I see 1 in F, 1 in C+, and maybe a dozen seats assigned in Y.

Sounds like good chances for an upgrade
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by tatterdema
How do you know you are the only one on board? I am showing 16 seats blocked out.
I also see 16 assigned; at a minimum I think 1A and 5B are real people and not artifacts of what gets published to the GDS.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

I am 1A

I guess I won't have to worry about the flight being canceled. I just want to get home.
ryw likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:03 pm
MRW

16 of out 76 seats booked (across all three classes).
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
If there are 16 pax then your chances of flying just went up to about 40%
rickg523 and WindowSeatFlyer like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I flew RDU-DCA on Saturday morning with 6 total, and I don't think there were many more on the return. You should be fine.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
It also depends on where Delta needs the plane next......

Bob H
HDQDD likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I am 1A

I guess I won't have to worry about the flight being canceled. I just want to get home.
You have the best seat on the plane and there's a (slight) chance that you'll be able to enjoy one of those rare opportunities to fly private on DL by being the only passenger in FC. Enjoy.

Flights rarely are cancelled due to low loads except during severe weather events etc. because usually the aircraft is needed elsewhere. However, with DL cutting so many flights, this may no longer be a consideration.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:53 am
Original Poster

The bird I am on just mad ea JFK > EWR flight.
I wonder how many were on that flight lol.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Contrary to popular belief, airlines don't cancel flights within 24 hours solely because they're empty*. Those crews and airplanes still have to get to their downline destinations. I don't know the specifics of DLC' contracts, but in most of the regional contracts I've seen, the operating carrier doesn't get paid if the flight doesn't operate so they have no incentive to cancel even if it has zero pax**. Now if an IROP event occurs (plane goes MX, weather goes down in JFK), flights that are lightly booked are higher on the chopping block for pax convenience.

*Those cancellations happen further out (like we see airlines announcing over the last few days). It's very disruptive to the schedule to put them in day of.
**There are exceptions to this. When I worked for UA, we could request UAX to cancel flights and then they would still get paid like 80% of the regular rate (we used this occasionally on really bad WX/ATC days). We'd cancel some UAX flights and then substitute UA flights in their place (known as "cancel/sub").
ekozie likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Contrary to popular belief, airlines don't cancel flights within 24 hours solely because they're empty*. Those crews and airplanes still have to get to their downline destinations. I don't know the specifics of DLC' contracts, but in most of the regional contracts I've seen, the operating carrier doesn't get paid if the flight doesn't operate so they have no incentive to cancel even if it has zero pax**. Now if an IROP event occurs (plane goes MX, weather goes down in JFK), flights that are lightly booked are higher on the chopping block for pax convenience.

*Those cancellations happen further out (like we see airlines announcing over the last few days). It's very disruptive to the schedule to put them in day of.
**There are exceptions to this. When I worked for UA, we could request UAX to cancel flights and then they would still get paid like 80% of the regular rate (we used this occasionally on really bad WX/ATC days). We'd cancel some UAX flights and then substitute UA flights in their place (known as "cancel/sub").
These are not normal times. Schedule adjustment can't keep up with the real-time changes so there are plenty of day-of DL cancellations for capacity right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.