Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AA suing DL over use of the word "flagship"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA suing DL over use of the word "flagship"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does anyone remember whether PMNW ever used the word flagship?
Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:16 pm

AA is all cavalier now after banning the churners.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:36 pm

There is nothing wrong with standard english use of the word flagship.

Using the word as an adjective as in “our flagship Sky Club Lounge” is different from using the word as a proper noun. If they branded their products using the word Flagship as a trademark in the same manner that AA does, that could be copyright infringement.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:46 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
My sense is that Delta is using it in the generic adjective way.

Also FWIW, Delta (and PMNW) subsidiary Endeavor Air used to use Flagship as their callsign...
Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SQPPS
Deltas use of the term is actual trademark infringement in a classic sense. The use of the term directly infringes on Americans mark and creates confusion in thr marketplace with similar if not identical customers. I think AA will prevail in this lawsuit and frankly DL should know better. The only way they will get off is by either claiming the term flagship is non distinctive and therefore not a real trademark, something very hard to do in the USA after registration, or they will have to prove prior use.
I think this reflects a common misunderstanding of how trademarks work. Both Delta faucets and Delta airlines have registered trademarks for Delta. I still would win if either sued me for advertising trips to the Mississippi Delta.

Registration really isn't some trump card that allows you to control all uses of a word in the dictionary. I'm not sure they could say with a straight face that any passengers are confused and think they are booking an American product when they read a Delta press release using the word "Flagship" or on the Delta website.

What's next, suing Southwest if it says their flights have an "advantage" over others?
Old Dec 21, 2019, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Adam1222
... What's next, suing Southwest if it says their flights have an "advantage" over others?
if WN’s ad used AA’s (doubtless trademarked) spelling with the extra A, the AAtorneys would be filing the infringement lawsuit within minutes
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
I would like to sue AA for misuse of the word.
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Adam1222
I think this reflects a common misunderstanding of how trademarks work. Both Delta faucets and Delta airlines have registered trademarks for Delta. I still would win if either sued me for advertising trips to the Mississippi Delta.

Registration really isn't some trump card that allows you to control all uses of a word in the dictionary. I'm not sure they could say with a straight face that any passengers are confused and think they are booking an American product when they read a Delta press release using the word "Flagship" or on the Delta website.

What's next, suing Southwest if it says their flights have an "advantage" over others?
There's also a Delta Logistics that seems to be a trucking company near Minot ND.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jrl767
if WN’s ad used AA’s (doubtless trademarked) spelling with the extra A, the AAtorneys would be filing the infringement lawsuit within minutes
Don't disagree. But that wasn't the hypothetical I posed. Delta didnt open a Flagship Lounge either.

Words of common usage alone can be trademarked. Whether that mark is infringed depends on how it's used.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Actually.. I can see AA point.. but AA flagship product has been taking a downturn for a long time...
maybe AA should just sell it to DL,..
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
There is nothing wrong with standard english use of the word flagship.

Using the word as an adjective as in “our flagship Sky Club Lounge” is different from using the word as a proper noun. If they branded their products using the word Flagship as a trademark in the same manner that AA does, that could be copyright infringement.
This.
AA uses the word most, like DL uses "Delta One", to describe their premium international product. DL avoids using the word to describe premium service but does use it to describe the suite-equipped aircraft that contain that product. My guess is DL removes the red tag "FLAGSHIP" from its reservations interface when searching for a flight since the only aircraft called "flagships" also happen to have that most premium D1 product.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I think AA is still mad that Delta started calling itself "The On Time Machine", a slogan that AA used in TV commercials circa 1990 (I'm guessing that AA either never trademarked this or let its trademark/servicemark lapse).
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
I just heard that AA sued Starfleet for referring to the Enterprise D as the Flagship of Starfleet. People will be confused and Starfleet will be taking advantage of the AA goodwill. It must stop.
ryw likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
spamkiller They invade our space and we fall back . . . not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, nor further!
ryw likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:25 pm

“Flagship” is a descriptive trademark, which is one of the least protectable types of trademarks. In order for American Airlines to win this suit, they would have to demonstrate that Delta’s use of the word “flagship” could cause consumers to confuse American’s and Delta’s products. Given that Delta only uses the word flagship in the context of their own products (e.g. on their own website, with their logo), it is difficult for American to successfully make this argument.
MikeFromTokyo and mrcool1122 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.