Wiki Posts
Search

Stolen cell phone - any recourse?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SM
Stolen cell phone - any recourse?

I made a pretty dumb mistake that I regret now in hindsight. On Wednesday I flew from RSW-MSP on the last non-stop of the nite. I made a text, then put my phone in my seatback pocket right before take off. I was traveling solo. I got upgraded to first class, window seat and only had one seatmate on the aisle. Stayed in seat whole flight except for leaving it a few times to go to the bathroom, but didn't take my cell phone with, and didn't think of it, or look for it until we landed and were taxing to the gate. Looked for it all over the seat pockets and under the seat as much as I could and it was gone. I figured it may have gotten jostled when I got up (it was in the top half pocket), and it fell under the other seats. Waited until others left and started looking for it, no luck. 2 flight attendants, and even the pilot helped look for it for about 10 mins, no where to be found. I am pretty sure my seatmate probably lifted it when I left my seat. can't prove it of course, and a chance it may not be the case, but that is certainly my strong suspicion.

I filed a lost item form online with Delta in case it ever turns up. Also filed out form for MSP airport for lost item. Called Airport police and described situation, and they gave me a case number, but said other than checking with a gate agent or two, probably not much they could do.

I am completely at fault for not taking my cell phone with me when I got up from my seat each time. Just checking to see if there is any other recourse in situations like this or am I pretty much SOL? I think it is the later but please let me know if anything else I can do. Again, live and learn, but wanted to check online with people's experience. Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you tried to phone/text your stolen phone?
nancypants and Adam1222 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
If its apple, have you tried the 'find my' app? I dont know much about android but id assume they have some similar tracking apps?
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
If its apple, have you tried the 'find my' app? I dont know much about android but id assume they have some similar tracking apps?
Yes, Android has a find my phone feature. You can also remotely wipe it and 'brick' it. You can even install an app that takes a pic of anyone trying to unlock it. The phone has to be on/connected for this to work obv...
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:26 pm

With the police report you might have a claim with homeowners insurance or even credit card lost/stolen item benefits.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Yes, sorry , forgot to mention I tried to call, no luck. Android, find my phone stopped location when I put into airplane mode, nothing since. It'll get wiped if it ever goes back online. Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I have used the Find My iPhone successfully. I located the phone then called the cops. In this case somehow the night before I dropped it and did not know it and someone picked it up. They left it in their vehicle while they went to work. Of course they left the phone on and picking up a cell signal.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Feb 14, 2020 at 7:17 pm
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:08 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
10 bucks says it's lost in the seat. I had this happen to me recently took me over 2 hours to find my iPhone luckily I noticed 20 minutes into the flight and had 3 hours to figure out where it was. It was in the seatback pocket I put it in but for some reason couldn't feel it until I shoved my arm halfway down the pocket.
Often1, anniegray and Hepsaint like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL will provide the other passenger's name to law enforcement upon presentation of proper paperwork, typically a subpoena. Problem is that's not an effort an overworked local police department is likely to make, given that even if your seatmate is located and interviewed, there's not much to be done presuming that the seatmate simply denies it.

Make a claim on your insurance and see where it gets you. Most insurers will determine that you were negligent in leaving it out, but one never knows, so it's worth the claim, although you do have to consider the phone's fair market value less any deductible.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

I did search the seatback and seat very well, as did a flight attendant. She pulled off the seat underneath too, but true, anything is possible.

If anyone happens to be flying DL1933 in the future, and sitting in seat 5A, they have my permission to tear the seat and seatback apart.
gagajm likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by SpiceMSP
I made a pretty dumb mistake that I regret now in hindsight. On Wednesday I flew from RSW-MSP on the last non-stop of the nite. I ... Stayed in seat whole flight except for leaving it a few times to go to the bathroom, but didn't take my cell phone with, and didn't think of it, or look for it until we landed and were taxing to the gate. Looked for it all over the seat pockets and under the seat as much as I could and it was gone. ... Waited until others left and started looking for it, no luck. 2 flight attendants, and even the pilot helped look for it for about 10 mins, no where to be found. ...
Originally Posted by SpiceMSP
... If anyone happens to be flying DL1933 in the future, and sitting in seat 5A, they have my permission to tear the seat and seatback apart.

um, you DO know that the same jet doesn’t fly the same routes day after day ...

Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:57 pm

Programs: none
I think this one chalks up to "File your insurance claim and move on". (And maybe keep better track of your stuff next time.)
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It’s just a phone. All this police stuff seems to be a bit much.
Adam1222 and anniegray like this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 4:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
It’s just a phone. All this police stuff seems to be a bit much.
you are correct, but the issue is that, in this day and age.. people lives are on their phone.. who now. writes down phone numbers etc.. loose you phone.. loose our contacts
plus some (not me) keep banking info/CC info etc.. that can be prove to be a problem...
craig44485 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 4:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I have used the Find My iPhone successfully. I located the phone then called the cops. In this case somehow the night before I dropped it and did not know it and someone picked it up. They left it in their vehicle while they went to work. Of course they left the phone on and picking up a cell signal.
Why oh why do you need to steal a phone if you have a job and a car...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.