Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta introduces solution for pet travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere

Delta News

Last edited by SuperG1955; Jan 22, 2020 at 4:10 pm Reason: Corrected link
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: Delta PM
Correct link - https://news.delta.com/industry-firs...ion-pet-travel
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Imagine what air carriers could do if they put the effort into paying passenger comfort.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Let's hope that DL now will require use of this service and not permit pets and fake ESAs in the cabin.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: DL DM
Further details about the CarePod (PDF): https://www.deltacargo.com/content/d...easurement.pdf
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Imagine what air carriers could do if they put the effort into paying passenger comfort.
Except people die on planes every day (not specifically DL but it definitely happens way more than people think) and it's hardly ever brought up in the news.
A pet dies, and someone calls John Wick and it's a national story.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Let's hope that DL now will require use of this service and not permit pets and fake ESAs in the cabin.
DL cannot question the ESA's and people do it to get around the fees. It won't do a darn thing with ESA's until the DOT/FAA changes their ruling on the matter...If you recall DL tried to make it more restrictive, and they were told they couldn't do that.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by kop84
Except people die on planes every day (not specifically DL but it definitely happens way more than people think) and it's hardly ever brought up in the news.
A pet dies, and someone calls John Wick and it's a national story.
Most people dying on planes are dying of health issues such as heart attack or stroke, and there are probably some dying of old age as well. The airline doesn't really have anything to do with that. It happens in hotels as well. I'm sure if a person died due to a brain injury after being shaken around or being shoved in an overhead bin like some pets have been, it would make the news.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Most people dying on planes are dying of health issues such as heart attack or stroke, and there are probably some dying of old age as well. The airline doesn't really have anything to do with that. It happens in hotels as well. I'm sure if a person died due to a brain injury after being shaken around or being shoved in an overhead bin like some pets have been, it would make the news.
This is true. I just wonder why so many people are willing to chance bringing their pets on planes, regardless of the cost. If one had to design a worse place for a dog, it's hard to imagine doing better than a plane...cramped space, dozens of strangers, no where to go to the bathroom, VERY LOUD for a dog's ears, and that's if the dog is in cabin! Under the plane it's even worse! When my family and I travel we use an app called Rover...that is WAY cheaper than traditional kennels.

Actual Service Animals with extensive training are the obvious exception. Or if it's a one time move that driving isn't practical.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Its actually a bit more nuanced than that. What you say is true, but adding to that, flying puts more stress on the body which could exacerbate existing conditions.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Oh Boy, I can see this spiraling in into an ESA thread REAL quick.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kop84
This is true. I just wonder why so many people are willing to chance bringing their pets on planes, regardless of the cost. If one had to design a worse place for a dog, it's hard to imagine doing better than a plane...cramped space, dozens of strangers, no where to go to the bathroom, VERY LOUD for a dog's ears, and that's if the dog is in cabin! Under the plane it's even worse! When my family and I travel we use an app called Rover...that is WAY cheaper than traditional kennels.

Actual Service Animals with extensive training are the obvious exception. Or if it's a one time move that driving isn't practical.
It's only "cramped space" if the dog actually stays where the rules say that it is required to stay. When the dog is loose in the cabin, it might have more space to roam than it typically gets at home, for example if its human lives in a small apartment.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:59 am

all ESAs are just pets. that is what pets are.

cabin should be trained and permitted service animals only.

Originally Posted by DLATL777
Oh Boy, I can see this spiraling in into an ESA thread REAL quick.
why not? it should be open for debate.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I am not a FF, but usually I see smaller dogs as fake ESAs, who would fit in under-seat carriers if there wasn't a fee associated with it. Brachycephalic dogs are not allowed in cargo holds either, which is also why many "ESAs" are pugs and bulldogs. When getting ready to relocate for work I was surprised that the cargo hold cost for my 50lb lab mix was going to be about 2.5x my one-way economy ticket ($430 vs $130 or $160). The relo package offered me paid time off and mileage to drive instead of flying and shipping my car, and I did that for the dog's comfort, and because hey, four day paid road trip But that's a digression from DL requiring use of the service, they probably won't if the dog fits under-seat.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Ummm...Do you know how much pet fees are? On most carriers for an in-cabin pet it's $125 in order to be able to take a pet INSTEAD of a personal item. So I pay them $125 to do absolutely nothing. My dog is small, so I don't know how much cargo pet fees are, but I'm guessing they are even more (in comparison with $30 to check a bag of the same size). So an improvement on the PAID service would definitely be due.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
For what it's worth, DOT has a proposal out for comment today banning all ESAs, and restricting service animals to be only dogs. This could go into effect in 60 days:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...rom-airplanes/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.