FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   10% Off Delta Gift Cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1996414-10-off-delta-gift-cards.html)

jrkmsp Nov 21, 2019 2:34 pm

Bought $2,000 worth. Didn't want to tie up the full $3,000 at Mama Delta so early in the year. I put it on my Bank of America CashRewards credit card, which has a 3% cash back on "online shopping" and/or 2% cash back at "warehouse clubs", plus I'm top tier preferred rewards which gives me a 75% bonus and ultimately means I'm out of pocket either $852.75 or $868.49, depending on which category it codes as. Pretty sweet discount on next year's MQDs...

fti Nov 21, 2019 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 31762898)
Costco.com accepts Visa, MC, Discover, Diners Club and JCB.

Looks like a $2699 purchase of $3000 DL e-gift card would garner a 2% exec rebate ($53.98), and the same amount of rebate with the Citi Costco card.

Seems to me that other cards could give a better return. I used a CFU card that gives 1.5 UR points/dollar. Transferred to my CSR card I can get at least 2.25% credit toward booking and even more if transferred to an airline program for flights.

Tomphot Nov 21, 2019 4:20 pm

I just maxed out $4,500 worth @ $4,049.94 - was also just notified of $81.00 rebate to my account for exec account.
Tomorrow will be booking 3 tix ATL-SAN in FC for Jan & Feb. That will chew up a good bit of it!

ab2013 Nov 21, 2019 5:32 pm

This is a great deal - are there alternatives to CSR/AMEX travel insurance that make the savings worth it?

Tomphot Nov 21, 2019 5:41 pm

There have been a number of comments about trip insurance and I always check the NO box when booking. I have been flying for business since ‘81 and have never once been in a situation where I would have needed it. Am I missing something?

lifeandmylens Nov 21, 2019 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Tomphot (Post 31763841)
There have been a number of comments about trip insurance and I always check the NO box when booking. I have been flying for business since ‘81 and have never once been in a situation where I would have needed it. Am I missing something?

I think much of it stems from the new Amex included trip delay/cancellation insurance. I’ve never bought trip insurance either.

lsquare Nov 21, 2019 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by lifeandmylens (Post 31762653)
I ended up purchasing $3,000 worth before they might sell out. It seems like a great deal for 10% off rates and they never expire (plus 2% Costco, plus chase visa points).

Amex trip insurance probably won't cover it even if a portion is paid via Amex.

I don't really have a card that's optimized for Costco spend. I want to buy $3k as well. Should I use my Citi Premier, CSP, or Chase Hyatt since they don't accept AMEX?

lsquare Nov 21, 2019 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp (Post 31763356)
Bought $2,000 worth. Didn't want to tie up the full $3,000 at Mama Delta so early in the year. I put it on my Bank of America CashRewards credit card, which has a 3% cash back on "online shopping" and/or 2% cash back at "warehouse clubs", plus I'm top tier preferred rewards which gives me a 75% bonus and ultimately means I'm out of pocket either $852.75 or $868.49, depending on which category it codes as. Pretty sweet discount on next year's MQDs...

Totally agree with ya. I probably should consider the BoA Premium Rewards in the future.

NOLAnwGOLD Nov 21, 2019 7:48 pm

I just bought $2k worth. The $1k were on "backorder." Got $36 for the executive membership rebate plus card rebate (2% if you have the Costco card).

bloc0102 Nov 21, 2019 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by fti (Post 31763514)
Seems to me that other cards could give a better return. I used a CFU card that gives 1.5 UR points/dollar. Transferred to my CSR card I can get at least 2.25% credit toward booking and even more if transferred to an airline program for flights.

You would've gotten 3% which turns into 4.5% if you would just use your CSR at DL directly...or 5x MR with a Plat...so it's actually costing you.

acrophobia Nov 21, 2019 8:16 pm

Just to be sure... can these gift cards be used for any flight booked on delta.com, regardless of the operating airline? I’m about to book JFK-HAN roundtrip in J; 10% off would be pretty sweet.

Zorak Nov 21, 2019 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by fti (Post 31763514)

Originally Posted by bloc0102 (Post 31764083)
You would've gotten 3% which turns into 4.5% if you would just use your CSR at DL directly...or 5x MR with a Plat...so it's actually costing you.

I'm slightly confused, or at least unsure of what the comparison is supposed to be here. It's true that booking directly at DL with a CSR/Plat would earn 3-5+% in rewards, but then you don't get the 10% discount which is the subject of the thread.

NOLAnwGOLD Nov 22, 2019 12:10 am

So it seems they are cancelling the order after you place it, so seems to be a moot point now....

jrkmsp Nov 22, 2019 7:33 am

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD (Post 31764520)
So it seems they are cancelling the order after you place it, so seems to be a moot point now....

really? Interesting. Is that because of the back order? Because I got my gift cards via email already and verified them on Delta.com.

lifeandmylens Nov 22, 2019 7:36 am

Originally Posted by jrkmsp (Post 31765406)
really? Interesting. Is that because of the back order? Because I got my gift cards via email already and verified them on Delta.com.

Same here, received the email with the gift cards and mine all verified on delta. And now Costco is showing out of stock.