Wiki Posts
Search

Can I share a D1 seat?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Can I share a D1 seat?

I'm diamond and have traveled solo just about 100% of my life, never had this scenario....but.... If I am flying in D1 and my significant other is in Main... am I allowed to go back and trade seats with him halfway through the flight?

Odds are that I will be upgraded...he won't....and wondering if there's a way to share it.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by marcworld
I'm diamond and have traveled solo just about 100% of my life, never had this scenario....but.... If I am flying in D1 and my significant other is in Main... am I allowed to go back and trade seats with him halfway through the flight?

Odds are that I will be upgraded...he won't....and wondering if there's a way to share it.

Please don't troll me if this is a stupid question. Thanks.
Technically, you're not supposed to do this. But just ask the FA in first and it will probably be ok. I did this a few years ago in regular F. Told the FA my wife had eating restrictions so I would like to make a one-time switch after the meal service. I got up to use the bathroom after eating and just quietly switched places with her.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:23 am

Polarizing subject this one. You’re not supposed to. What you’ll get otherwise is personal opinions and experiences.

Last edited by Tine Rod; Nov 25, 2019 at 10:36 am
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Generally OK with lots of airlines if you do this immediatly after boarding but not 1/2 way through the flight.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:36 am

I have done this many times with my kids. Never had a problem.
JBauer likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by marcworld

I'm assuming that you're using a GUC or RUC to upgrade? Do you also have your SO waitlisted with a Cert? If yes, same PNR? Lots of factors that can affect your, and possible your SO's upgrades.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
As long as you don't do it with the expectation that the SO will be given a meal (unless there is a second meal offered of course)... I mean like you shouldn't expect two for the price of one. I've seen people try that a couple of times and it did not go over well.

-J.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no way to predict the answer as DL, if asked, would respond that each passenger must sit in their assigned seat. Thus, entirely up to the crew.

Be certain to ask and to abide by any restrictions put in place, e.g. not during meal or drinks service in either cabin and not repeatedly.

Understand and accept a refusal. If this is a flight inbound to the US, DHS rules prohibit passenger movement between cabins. That rule is honored in the breach, but if you are told "no" on such a flight it really does mean "no".
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I’ve seen plenty of refusals and I’ve also seen strict enforcement of no one entering the premium cabin from economy in both directions, not just inbound. In spite of what others here have posted, this is not something I’ve seen permitted on either DL or AA both of which I book international J seats on, several times a year.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:43 pm

Like others have said it is crew dependent. Crews tend to be pickier with D1 than FC. I have never asked but on international I have heard the question asked and I would say the answer tends to be no. Especially to sharing vs swapping.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Domestic F is a different issue. Usually the trespassers want access to the F loo, not an F seat.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, GOES
If you both boarded wearing these.....

Edit: unless you're going to Hong Kong.
Yemona, Old Hickory, HDQDD and 2 others like this.

Last edited by EditingFX; Nov 25, 2019 at 4:02 pm Reason: HKG not a great mask destination atm
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by EditingFX

Edit: unless you're going to Hong Kong.
Not possible with DL
Old Nov 25, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
I have done this multiple times with my wife. Totally dependent on the crew.
BHammy likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Domestic F is a different issue. Usually the trespassers want access to the F loo, not an F seat.
there is no Domestic F loo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.