Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying With Broken Seat

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Flying With Broken Seat

A large guy attempting to recline into an exit row broke the seat back today. He landed in my lap. Drinks flew, laptop fell and 23D was kaput.

The FA said since it was an exit row, the MD88 would be taken out of service.

And yet...the plane was reboarded for a quick turnaround and pushed on time. I doubt the affected rows were blocked off as no gate announcement was made to re-seat anyone.

Is this SOP?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:54 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Ground crew might have removed the seat back or fixed it during the turn around. Thus resolving the issue.
Spiff and jalves like this.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Feb 21, 2020 at 6:00 pm
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Ground crew might have removed the seat back or fixed it during the turn around. Thus resolving the issue.
Plane didn't finish deplaning until 3:20 and pushed at 3:55.

My guess is the crew never reported it. But I'm often mistaken.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
A large guy attempting to recline into an exit row broke the seat back today. He landed in my lap. Drinks flew, laptop fell and 23D was kaput.

The FA said since it was an exit row, the MD88 would be taken out of service.

And yet...the plane was reboarded for a quick turnaround and pushed on time. I doubt the affected rows were blocked off as no gate announcement was made to re-seat anyone.

Is this SOP?
FAs aren’t 100% privy to the minimum equipment list. The FA probably assumed it was a no go item. It takes maintenance very little time to slap inop tape on the seat and it only affects two passengers, the seat itself and the row behind. So a gatehouse announcement is very unlikely. I’d be willing to bet MX went on once they had the chance and removed the seat back, innoped the two seats, while the cleaners were on and completed the paperwork during deplaning. Also based on the time stamps you provided it’s likely that the outbound wasn’t full, thus making reaccomodating the affected seats (if any) very easy. The md88 is also the only aircraft I’ve experienced in my career with seat backs removed so I imagine MX is pretty versed on its removal.
jalves likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Was the seat broken backwards into exit row? Unless that was the case or they couldn't restrain the seat (ie tape or have mechanic restrain it to keep it from falling backward) there's no issue. Most likely mechanic came onboard, made a temp fix (or fixed it, depending on what was broken) and plane was on the way.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Was the seat broken backwards into exit row? Unless that was the case or they couldn't restrain the seat (ie tape or have mechanic restrain it to keep it from falling backward) there's no issue. Most likely mechanic came onboard, made a temp fix (or fixed it, depending on what was broken) and plane was on the way.
typically they just remove the seat back to keep the plane flying. That seat and the one behind it is placed inop and blocked. Seen it a few times on that fleet, once the plane has some time in a MX base they put a new one in or replace the seat set.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 7:04 am

I had a recent broken seat back experience on Delta. Not in the exit row, but the seat would not stay upright and would recline back on its own (discovered while in flight). Told the FA who had no idea how to handle the situation other than to yell at me not to recline the seat. Finally the pushed the seat forward at a near 45 degree angle with my head pressed against the seat in front of me for landing. Fun times.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dc10forlife
I had a recent broken seat back experience on Delta. Not in the exit row, but the seat would not stay upright and would recline back on its own (discovered while in flight). Told the FA who had no idea how to handle the situation other than to yell at me not to recline the seat. Finally the pushed the seat forward at a near 45 degree angle with my head pressed against the seat in front of me for landing. Fun times.
I had that once, seat just reclined on it's own. So I explained to the pax behind me and profusely apologized and just let it recline. You are a better person than I for trying to keep it from reclining.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 3:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I've seen people do the move OP describes as how the seat broke. They basically put all their weight on the upper part of the seat to get up or trying to get it to recline more than it is intended to. I've been shocked at how much force the seats can take without breaking..... apparently, sometimes they do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.