Buying 2 coach seats for myself

Old Feb 2, 20, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Buying 2 coach seats for myself

Hello all. I'm Chris and I just signed up here to ask this specific question and hopefully get some help from those who have done it.

I've Googled this subject and still confused if this is accepted by Delta. I'd like to do this for my next domestic trip (4+ hours one way) and want to ensure I won't run into problems. Is it really as simple as just booking and paying for 2 seats on the website? And when on board and go to my seat, would the FA override this and if they wish and place someone in that empty seat if they choose?

Long story short, I has the WORST 4 hour flight yesterday scrunched up so far against the window, I thought i'd fall out of the plane due to an extra large passenger occupying the middle seat. It was a hellish nightmare that I never wish to repeat again. I figure the cheapest alternative is to buy the window and middle seat for myself to ensure I have space to at least move my arms. (which I did not on yesterday's flight).

If anyone has done this please share your experience, especially if it was on Delta because they're my preferred airline. (Yesterday's incident was on American which I will NEVER fly again) I've done a couple of dummy bookings on Delta and it appears it's cheaper buying 2 coach seats than 1 First Class ticket.
Old Feb 2, 20, 3:02 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG PLT (LT Gold), TK Gold, M&M S, BA Silver, Hyatt Dia
Hi Chris,

Welcome to FT. Although I have never done this myself it certainly seems feasible:

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...-comfort-.html
Old Feb 2, 20, 3:02 pm

No, it's not that simple. Delta won't let you simply book two seats for the same person. The process involves using your same last name, but with a first name of EXST. I haven't done it personally and am thinking it's probably best to go through an agent so they get everything documented correctly. Oops, just got beat to the post.

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...-comfort-.html
rogo likes this.
Old Feb 2, 20, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I did see that on the Delta website earlier, but it appears those instructions are specifically for travel agents booking seats. Do these same instructions apply for passengers booking on Delta site as well? And it also appears the instructions are for large people to book the extra seat for their comfort. It's not clear if it applies to smaller people looking for their own comfort as well. I know I can probably just call Delta on this, but i'm profoundly hearing impaired and it's much easier to ask the experts here and hopefully get other's experience who have done it in the past.

Hopefully others will chime in. Thanks again.
Old Feb 2, 20, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=xliioper;32024838]No, it's not that simple. Delta won't let you simply book two seats for the same person. The process involves using your same last name, but with a first name of EXST. I haven't done it personally and am thinking it's probably best to go through an agent so they get everything documented correctly. Oops, just got beat to the post/QUOTE]

Ok, so that link is for agents to book 2 seats. OK, thanks for the clarification. I guess that's my best bet then and i'll seek out an agent to do this for me. Thanks.
Old Feb 2, 20, 3:16 pm

Programs: Float between DL Gold and DL Platinum; "alum" of consistent mid-high tier status on UA
Normally, but not always, one first class seat is cheaper than two economy seats. And, given the choice, I'd rather have a first class seat than two economy seats. Additionally, (1) it'd be an easier, more straightforward booking, not subject to something going awry, (2) you'd get the perqs of first class - free checked baggage, fast security line, early boarding, enhanced on-board service (meals, drinks, snacks, etc.).
Old Feb 2, 20, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by andrewk829 View Post
Normally, but not always, one first class seat is cheaper than two economy seats. And, given the choice, I'd rather have a first class seat than two economy seats. Additionally, (1) it'd be an easier, more straightforward booking, not subject to something going awry, (2) you'd get the perqs of first class - free checked baggage, fast security line, early boarding, enhanced on-board service (meals, drinks, snacks, etc.).
this .... make sure you check FC prices
Old Feb 2, 20, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you buy a FC seat you earn RDMs and MQDs on the higher fare as well as 150% (or 200% for a FULL fare) MQMs. EXST doesn't earn any FF benefits or credit on DL.
Old Feb 2, 20, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Those instructions work for you to book yourself. Just book the 2nd passenger as EXST for first name and your last name. When you checkin at counter, all you have to do is make sure agent sees that the 2nd passenger is really an empty seat.

Do not put a Skymile number in for the 2nd seat passengpassed an elite you'll only be upgraded to one seat, not two.
Old Feb 2, 20, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Those instructions work for you to book yourself. Just book the 2nd passenger as EXST for first name and your last name. When you checkin at counter, all you have to do is make sure agent sees that the 2nd passenger is really an empty seat.

Do not put a Skymile number in for the 2nd seat passengpassed an elite you'll only be upgraded to one seat, not two.
Old Feb 2, 20, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
If width is the concern, 2 coach seats are wider than 1 first class seat. Just saying.
Annalisa12 and WheelsUpGal like this.
Old Feb 2, 20, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More discussion on this topic in this existing thread.
EXST on Delta?

i wouldn’t say that “normally” FC is less than 2x coach, but of course I would check both.
When you’re traveling with 2 passengers, 3x coach will almost always be quite a bit less than 2x FC since each pax is effectively paying only a 50% premium vs 100% when it’s a solo pax for the extra seat.
Hoyaheel and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 2, 20, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If you buy a FC seat you earn RDMs and MQDs on the higher fare as well as 150% (or 200% for a FULL fare) MQMs. EXST doesn't earn any FF benefits or credit on DL.
From the page linked earlier in the thread:

SkyMiles credit is not automatically tracked for the purchase of an extra seat and must be requested by the SkyMiles member after travel.
Which suggests that RDM (if not MQD/MQM/MQS; though maybe even MQD can be earned through this?) can be earned from EXST.
Old Feb 2, 20, 5:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, National EE
I have not booked extra seat on Delta before, but have on Air Canada and it requires calling in. As others have said, it's usually cheaper to book a first class seat, especially for domestic travels and if you have checked luggage.
Old Feb 2, 20, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's advice. It's really helpful. As far as earning miles is concerned, i'm not really a frequent flyer so that's not much of a concern for me. I travel just once per year to Vegas from Orlando and comfort during that 4 hour leg there and back is most important to me. And yes, seat width is definitely more important than anything else.

I haven't flown in a few years and it appears that the seats have become a bit smaller then when I regularly flown. I'm still the same size as i've always been (6 ft. and 190lbs) so it's not me lol.

My next trip to Vegas is probably going to be in December, so I have lots of time to do research on this. When the time comes to buy, i'll just try to buy both on the Delta website and if I hit any snags, i'll just call them and let them know what I want to do. Hopefully they'll help me to buy those 2 seats for myself or if FC isn't too much more than that, i'll choose that option.

I just want to ensure what happened yesterday never happens again and have no problem shelling out double price for basic comfort. And it's sad that I should even have to do this, but it is what it is and it's not going to change.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: