Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Buying 2 coach seats for one person / EXST on Delta (Consolidated Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying 2 coach seats for one person / EXST on Delta (Consolidated Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
I did this with my parents a couple months ago. The reservation agent said they have to book it a certain way -- I'm not sure if that's really true thoguh
Old Jul 24, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
TSA doesn't care about the extra seat, but if you have more than one flight in the itinerary make sure the extra seat is checked in (get a boarding pass, which will probably require an agent) and boarded (GA usually just scans the BP) correctly, or the subsequent segments may be canceled.

Note for INTL this gets more complicated (for the agents, not for you) due to passport verification requirements.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
I did this with my parents a couple months ago. The reservation agent said they have to book it a certain way -- I'm not sure if that's really true thoguh
You can book yourself for all DL metal reservations. Only need agent when adding partners.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect that if two people are traveling together and the EXST is purchased, there's implicitly a right to have EXST assigned next to one of the passengers (otherwise it would be pointless to purchase the extra ticket if it becomes some random empty middle seat somewhere on the flight) but not necessarily between the two of them. If seat assignments are shuffled for any reason (such as aircraft type change) or no reason at all, the customers could lose their nice row of three seats.

OTOH, if someone buys an extra seat, they have property rights to all of that seat. It's not the same as two random strangers getting lucky and having a free seat between them, where the norm would be for them to share the extra space.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
MQD's on Multiple Seats (Same Person)

Delta has an established process for booking multiple adjacent seats for the same passenger, and indicate that the passenger can get credited SkyMiles for both seats (if they reach out for manual handling). While I wouldn't expect this to also give you the additional MQM/MQS presumably it might count towards MQD? I've called and spoken with two reservations agents this morning who could not provide a definitive answer.

Anyone have experience with this?

(For context, I have an upcoming flight with 2 good friends on a 737 in First with a 2-2 configuration. We're arguing over who gets to sit together, and who gets stuck alone next to a stranger. I entirely jokingly suggested we just buy the 4th seat in our row so we could rotate seats mid-flight and everyone gets a chance to sit next to everyone - I know that sounds absolutely ridiculous but my friends thought it was a brilliant idea and want to try it, so here I am haha)
Old Aug 30, 2022, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See consolidated thread on topic -- Buying 2 coach seats for one person / EXST on Delta (Consolidated Threads)
Indications are they will award RDM credit for extra seat purchase, but not MQM/MQS/MQD credit towards status qualification.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 8:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper
See consolidated thread on topic -- Buying 2 coach seats for one person / EXST on Delta (Consolidated Threads)
Indications are they will award RDM credit for extra seat purchase, but not MQM/MQS/MQD credit towards status qualification.
Thanks! You're a master-searcher - I wasn't able to dig up anything on the topic!
Old Aug 30, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Just please don't set up a separate SkyMiles account for pEXSTmadden. DL doesn't like it when people do this, or get FF accounts for their musical instruments.
Frozenguy likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
For some reason this seems to be industry standard for EXTRASEAT - award miles but no status credit for the extra ticket.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmadden
I have an upcoming flight with 2 good friends on a 737 in First with a 2-2 configuration
Will they even sell you an unoccupied extra seat in First Class?

If so, cue the inevitable Flight Departed with Empty Seat in First; I Was #1 on Upgrade List thread.
SUPERTRAVEL, becks1, WSTC and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by kale73

If so, cue the inevitable Flight Departed with Empty Seat in First; I Was #1 on Upgrade List thread.
I assume they would if some musician traveling with an instrument wanted to pay for FC.

"I lost my upgrade to a violin."

Another example might be a large service dog: "I lost my upgrade to a Great Dane."
Old Aug 30, 2022, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kale73

All they care is "How will you be paying?"
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Another example might be a large service dog: "I lost my upgrade to a Great Dane."
So I can get my emotional support boa constrictor, Fluffy, her own domestic D1 seat the next time I have to go to LA? That’s such a relief!
Old Aug 30, 2022, 3:17 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jimrpa
So I can get my emotional support boa constrictor, Fluffy, her own domestic D1 seat the next time I have to go to LA? That’s such a relief!
Delta wouldn't have you travel without your main squeeze.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL 1MM PM: UA Plat
Originally Posted by Beckles
Delta wouldn't have you travel without your main squeeze.
Well done! 👏👏👏

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.