Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

CLT DL expansion including gate adds and Skyclub

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM (1 MM), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (Ambassador 2020-24), National Executive

Yesterday when I checked-in my bag, I had a nice conversation with the agent behind the counter. As many of you are aware, there's currently underway a multi-billion dollar expansion that includes a number of terminal additions and modernization of airport infrastructure. Right now DL occupies about half a dozen gates in A Terminal, with directs to DLC hubs as well as NYC (JFK & LGA).

According to the agent, with the additions of terminal buildings next to the A Terminal, DL will get their own terminal of about 10-12 gates. In addition to the likelihood of adding a Skyclub, they will also expand their routes with directs to BOS, LAX, SEA, and add an evening flight to SLC. It's probably 4-6 years away, but still promising developments if all true!
Duke787 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
The SkyClub has been rumored for a while. I believe there's lounge space on the second level of the A expansion. CLT is in an interesting spot, both geographically and in DL's network - right between ATL and RDU. LAX and SEA would be the most likely DL adds - if they add anything at all.

AA is the only carrier from CLT to LAX and SEA. AS to SEA is long-rumored, but probably moot now that they're joining OW. I wonder if the O/D numbers would support a second carrier on either of these routes.

B6 is 3x/day to BOS, along with AA around 9x, though B6 timings are targeted for ex-BOS passengers. B6 has historically struggled in CLT - they dropped JFK fairly recently, and I think FLL was dropped before that. Again, I wonder if the O/D on this route would support another carrier.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by the_bob123
Yesterday when I checked-in my bag, I had a nice conversation with the agent behind the counter. As many of you are aware, there's currently underway a multi-billion dollar expansion that includes a number of terminal additions and modernization of airport infrastructure. Right now DL occupies about half a dozen gates in A Terminal, with directs to DLC hubs as well as NYC (JFK & LGA).

According to the agent, with the additions of terminal buildings next to the A Terminal, DL will get their own terminal of about 10-12 gates. In addition to the likelihood of adding a Skyclub, they will also expand their routes with directs to BOS, LAX, SEA, and add an evening flight to SLC. It's probably 4-6 years away, but still promising developments if all true!
I doubt we're going to see any sort of expansion in the near to medium term due to all the economic fallout from Covid19 and the oil crash. I think it would be highly unlikely DL would add SEA or LAX from CLT. Their yield would be garbage with all the capacity AA has on the routes. BOS will likely happen, skyclub is also possible. Maybe JFK/LGA if they don't already have it. Everything else makes a lot more sense to flow through traditional DL hubs since they're competing with a fortress hub at CLT.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I doubt we're going to see any sort of expansion in the near to medium term due to all the economic fallout from Covid19 and the oil crash.....
Except expansion plans are often months to years in the making. Gates, lounge construction, etc take lots of time.

Just my 1.5 cents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.