Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta video of airplane "fogging" disinfecting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

https://news.delta.com/coronavirus-u...fogging-b-roll

This is a promotional video, but hopefully they are actually doing this on all planes.
maxjasper likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
When I flew around Southeast Asia last year they were doing something very similar to this on the flight before we landed. But I think that was more to kill mosquitos than a virus.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
I don’t find these videos very reassuring. Chemicals designed to kill everything are not something I want to be exposed to all the time.
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I don’t find these videos very reassuring. Chemicals designed to kill everything are not something I want to be exposed to all the time.
Half the people commenting they should always do this. The other half saying they don't want the chemicals.

Now we are going to get the people wanting "organic" cleaners. And they better be gluten free.

Anyway... I agree that I don't want them to do this all the time. But I find it reassuring they are taking extra steps at the moment. Just like at home when I am sick I take extra steps to disinfect, that I otherwise would not.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by m907
https://news.delta.com/coronavirus-u...fogging-b-roll

This is a promotional video, but hopefully they are actually doing this on all planes.
Some thoughts:

1) Obviously, I do not know what agent they are fogging with, but I have to wonder about the efficacy of fogging. By comparison, a Lysol-manufactured product that I purchased before everything went crazy instructs that a surface must remain wet for 4 minutes to be effectively disinfected.

2) If fogging is effective, is it (or why is it not) not done routinely during each flu season, regardless of unique considerations such as Covid? "CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010." (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html)

Of course, we are talking about an industry (I am not targeting DL alone here) that has trouble keeping its potable water tanks contagion-free.

BTW... if you are following instructions found on the internet to make your own hand sanitizer (mixing alchol and aloe gel, for example), CDC recommends that the alcohol content of the final mix must be at least 60%, by volume.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Mar 15, 2020 at 10:43 am
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
What is your opinion of the chlorination of drinking water?
defrosted likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: DL FO, WN AL
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Some thoughts:

1) Obviously, I do not know what agent they are fogging with, but I have to wonder about the efficacy of fogging. By comparison, a Lysol-manufactured product that I purchased before everything went crazy instructs that a surface must remain wet for 4 minutes to be effectively disinfected.

2) If fogging is effective, is it (or why is it not) not done routinely during each flu season, regardless of unique considerations such as Covid? "CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010." (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html)

Of course, we are talking about an industry (I am not targeting DL alone here) that has trouble keeping its potable water tanks contagion-free.

BTW... if you are following instructions found on the internet to make your own hand sanitizer (mixing alchol and aloe gel, for example), CDC recommends that the alcohol content of the final mix must be at least 60%, by volume.
EPA doesn't think there is sufficient evidence that fogging is effective. In fact, they pulled fogging claims back in 2013 for any public health organisms

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...ned-letter.pdf

If you read the label of products that are fogged, most are for "Odor Causing Bacteria" or other non-public health organisms.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spartan3186
EPA doesn't think there is sufficient evidence that fogging is effective. In fact, they pulled fogging claims back in 2013 for any public health organisms

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...ned-letter.pdf

If you read the label of products that are fogged, most are for "Odor Causing Bacteria" or other non-public health organisms.
Thanks for the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.