Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta using Terminal 5 at JFK?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Delta using Terminal 5 at JFK?

I was checking in for my flight tomorrow morning & was surprised to see gate 23 in Terminal 5 when it’s usually Terminal 2 or 4.

With the new year, is Delta using Terminal 5 at JFK on a regular basis or is this just an anomaly?

Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:35 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Googling the flight number has it in T4. My money's on DL IT glitch.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Weird that DL is now displaying gates up to T-24 now. I noticed it first on my flight the other day and found it strange that they did this. They use to display this information but took it away until T-4 due to constant gate changes and glitches like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Weird that DL is now displaying gates up to T-24 now. I noticed it first on my flight the other day and found it strange that they did this. They use to display this information but took it away until T-4 due to constant gate changes and glitches like this.
Hmm, I actually never realized they didn't post gates until T-4, maybe I didn't pay enough attention.

I even noticed DL25 (BOM-JFK) was showing an arrival at JFK T7 a few days ago and I was surprised -- now I know these glitches are more frequent.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
I've never seen DL at T5. That's usually the JetBlue alliance.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
I noticed that they started posting gates (on the app and website, was always available via 3rd party trackers) at T-24 a couple months ago instead of of T-3 or T-4. However, I almost always see a gate change (and sometimes even a terminal change) some time between T-7 and T-4. Of course, even more last-minute gate changes happen too.

I always found it a bit odd that they would push this data to 3rd parties but not display it on official sources. In retrospect, it seems like a good idea to keep it at T-3/4 for non-frequent flyers. I can imagine kettles checking in at T-24, seeing their gate/terminal assignment, and not bothering to check the next day if it has changed.

edit: tracking the tail number, it looks like the a/c is scheduled into T2 gate C68 tonight. If that assignment holds, and unless they need to push it for some reason (and I wouldn't think they're lacking RON gate space on a Saturday or going to perform heavy maintenance at JFK), it would leave from C68 tomorrow. I've noticed that a lot of JFK-FL routes use T2, since there's so much O/D traffic.
OhDoctor likes this.

Last edited by ekozie; Jan 4, 2020 at 11:50 am
Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
All my DL flights to/through JFK have been T2 and T4. In fact, I've always been in T2 until my trip there last week, which was my first T4 experience.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I noticed this last month on a flight but I thought I hadn't noticed it before and didn't think much of it and the gate changed 10 times.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I'm betting a fat finger. 5 is right above 2 on the keypad.
ekozie likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Flight ended up leaving from T2, C68. Plane was on the same gate all night.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ekozie
Flight ended up leaving from T2, C68. Plane was on the same gate all night.
You're close. It ended up leaving from T2, C64. The FlyDelta App updated the correct gate sometime around 5 hours before takeoff. Thanks to everyone that participated in this weird puzzle.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by slobass
You're close. It ended up leaving from T2, C64. The FlyDelta App updated the correct gate sometime around 5 hours before takeoff. Thanks to everyone that participated in this weird puzzle.
Yup. I'm going to chalk this one up to brain injury.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:17 am

C64 was the former Gate 23 so I wonder if that played a role.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nystateofmind
C64 was the former Gate 23 so I wonder if that played a role.
If that's the case then it sounds like an old map was referenced. Either by person entering the gate number or by the computer system pulling up the wrong map when agent was assigning gates.

How long ago was it gate 23? I ask cause I've never seen it marked as 23 since I started going through JFK after merger.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If that's the case then it sounds like an old map was referenced. Either by person entering the gate number or by the computer system pulling up the wrong map when agent was assigning gates.

How long ago was it gate 23? I ask cause I've never seen it marked as 23 since I started going through JFK after merger.
They renumbered the T2 gates as “C” after the T3 closing and T4 extension opening which I believe was in 2013.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.