Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Waitlisted Mileage Upgrades not clearing - advice??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Hello All!
I flew out from JFK-BOM in premium select last week. Mileage upgrade never cleared and the 2 open DL One seats were given to nonrevs.
The return this week is showing 3 open seats in DL One on the app (not seat map). Mileage upgrade hasn’t cleared yet.
Any advice // ways to make this happen?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:57 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Pray and wish more luck.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by iluvairlines
Hello All!
I flew out from JFK-BOM in premium select last week. Mileage upgrade never cleared and the 2 open DL One seats were given to nonrevs.
The return this week is showing 3 open seats in DL One on the app (not seat map). Mileage upgrade hasn’t cleared yet.
Any advice // ways to make this happen?
Sorry, but no. Mileage upgrades dont goto gate. Only hope is if by chance space opens with enough time for DL phone agent to upgrade and process on phone.
Duke787 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Sorry, but no. Mileage upgrades dont goto gate. Only hope is if by chance space opens with enough time for DL phone agent to upgrade and process on phone.
This. Now personally I think it’s BS they don’t go to the gate, even if they were ranked behind any GUCs I’d be okay with that, but those are the rules.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Duke787
This. Now personally I think it’s BS they don’t go to the gate, even if they were ranked behind any GUCs I’d be okay with that, but those are the rules.
The problem used to be people would make bookings to prevent seat from being sold. They'd then cancel and there was now a seat available to upgrade to. Thus a number of airlines imposed this waitlist goes away X hrs before rule.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

i remember reading somewhere that international out stations can process mileage upgrades at check in — is that true? I know AMS can but that’s because of KL. I believe someone referenced DL @ SIN.
Was wondering if BOM staff could do the same
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The problem used to be people would make bookings to prevent seat from being sold. They'd then cancel and there was now a seat available to upgrade to. Thus a number of airlines imposed this waitlist goes away X hrs before rule.
Yet neither AA nor UA (I believe) still have that restriction.
Spiff and SamOF like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i remember reading somewhere that international out stations can process mileage upgrades at check in — is that true? I know AMS can but that’s because of KL. I believe someone referenced DL @ SIN.
The following are in the T&C's. Have not heard anything about AMS being able to process DL Mileage Upgrade Awards up to gate, however, they've had a fare-based Cash and Miles option for upgrades for many years (not sure if this is still in place). SIN is no longer a DL station.
- Upgrades may be confirmed on Delta or Delta Connection carrier- operated any time up to three hours before departure, if available
- Airport Standby: Mileage Upgrade Awards do not carry over to the Airport Standby List.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper
The following are in the T&C's. Have not heard anything about AMS being able to process DL Mileage Upgrade Awards up to gate, however, they've had a fare-based Cash and Miles option for upgrades for many years (not sure if this is still in place). SIN is no longer a DL station.
- Upgrades may be confirmed on Delta or Delta Connection carrier- operated any time up to three hours before departure, if available
- Airport Standby: Mileage Upgrade Awards do not carry over to the Airport Standby List.
the one time I had success with this at AMS it was miles only. I was expecting to pay the surcharge based on that photo that's been floating around, but I was told it was just miles. upgrading from C+ (purchased) to D1.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
MAUs at the very least require Z fare availability AFAIK. If there are only 3 D1 seats left on a 777, the MAU will likely stay waitlisted.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xliioper
Originally Posted by gitismatt
the one time I had success with this at AMS it was miles only. I was expecting to pay the surcharge based on that photo that's been floating around, but I was told it was just miles. upgrading from C+ (purchased) to D1.
KLM and AF are exceptions since they take over the ticket at T-48 even if you are on DL metal.

And sadly reports are the KLM upgrade days on DL metal are over (have only flown through CDG since these reports): Big change on Upgrade policy Ex-AMS ( maybe more EU)
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yet neither AA nor UA (I believe) still have that restriction.
I'm not saying it still serves or doesn't serve a purpose. Just that it was the original reason.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Duke787
KLM and AF are exceptions since they take over the ticket at T-48 even if you are on DL metal.

And sadly reports are the KLM upgrade days on DL metal are over (have only flown through CDG since these reports): Big change on Upgrade policy Ex-AMS ( maybe more EU)
The big change is for the cash or cash & mile upgrades. Agents can still upgrade DL metal using mileage awards. Note I've still been able to upgrade DL metal with cash/cash & miles. Its hit or miss if agent allows it, and if I miss I simply request a mileage award.

BTW I believe the issue was DM upset that
  1. they wanted to use GUC, but were being missing out to cheap KL DoD cash/c&m upgrades
  2. They wanted to use GUC within 48hrs (72? cant remember) of departure when ex-AMS/CDG DL flights go under AF/KL control. DL reservations would upgrade (even though they weren't supposed to) and then at checkin passenger would find out there was no seat for them.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Out stations don't have the ability to pull miles. (AMS/CDG are not considered outstations by DL)

The same is true for almost all DL airport agents at airports with actual DL employees. The few DL airport that know how generally used to work in reservations.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I had two mileage upgrade awards recently that were waitlisted from PS to D1 and did not clear automatically when they should have, despite multiple agents telling me that they were properly requested and coded. In both cases, I ultimately got the upgrade by being persistent and calling just after T-36. I was prepared to swap to a GUC otherwise in order to possibly get a gate upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.