Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Buying 2 coach seats for one person / EXST on Delta (Consolidated Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying 2 coach seats for one person / EXST on Delta (Consolidated Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Step 1 complete - the seats have been purchased^

We did have to call (FO Medallion line) because the tech support line told us this was a special purchase (trying to remember her exact wording - my husband was the one on the phone; we're both FO this year)

We booked 3 seats on the flights we wanted and immediately purchased the EC upgrade to reserve the row of 3 we wanted. We did have to pay the $25 service fee for phone booking () but worth it to get what we want. Showing up in both our online accounts as part of the upcoming itinerary (as "EXST Heel") so fingers crossed.

The one thing that isn't showing is an indication about a requested medallion upgrade for the domestic portion of our trip. Doesn't say anything at all where it normally would say "Medallion Upgrade Requested" or "Not Upgrade Eligible" so I'll wait until tomorrow and if it shows the same, I'll tweet to see what's up.

So, mid-September, hopefully I'll update that we had no issues at all flying with our 3 seats for 2 people....
Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:53 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
We did have to call (FO Medallion line)
Silvers hava line???

At least the story has a Silver Line-ing!!!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Well, it *is* a different phone number (on the back of our cards) than the main Delta reservation line, but is it any different otherwise? Not sure. But tonight, the wait was very short and she was very helpful in that we got what we want without confusion.....
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Well, it *is* a different phone number (on the back of our cards) than the main Delta reservation line, but is it any different otherwise? Not sure. But tonight, the wait was very short and she was very helpful in that we got what we want without confusion.....
I'm not sure you get dedicated agents but you do go to the front of the wait.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:16 am
Original Poster

The one thing that isn't showing is an indication about a requested medallion upgrade for the domestic portion of our trip. Doesn't say anything at all where it normally would say "Medallion Upgrade Requested" or "Not Upgrade Eligible" so I'll wait until tomorrow and if it shows the same, I'll tweet to see what's up.
Tweeting this morning - turns out because that extra seat doesn't have a skymiles number the entire itinerary wasn't eligible for upgrades on the domestic leg. Before I could say "no", they separated all the itineraries so we would be eligible for upgrades.

I'm torn on this. Is it worth having us separated for the off-chance of an upgrade on a 2 hr flight or should I cancel entire itinerary (within 24hr grace period) and start over so we can stay on same PNR?? Normally I wouldn't care as much - we're adults, we stay on top of seat assignments online and if we did happen to be separated by flight issues, we could manage getting back home. But in this case - with that extra seat - could be more important to stay on same PNR?

Thoughts?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by davetravels
Silvers hava line???
FWIW I recently helped a DM friend track down a missing credit in her account & called the airline on her behalf using the lowly FO # that's been stored in my contacts since the late '90s. I plugged in her SkyMiles # and the agent picked up, thank you for calling the Diamond Line, how may I assist you Ms.DM. Actually I had to call twice, same response both times (though one agent used her first name & the other her last). No surprise the trick is the SkyMiles # not the phone # you call.

Back OT - is EXST considered a companion for upgrade purposes? (ETA: didn't see OP's response above updating upgrade status.)
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:31 am

Tweeting this morning - turns out because that extra seat doesn't have a skymiles number the entire itinerary wasn't eligible for upgrades on the domestic leg. Before I could say "no", they separated all the itineraries so we would be eligible for upgrades.

I'm torn on this. Is it worth having us separated for the off-chance of an upgrade on a 2 hr flight or should I cancel entire itinerary (within 24hr grace period) and start over so we can stay on same PNR?? Normally I wouldn't care as much - we're adults, we stay on top of seat assignments online and if we did happen to be separated by flight issues, we could manage getting back home. But in this case - with that extra seat - could be more important to stay on same PNR?

Thoughts?

If they are willing to waive the $25 fee for the second booking, AND also waive the first retroactively, I'd go ahead and cancel, and then put it all together. If you have a rebooking or equip change, the EXST PAX will not get EC again, without calling and more hassle. If the whole point is to have an entire row, then you'll want to have the row.

Re: upgrade -- is the first leg on a X-3 config? If so, wouldn't that entire row be just as good for a 2 hour flight as domestic FC? (IF you get FC, with 2 linked silvers, below all other UG requests, except non-rev and Starwood).
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CabinCaptive
If they are willing to waive the $25 fee for the second booking, AND also waive the first retroactively, I'd go ahead and cancel, and then put it all together. If you have a rebooking or equip change, the EXST PAX will not get EC again, without calling and more hassle. If the whole point is to have an entire row, then you'll want to have the row.

Re: upgrade -- is the first leg on a X-3 config? If so, wouldn't that entire row be just as good for a 2 hour flight as domestic FC? (IF you get FC, with 2 linked silvers, below all other UG requests, except non-rev and Starwood).
AS and AF/KLM elites would be below two FOs but above SPG elites and nonrevs, who technically are standing be for FC or coach seats rather than on an upgrade wait list.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CabinCaptive
IRe: upgrade -- is the first leg on a X-3 config?
Yes and that's why I didn't really want them to separate the itineraries but as I said - they did it before I could state my preference to keep on same PNR.

I'll see if they are willing to waive booking fee and rebook. Current fare is the same....Wonder if DeltaAssist would do it since they made the change I don't want, or if I'd have to call in again....

(If it were a longer domestic route I might feel differently as well, but it's a 6am flight that's just under 2 hrs, and upon return - we'll be getting off a 14hr flight, so....eh)
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Love Twitter & Delta Assist. With help of special ticketing dept (?) they re-issued back to where we were before I started trying to "fix" things this morning. Same seats, same price, no new fees - just a new confirmation number. So I'm happy. And I'm not going to try to fix anything, just keep an eye on equipment changes/seat assignments.

And now to try to figure out the China visa application. It's changed since the last time I did it....

Thanks for your input!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AS and AF/KLM elites would be below two FOs but above SPG elites and nonrevs, who technically are standing be for FC or coach seats rather than on an upgrade wait list.
Yes -- you are correct! Thank you, I was oversimplifying the order.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:54 am

Love Twitter & Delta Assist. With help of special ticketing dept (?) they re-issued back to where we were before I started trying to "fix" things this morning. Same seats, same price, no new fees - just a new confirmation number. So I'm happy. And I'm not going to try to fix anything, just keep an eye on equipment changes/seat assignments.

And now to try to figure out the China visa application. It's changed since the last time I did it....

Thanks for your input!
Glad it worked. Happy travels (and good luck with the visa)!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Follow-up:
Travel is complete and we did have 3 economy comfort seats for 2 travelers for each leg of our journey. We weren't able to check in online (makes sense - no documents for the EXST and we were going international....) A little confusion at RDU - the desk agent wasn't sure how to check in the extra seat - but a more knowledgeable agent showed him how (just use the passport info from one of the other passengers) and we boarded. Similar issue in Shanghai (they only printed 2 of the boarding passes but we checked before we left the counter, the agents conferred and printed the 3rd.....)

At a fraction of the cost of 2 business class seats, 3 EC seats enabled my husband to sleep on the TPAC flights (well, me too, but I normally don't have a problem sleeping upright). Worth the money & hassle to us. Though if we do it again, hopefully it won't be a hassle since we'll know what to do (and what not to do....)
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Follow-up:
Travel is complete and we did have 3 economy comfort seats for 2 travelers for each leg of our journey. We weren't able to check in online (makes sense - no documents for the EXST and we were going international....) A little confusion at RDU - the desk agent wasn't sure how to check in the extra seat - but a more knowledgeable agent showed him how (just use the passport info from one of the other passengers) and we boarded. Similar issue in Shanghai (they only printed 2 of the boarding passes but we checked before we left the counter, the agents conferred and printed the 3rd.....)

At a fraction of the cost of 2 business class seats, 3 EC seats enabled my husband to sleep on the TPAC flights (well, me too, but I normally don't have a problem sleeping upright). Worth the money & hassle to us. Though if we do it again, hopefully it won't be a hassle since we'll know what to do (and what not to do....)
Congrats on the success, sounds like a great way to fly long distance with out the enormous expense of FC.

I'm glad I have all this information for future reference!
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
It would be great if us airlines would do this "family couch" (See China Airlines and New Zealand Air)

http://www.airlinetrends.com/2014/06...w-b777-300ers/

And

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/economy-skycouch

Last edited by Bear4Asian; Sep 25, 2014 at 12:17 pm Reason: Added a link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.