Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does it hurt your upgrade chances to use regional certificates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does it hurt your upgrade chances to use regional certificates?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
It would be both "tragic" and "a huge waste" to use a RUC on C+. I have also had agents offer me the C+ upgrade because no first class seats were available when I booked, oy! In my experience, CSRs have told me to make sure the box is unchecked, so now I'm confused.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do RUCs/GUCs give one priority for C+? It would be tragic to waste one on a C+ "upgrade."
Wouldn't a person using an RUC automatically get C+ at booking if available anyway? RUC's are only for PM and DM's and I've always been confirmed into C+ at time of booking if seats are available.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Until the day of departure/gate, there are two types of upgrade inventory: one code for instrument supported upgrades (RUCs/GUCs and miles) and a different bucket for free elite upgrades, with separate waitlists. Then all available seats go into a single upgrade pool with a single priority list.
If I am waitlisted on a RUC and it hasn't cleared right before the upgrade window opens I call the diamond desk and have it removed and if my upgrade hasn't cleared look at the upgrade list after check in and if it doesn't look like the complimentary upgrade will clear call and have it reapplied.

It's absurd that a person will get a complimentary upgrade over someone waitlisted on a RUC. I was on a DTW/LAS flight before I found out about that policy, and the RUC cleared with the gate upgrades and I was sitting beside a gold who told me his complimentary upgrade had cleared a couple days earlier. Wasn't happy when I found out about that.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:09 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Wouldn't a person using an RUC automatically get C+ at booking if available anyway? RUC's are only for PM and DM's and I've always been confirmed into C+ at time of booking if seats are available.
1. It could also be someone who selected Choice Benefit(s) before dropping down in status

2. I've always gotten C+ at booking too, but there are lots of reports from people booking close in and/or full flights and not receiving it at booking.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Club
I've been told that you can't have simultaneous requests for both types of upgrades simultaneously. It shouldn't matter much how early you request a free elite upgrade provided that it's done before your window first opens, but of course switching requests around does reset the time stamp for the request, which is the final tiebreaker.
Originally Posted by acrophobia
That’s interesting; thanks. I’ve just been told by certain agents to make sure the complimentary box is unchecked whenever a UC is applied.
As always YMMV, but....

I just got back from a trip where I was waitlisted using a RUC. I left the complimentary upgrade to first box checked and had no problem clearing the waitlist a day or two before the DM window opened. In fact I've never unchecked that box when using a RUC and (knock on wood) I've never not had a RUC clear before the DM window.

Happy RUC'ing...it's rough out there
Zorak likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by JakeRobertson212
As always YMMV, but....

I just got back from a trip where I was waitlisted using a RUC. I left the complimentary upgrade to first box checked and had no problem clearing the waitlist a day or two before the DM window opened. In fact I've never unchecked that box when using a RUC and (knock on wood) I've never not had a RUC clear before the DM window.

Happy RUC'ing...it's rough out there
the issue seems to be when the RUC has not cleared before the window.
Like you, my RUC's that have cleared were always before the window, but now I wonder if I may have missed some upgrades when they did not
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Till about a year ago, was told you couldn't be listed for both. However about a year ago I was told it is now possible. From personal experience, it does appear to now work.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
I know that I've missed a complimentary upgrade in the last few months two different times because I was waitlisted for a RUC. It's crazy that complimentary upgrade inventory opens before RUC inventory (at least some times), and further crazy that if you have a RUC applied when the complimentary upgrade window opens you're actually penalized (worse off) than not having RUC waitlisted in this scenario.

I have also had a RUC waitlisted that cleared within 24 hours, even though complimentary space was not available. So it's pretty evident the buckets are not necessarily opened at the same time.

It's pretty sad that you have to apply RUC at >T-6 days, then if not cleared, remove RUC and wait until <T-24 hours, and re-apply if you haven't othewise been upgraded.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dEagleS
I know that I've missed a complimentary upgrade in the last few months two different times because I was waitlisted for a RUC. It's crazy that complimentary upgrade inventory opens before RUC inventory (at least some times), and further crazy that if you have a RUC applied when the complimentary upgrade window opens you're actually penalized (worse off) than not having RUC waitlisted in this scenario.

I have also had a RUC waitlisted that cleared within 24 hours, even though complimentary space was not available. So it's pretty evident the buckets are not necessarily opened at the same time.

It's pretty sad that you have to apply RUC at >T-6 days, then if not cleared, remove RUC and wait until <T-24 hours, and re-apply if you haven't othewise been upgraded.
.......and each time you must call DL at least twice, once to request that the RUC be requested/removed/reapplied and at least once more to verify that this was done carefully, plus some people have gotten upgrades by calling to ask about upgrade availability when there seems to be upgrade space but one's upgrade appears to be "stuck".....
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I've been burning RUCs recently on transcons. It's been an incredible PITA. When they don't clear, I can't check in, and when I call it takes about 20 minutes for them to sort it out (re-ticket, call another desk, whatever). On my most recent call (<24hr to departure), when they started doing stuff (the re-issue?) the upgrade cleared while I was on the phone... Which makes me wonder if I was ever in the upgrade queue to begin with...

For the life of me, I can't figure out why DL can't get these to work properly (programmatically) . 3+ years into this...and it's still like stapling jello to the wall.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I've been burning RUCs recently on transcons. It's been an incredible PITA. When they don't clear, I can't check in, and when I call it takes about 20 minutes for them to sort it out (re-ticket, call another desk, whatever). On my most recent call (<24hr to departure), when they started doing stuff (the re-issue?) the upgrade cleared while I was on the phone... Which makes me wonder if I was ever in the upgrade queue to begin with...

For the life of me, I can't figure out why DL can't get these to work properly (programmatically) . 3+ years into this...and it's still like stapling jello to the wall.
If you cant checkin, you cleared. However the ticket hadn't been reissued yet. Thus why it looks like you got upgraded while on phone.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If you cant checkin, you cleared. However the ticket hadn't been reissued yet. Thus why it looks like you got upgraded while on phone.
However, if you wait for OLCI to open, you tend to miss the opportunity to pre-order a meal.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Why is the RUC/GUC process so confusing and convoluted?
Is this the way Delta wants it to be?

Recently had a RUC clear about a week in advance for the longer portion of the flight (ATL-SLC). On DoD I noticed on the short TPA-ATL segment I was way down the upgrade list (9th or so). Sent twitter a note to ask if my RUC was coded properly and it was not. The person that fixed it did something that made me lose my C+ aisle seat. They said they had to undo my C+ upgrade to code the RUC correctly. Ended up sitting in 29E on the TPA-ATL segment. Glad the perk of that RUC worked so well for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.