Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No refund or redeposit for award tickets <72 hours - change in applied policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No refund or redeposit for award tickets <72 hours - change in applied policy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM MM
That's an interesting point. As a DM, I've booked many award flights far in advance and then cancelled them if I found cheap cash fares on the same flight later (always long before T72). I know the topic is flexibility of <T72 cancellations but has anyone lost their normal T72 cancellation benefit because of overuse? BTW, I'm talking about cancelling about a half dozen tickets per year, somewhat high but not some crazy number.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I have had hundreds of awards and redeposits for my family of 5 often double and triple booking combinations of one way trips of many permutations and combinations for each of us. As long as a booking is not impossible/conflicting it is within the rules and I have never been told otherwise. No different than frequently buying the cheapest F and doing SDC to a more expensive F same-day booking.
On double or triple booking - that is not allowed. You are not allowed to book a trip you don’t intend to take by the program rules, which you can’t possibly intend to take multiple permutations of the same journey.

No wonder SkyMiles awards are so hard to come by reasonably - folks like you hog permutations for a family of 5 and then some, then ask for multiple exceptions to roll it forward and do it again. Sheesh.

And it’s completely different from a SDC of a cheap Z class ticket to a day-of last seat that would otherwise be a J fare.

One difference: what you are doing is forbidden by the rules, while the SDC transaction is explicitly allowed by the program rules.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:24 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fotographer
sorry for asking, but what is a 360?
Delta's invitation only status - above a Diamond.

Delta 360° is an annual, invitation-only program for our top SkyMiles Members, offering an exclusive suite of benefits and services even beyond Diamond Medallion Status. An invitation into Delta 360° is based on your overall investment with Delta. If you’re selected to join, we’ll contact you directly.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles.../million-miler (bottom of page)
fotographer likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
The "policy" here is that Delta's Risk-Free Cancellation policy trumps Delta's 72-hour redeposit rule. Many agents have explained this to me.

To the folks saying this is a favor or an exception, you're wrong. Its an instance where two policies collide.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Thats because the 24 hour rule is a law, while the 72 hour rule is a Delta policy. Laws trump rules
The 24 hour rule is not "law" within one week of departure. DL is more generous than the "law" in that it applies the same policy close-in. (Jet Blue, for example, does not). But I agree that the close-in 24 hour "rule" seems to trump the 72 hour "rule."
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by xliioper
Actually, the "law" only requires the 24 hour rule be applied to tickets booked at least 7 days out. DL is going beyond what is required by the law with it's 24 hour policy.
Originally Posted by flyerwma
The 24 hour rule is not "law" within one week of departure. DL is more generous than the "law" in that it applies the same policy close-in. (Jet Blue, for example, does not). But I agree that the close-in 24 hour "rule" seems to trump the 72 hour "rule."
You're right! I missed that it excludes within 7 day windows. Learned something new today
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
But seriously - how is that a softer landing? To ask them to change the dates but keep the fare the same?
No, check that the fare is the same, then request that the date be changed. That might be easier than waiving the cancellation penalty.

And cancelling a mileage ticket a week out doesn't require lying, just ask them to cancel it. They don't need a reason.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
definitely a YMMV situation ... I’m PM/MM, called in to cancel an award ticket ~T-18 and said I knew I would forfeit the 8500 miles; agent said “They don’t always enforce that, so you’ll probably see the miles redeposited within 24 hours” ... truth ...
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A321neo
The "policy" here is that Delta's Risk-Free Cancellation policy trumps Delta's 72-hour redeposit rule. Many agents have explained this to me.

To the folks saying this is a favor or an exception, you're wrong. Its an instance where two policies collide.
OP makes no indication they were still within Risk-Free window for cancellation and seems to have believed the 72-hour rule did not apply to DM's and 360's simply because they had not been enforcing it.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: DL DM
I have had very accommodating agents in my experience who have told me that they have flexibility with the T-72 rule on award tickets. One technique I have used within T-72 is to change the flights to any dummy date far in the future that has the same price in miles (I research this first) due to a family or work issue. This is a softer landing for the agent in terms of waivers and favors. Then I subsequently call in to cancel it.
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
And you don't think Delta is tracking this? I think Delta still looks at a change as a redeposit (you can check your account and see that the miles are put back in and then taken out again). Exactly the type of thing that could make Delta review procedures and close loop holes.
I have had hundreds of awards and redeposits for my family of 5 often double and triple booking combinations of one way trips of many permutations and combinations for each of us. As long as a booking is not impossible/conflicting it is within the rules and I have never been told otherwise. No different than frequently buying the cheapest F and doing SDC to a more expensive F same-day booking.
And then you wonder why people complain when loopholes are closed. From my vantage point, I would hope business actively track these and make it a point to close the loopholes selectively.

Maybe that’s just me but I would promote being supportive and lenient to clients but not for the one that continually seeks to bend the rules.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:47 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by cre95
And then you wonder why people complain when loopholes are closed. From my vantage point, I would hope business actively track these and make it a point to close the loopholes selectively.

Maybe that’s just me but I would promote being supportive and lenient to clients but not for the one that continually seeks to bend the rules.
Exactly. Maybe once a year, I ask for a waiver of the 72 hour rule. None of this, trying to change it first business, then canceling online immediately after. That is unethical, at least.

I’m just straight up honest with them, and they are usually accommodating.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I've been PM since 2011, and I've called Delta exactly once about an award redeposit within the 72 hour period (in fact, early on the morning of a trip that would start that evening). I stated my case (my son was traveling with me out of the country but got sick) and asked if anything could be done. The agent simply said she was sorry to hear about my son getting sick and that I would get my miles redeposited and the tax/fees charged refunded.
btonkid12345 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.