Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Literally $5 short from Gold, please help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: skymiles

I am literally $5 short (MQDs) from getting upgraded to Gold. is there ANY way to get this waived without spending $25K on my gold AMEX delta card? (I just opened the card 2 weeks ago too..)

Please help!
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
You could always take a mileage run somewhere. Find the cheapest RT flight from your airport.
jsds likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Are you done flying for the year or do you just want to make Gold before your next flight? If it's the former, take the cheapest mileage run you can find. If it's the latter, I guess you could call and see if they'll "advance" you 5 MQDs but that's definitely not in policy and would be a favor. I have no idea of the likelihood of that happening.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Forum reports are pretty clear that they don't waive it when you're close. What airport are you located at, folks on here are usually pretty good at finding helpful fares to push you over, but I dunno if even $200-$300 is going to be worth "Gold" versus "Silver", that will depend on your 2020 travel plans.

You will start 2020 with a lot of rollover miles, if you don't succeed, keep that in mind. Also since you mention the MQD waiver, note that starting in January charging to your new Gold card will no longer provide a waiver option.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Gig103
<snip>Also since you mention the MQD waiver, note that starting in January charging to your new Gold card will no longer provide a waiver option.
Huh? United is dropping the ability to waive qualifying dollars beginning January 1st, 2020, but I have not seen any news that Delta is following that path.

Source please?

Regards
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by scubadu
Huh? United is dropping the ability to waive qualifying dollars beginning January 1st, 2020, but I have not seen any news that Delta is following that path.

Source please?

Regards
It only applies to the Gold SkyMiles card. https://news.delta.com/consumers-bus...-express-cards
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Leoz12
I am literally $5 short (MQDs) from getting upgraded to Gold. is there ANY way to get this waived without spending $25K on my gold AMEX delta card? (I just opened the card 2 weeks ago too..)

Please help!
Do you have any flights left for the year? If so, you could look at a buy-up offer to F or C+ or call DL and ask if they can allow you to upfare to a higher fare bucket.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:37 pm

There's some reports that purchasing Skymiles Select will earn $59 MQD. Might be worth a shot if there's no other obvious ways to get those MQDs.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by scubadu

Source please?

Regards
The MQD waiver that OP and I are talking about is regarding the Amex Skymiles Gold card.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:56 pm

Call and ask.
Eddie98 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. It is cost free to call and ask. Therefore, call and ask.
2. If that does not work, as expected, then find the cheapest RT ticket you can and fly it or figure out a trip you do want and take that. There are 5+ weeks left in the year, so should not be hard to find something.

Where are you based? Folks here might have ideas.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Fly LCC to a destination and use DL to get back or vice versa. FL has some good deals if you are on the East Coast for early December.
ryw likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
It amazes me that someone can't figure out to just find the cheapest flight from your nearest airport, unless they are trying to find a way to buck the system.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 6:47 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
This same type question keeps coming up in Nov-Dec each year along with the same obvious answers. Why isn't the response just a few words like "you're screwed" and let the OP work it out by spending a $ or two
Old Nov 25, 2019, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
This same type question keeps coming up in Nov-Dec each year along with the same obvious answers. Why isn't the response just a few words like "you're screwed" and let the OP work it out by spending a $ or two
Because we are a polite community, and OP is brand new to Flyertalk. A few brusque replies puts someone off from becoming a contributing member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.