Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

VS ticketed, DL Platinum, flying in PE. SkyClub MSP-MCO-LGW? Head is spinning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA

Already I see my title needs more info: It's a VS metal flight MCO-LGW....

I know DL Platinums get Sky Club access on DL-ticketed int'l Sky Team flights in Y, and it's reciprocal for VS elites on Delta... but how about if you've got my situation? VS isn't SkyTeam, and I'm in PE, not business class.

Hoping for access, but willing to pay $29 for AMEX access in MCO for the 3 hour wait.
Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You would have access to VS clubs (as a Plat for same-day US to/from UK on VS/DL), but the rules are not clear for Sky Clubs on VS metal. Since VS does not have a Clubhouse in MCO and just uses the Sky Club. I'd say it's a definite maybe.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by xliioper
You would have access to VS clubs (as a Plat for same-day US to/from UK on VS/DL), but the rules are not clear for Sky Clubs on VS metal. Since VS does not have a Clubhouse in MCO and just uses the Sky Club. I'd say it's a definite maybe.
OP here, answering my own question: YES access granted at both MSP and MCO!
For a station where VS doesn't have their own Clubhouse Lounge, and uses a contract lounge, DL elites do NOT get access (at Manchester, GB for example). But I guess because this is a SkyClub, DL elites do get access.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
So at Manchester I thought VS had a club house but DM and PM still don’t get access while flying VS (which I think is so weird given we get access at LHR). Do delta elites get Club House access in LGW?
Old Dec 22, 2019, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
So at Manchester I thought VS had a club house but DM and PM still don’t get access while flying VS (which I think is so weird given we get access at LHR). Do delta elites get Club House access in LGW?
Weirdly MAN has no Clubhouse. So VS use a contract lounge there, and that means no DL elites get lounge when flying in Y unless you have a Priority Pass.
DL elites get Clubhouse access wherever there is a Clubhouse, but where there is not, they get nada.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Weirdly MAN has no Clubhouse. So VS use a contract lounge there, and that means no DL elites get lounge when flying in Y unless you have a Priority Pass.
DL elites get Clubhouse access wherever there is a Clubhouse, but where there is not, they get nada.
I used the MAN contract lounge a few years ago when flying VS in UC. You didn’t miss much.

Only DL Platinum and Diamond medallions get Clubhouse access in the UK. Golds have to use a different lounge at LHR.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

While this thread is about SkyClub access for DL Elites on VS ticket numbers, yes it's so odd that VS has no Clubhouse in MAN since it flies several widebodies a day from there. That said, the 747s have a tiny Upper Class cabin, only 14 seats. And the 747 I flew MCO-LGW yesterday departed with 422 pax onboard-- just checked and the VS 747 capacity is..... 455 pax, which is insane!
Seems like mostly holiday traffic so maybe that's why they don't have a lounge?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:36 am

While this thread is about SkyClub access for DL Elites on VS ticket numbers, yes it's so odd that VS has no Clubhouse in MAN since it flies several widebodies a day from there.
As a market, MAN is quite different from LON. The premium segment is much smaller. So it's harder to justify lounges.

Furthermore, as those who fly through MAN regularly will know, the terminal buildings aren't exactly state-of-the-art. Perhaps VS wasn't able to find a space they liked. Refurbishments and extensions of terminal 2 at MAN are ongoing, though, potentially opening up new opportunities for VS.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I did MAN-ATL on VS in PE, which is on the upper deck of the 747. Sad that there was no free lounge access (I was directed to a lounge which charged 30 quid to get in, which I declined), but the flight itself was exceedingly good.

As far as terminals and clientele are concerned, MAN is to LHR is like what BWI is to DCA.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be clear, only certain DL elites get access (no access for Silver's and GM's do not get access to UK Clubhouse locations, but can use No. 1 contract lounge at LHR). Elites must have a same day nonstop flight on DL/VS for US to/from UK and they only get access to select Clubhouse locations (for example, locations like JNB are excluded even with a same-day TATL flight for UK to US). Note there is zero mention of Sky Clubs, and hence the confusion on whether are not Sky Club access is permitted when flying VS (clearly you get it when flying DL metal due to Skyteam rules).

"Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse lounge access is available at select locations to Delta One® passengers, Upper Class passengers, and Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members with a same-day nonstop transatlantic flight between North America and the U.K. that is operated by Delta or Virgin Atlantic. Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members may access Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses in London-Gatwick, New York-JFK, Newark, Washington-Dulles, Boston, Los Angeles and San Francisco Airports. Gold Medallion Members may only access Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses within the U.S. (New York-JFK, Newark, Washington-Dulles, Boston, Los Angeles and San Francisco Airports). Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members are allowed to bring one guest."

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 24, 2019 at 7:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.