FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   10% Off Delta Gift Cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1996414-10-off-delta-gift-cards.html)

xiphoid76 Nov 22, 2019 8:07 am

Looks like the 1,000 dollar gift cards are out of stock. I ordered 3 of them yesterday but they are backordered. I haven't received any email that the order was canceled - I hope not. My email said they hope to have them out to me in 48 hours.

Exiled in Express Nov 22, 2019 8:50 am

I did a single $500 card this morning, email delivery in under 30 minutes.

Ordhater Nov 22, 2019 3:44 pm

Just placed an order for three of the $1,000 cards and they arrived into my email within seconds.

nrr Nov 22, 2019 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Tomphot (Post 31763841)
There have been a number of comments about trip insurance and I always check the NO box when booking. I have been flying for business since ‘81 and have never once been in a situation where I would have needed it. Am I missing something?

By not buying insurance/trip you are SELF insuring your trips. In your case 38 years of pocketing the trip insurance fees has you way ahead $-wise.

Ordhater Nov 23, 2019 1:44 pm

Does anyone have experience with 24 hour cancellation when you purchased using a gift card? Do they refund the flight through another gift card? ECV? SOL?

btonkid12345 Nov 23, 2019 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ordhater (Post 31769516)
Does anyone have experience with 24 hour cancellation when you purchased using a gift card? Do they refund the flight through another gift card? ECV? SOL?

The original gift card is reopened and the funds are applied back onto it. Exactly like using an ECV with Delta.

assuming the risk free request processes via automation and doesn’t have to be put into a manual refund’s queue, the gift card reopens with the value back on it, the instant the trip is risk-freed.

fti Nov 24, 2019 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 31764427)
I'm slightly confused, or at least unsure of what the comparison is supposed to be here. It's true that booking directly at DL with a CSR/Plat would earn 3-5+% in rewards, but then you don't get the 10% discount which is the subject of the thread.

bloc0102 is incorrect and you are. CSR does not give 3x points at costco,com, which is how the gift cards are categorized.

JTE458 Nov 25, 2019 11:12 am

Originally Posted by xiphoid76 (Post 31765528)
Looks like the 1,000 dollar gift cards are out of stock. I ordered 3 of them yesterday but they are backordered. I haven't received any email that the order was canceled - I hope not. My email said they hope to have them out to me in 48 hours.

$1,000 are back in stock. They weren't earlier this morning but are now. Just ordered 1.

sydneyracquelle Nov 25, 2019 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Ordhater (Post 31769516)

The transaction is reversed as if it never took place.

woodenshoe101 Nov 25, 2019 11:51 am

Originally Posted by JTE458 (Post 31775357)
$1,000 are back in stock. They weren't earlier this morning but are now. Just ordered 1.

Already sold out again :(

$500 version is still available

jimquan Nov 26, 2019 11:59 pm

We're on Kauai for the week and the local Costco has a display of $500 Delta gift cards ...

Anyone else seeing them in the stores?

Oh, and anyone care to guess how the Delta bean counters agreed to this deal? I don't think this is a fire sale because Delta is
hurting for cash...

Jim

Zorak Nov 27, 2019 12:41 am

Originally Posted by jimquan (Post 31781265)
We're on Kauai for the week and the local Costco has a display of $500 Delta gift cards ...

Oh, and anyone care to guess how the Delta bean counters agreed to this deal? I don't think this is a fire sale because Delta is
hurting for cash...

Jim

There was a Facebook post with the physical gift cards in-store.

Gift cards in general have some known breakage rate, which I'm sure they take into account...

Gig103 Nov 27, 2019 1:18 am

Originally Posted by jimquan (Post 31781265)

hurting for cash...

Jim

I think it was brilliant. First off, year-end revenue is never bad. But secondly, Costco consumers are a desirable demographic and are often more price elastic. So by targeting Costco members with a 10% discount, Delta stands to gain more repeat business from passengers who might not blindly choose the cheapest OTA advertised fare "next time". Third, I bet outside of FT most people are buying one GC and are not elites, so that $50 or $100 can be recouped on ancillary fees (bags and seat assignment), or just from the Costco member needing multiple tickets far exceeding the face value of the GC.

hhdl Nov 27, 2019 4:57 am

Also, it's not inconceivable that Costco's normal commission on gift cards exceeds 10%. I know BJ's for instance normally discounts every gift card on their rack (except theirs) by 5% or more. For Costco, if they get some people to join because of this, they might think it's worth it.

jimquan Nov 27, 2019 11:14 am

Here's my theory: in some markets, especially hubs, Delta commands a price premium and it's hurting their bottom line. They don't want to offer head to head discounts so entering a gift card promo with Costco is a way of softening their higher prices on some routes and adding immediately to the bottom line. It may also reflect softening travel demand.

Heck, we bought United tickets SLC to LIH and even buying the first class upgrade over water it was cheaper. The original tickets were over a thousand dollars less than Delta.

Jim