Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How terrible is Basic Economy? Seat Assignments/Boarding/Etc (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2020, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency/us/en/products-and-services/other-programs-services/basic-economy.html
  • Medallion Members, others with elite status, and Delta SkyMiles American Express credit card holders continue to enjoy their boarding benefits
  • Medallion Members will continue to enjoy waived checked baggage fees, Priority Check-in, Priority Boarding and Medallion mileage bonuses. However, please note Medallion Members will not receive paid or Complimentary Upgrades when flying on a Basic Economy fare.

For those with Skymiles Select (new sales currently discontinued due to COVID):

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles/skymiles-select

Q. Does Main Cabin 1 Boarding purchased through SkyMiles Select apply to tickets purchased in Basic Economy?

A. Yes, you will receive Main Cabin 1 Boarding on tickets purchased in Basic Economy.
Print Wikipost

How terrible is Basic Economy? Seat Assignments/Boarding/Etc (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion , LH Frequent Traveller , Hilton Gold , Prirority Club Platinum
Rookie question about upgrading on basic fares

I am a little confused about the upgrading procedure on basic fares, when you are on the DL's booking site you have the option to book a basic fare and it says that you won't be able to upgrade.
Does it mean that you can't upgrade by paying an extra fee or that you won't get an upgrade because of status.
I am a Diamond medallion and usually get upgraded immediately to Eco+ at the time of booking, I'd like to know if it will work also with basic fares (after they have upgraded medallions booked in all other higher fares).

Thank you !
Old May 31, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by AOIMUC
I am a little confused about the upgrading procedure on basic fares, when you are on the DL's booking site you have the option to book a basic fare and it says that you won't be able to upgrade.
Does it mean that you can't upgrade by paying an extra fee or that you won't get an upgrade because of status.
I am a Diamond medallion and usually get upgraded immediately to Eco+ at the time of booking, I'd like to know if it will work also with basic fares (after they have upgraded medallions booked in all other higher fares).

Thank you !
This is correct in normal times, however due to COVID-19, DL is waiving all change/cancellation fees on all tickets (inc BE) so it’s now possible to pay UG your BE ticket. Note that BE tickets are still not eligible for complimentary UGs (no free FC or C+) but DL has suspended all advanced UGs to FC and C+, so buying a Main Cabin ticket won’t get you C+ at booking right now.
Old May 31, 2020, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note that the upgrade purchase will involve exchanging the ticket and paying the fare difference. You will not get any FCM offers (which may be higher or lower than the fare difference) on a BE fare. DL currently has 3-day and 14-day advance fare caps in place for F, C+ and main cabin which book into J, W, and Y classes. These are non-refundable and fairly heavily discounted off the refundable J, W, Y fares. The 3-day advance ones expire at the end of June and the 14-day advance one's go through July. If you are not within a window and there is only J inventory left on a flight, you will likely encounter some sticker shock on the upgrade price as it will be based on the full-fare J pricing.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 2:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
There’s never been a better time to buy BE on DL.....you get the same exact bare bones service as the people in FC and an empty seat next to you.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 5:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion , LH Frequent Traveller , Hilton Gold , Prirority Club Platinum
Thank you for your information!

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
This is correct in normal times, however due to COVID-19, DL is waiving all change/cancellation fees on all tickets (inc BE) so it’s now possible to pay UG your BE ticket. Note that BE tickets are still not eligible for complimentary UGs (no free FC or C+) but DL has suspended all advanced UGs to FC and C+, so buying a Main Cabin ticket won’t get you C+ at booking right now.
Originally Posted by xliioper
Note that the upgrade purchase will involve exchanging the ticket and paying the fare difference. You will not get any FCM offers (which may be higher or lower than the fare difference) on a BE fare. DL currently has 3-day and 14-day advance fare caps in place for F, C+ and main cabin which book into J, W, and Y classes. These are non-refundable and fairly heavily discounted off the refundable J, W, Y fares. The 3-day advance ones expire at the end of June and the 14-day advance one's go through July. If you are not within a window and there is only J inventory left on a flight, you will likely encounter some sticker shock on the upgrade price as it will be based on the full-fare J pricing.
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
There’s never been a better time to buy BE on DL.....you get the same exact bare bones service as the people in FC and an empty seat next to you.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 1:30 pm

Seat at gate - standby?

First time flying Delta. CUN-SEA-YVR tomorrow, Jan.2. Paid basic economy tickets. Family of 5. I checked in 24h before the first flight using Delta app, and our boarding passes in the app say Seat Assigned at Gate. Also, when I click on Standby list in the app, its says "Seats Remaining: 9" and all 5 of our names appear there. Nobody else on the standby list, just my family of 5.

Are we on the flight or no? Are we going to get bumped? If so, should we expect any compensation?
Old Jan 1, 2021, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by echino
First time flying Delta. CUN-SEA-YVR tomorrow, Jan.2. Paid basic economy tickets. Family of 5. I checked in 24h before the first flight using Delta app, and our boarding passes in the app say Seat Assigned at Gate. Also, when I click on Standby list in the app, its says "Seats Remaining: 9" and all 5 of our names appear there. Nobody else on the standby list, just my family of 5.

Are we on the flight or no? Are we going to get bumped? If so, should we expect any compensation?
Yes. You and your family will be on the flight. Your seats will be assigned to you by gate agent closer to departure.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
It has been a while since I traveled on a BE fare, but my experience has been that sometimes seats are assigned at checkin and at other times they are assigned at the gate. When assigned at the gate, you will show up on the standby list simply because you don’t have a seat assignment. This does not mean you are a standby passenger. On the app or screens at the gate your seat assignment will show up once it is assigned. Nothing to worry about!

That said, if there are only four more seats showing available on top of your party, it is possible the flight could be oversold and there would be an opportunity for VDB.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 1:57 pm

Seat map actually only showing one open seat.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presuming that you have confirmed reservations, all you are lacking is a seat assignment. Even in pre-pandemic times, there are a significant number of seats held back for families, disabled passengers and other situations. The seat map shows what is available for assignment and is relatively meaningless.

If the flight is not only overbooked but oversold at the gate, e.g., there are more confirmed passengers than seats, DL will seek volunteers before it denied boarding to you.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
# of seats available, includes all cabins.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
# of seats available, includes all cabins.
Can you subtract the number of seats available for upgrades (FC and C+, for instance from clicking on upgrade list on the app) to get the number of coach seats that are really available?
Old Jan 1, 2021, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can you subtract the number of seats available for upgrades (FC and C+, for instance from clicking on upgrade list on the app) to get the number of coach seats that are really available?
Not sure how seat blocking for F calculates in.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 5:47 pm

When connecting on a BE ticket DL always puts you on standby list for flight 2 as it is not yet 24 hours when you check in for flight 1. You are not really standby but you are confirmed. You will get seat assignments for flight 2 at the gate. Lucky you are getting to YVR on Jan 2. In 4 more days you would need a negative covid test.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
Certain seats on the seat map are blocked for assignment at the gate. Often, this is the last one or two rows of the plane. For regional jets, it may also include a couple seats in the first row of C+/Main Cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.