Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Checking for awards - and checking them twice...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

Or three or four times....

Ok, I saw that there were 2 LAX-AMS tickets in business for 80K each on the date I wanted to travel. But my real destination is CPH. LAX-AMS-CPH priced at 320K miles.

I tried online as multi destination, but it brought me to an error page.

I called, and they were able to sell me one ticket at 80K (LAX-AMS), and the second ticket for 25K (AMS-CPH). But I really wanted it on one ticket.

I then went back to mult-city and did an overnight in AMS. That got me the rate of 105K (basically the two tickets added). I purchased it.

I then called DL to ask about moving my connection flight to omit the overnight. They saw the inventory but had to force it through. In the end, they refunded 25K miles.

So I got LAX-AMS-CPH for 80k!

It really pays to be persistent.
gooselee likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
“married segments” apparently just got an annulment
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are only two awards levels for one-way TATL D1 awards - 80K and 320K. So when there is no married segment availability for 80K, you'll jump to the 320K level. The 80K awards also have a 90-day advance purchase requirement. There are other D1 award levels available, but they require a roundtrip purchase. I'm surprised they would combine another award with the D1 awards as they prohibit end-on-end combinations in their fare rules. Although they will quote combined awards on one ticket if you have a layover of greater than 24 hours to create a fare break. You can see this with a multi-city search if you specify the second segment two days after departure (since you arrive the next day on TATL flights) which creates the >24 hour stopover needed to combine fares.
hhdl likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 1, 2020 at 9:16 am
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by zrs70
Or three or four times....

Ok, I saw that there were 2 LAX-AMS tickets in business for 80K each on the date I wanted to travel. But my real destination is CPH. LAX-AMS-CPH priced at 320K miles.

I tried online as multi destination, but it brought me to an error page.

I called, and they were able to sell me one ticket at 80K (LAX-AMS), and the second ticket for 25K (AMS-CPH). But I really wanted it on one ticket.

I then went back to mult-city and did an overnight in AMS. That got me the rate of 105K (basically the two tickets added). I purchased it.

I then called DL to ask about moving my connection flight to omit the overnight. They saw the inventory but had to force it through. In the end, they refunded 25K miles.

So I got LAX-AMS-CPH for 80k!

It really pays to be persistent.
Yeah, you were lucky. They are not supposed to "over rule" married segment logic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.