Wiki Posts
Search

Special Meal in First Class Domestic?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL- PM, AA-PlatPro
Special Meal in First Class Domestic?

Thank you to everyone on this forum for sharing your knowledge, it has helped me numerous times.

I tried to search regarding this topic but didn't find the answer. My apologies if this has been addressed before and if it has please point me in the right direction.

I'm only a Platinum Medallion member so don't travel as frequently as most of you but have a question regarding first class meals when travelling domestically. My husband is vegan and never expects to eat a meal on the plane however on our last domestic flight the flight attendant suggested he should contact Delta and request a special meal. I was under the impression that special meals were only available on international routes. Is requesting a special meal an option on domestic flights?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:46 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rmp_king
Thank you to everyone on this forum for sharing your knowledge, it has helped me numerous times.

I tried to search regarding this topic but didn't find the answer. My apologies if this has been addressed before and if it has please point me in the right direction.

I'm only a Platinum Medallion member so don't travel as frequently as most of you but have a question regarding first class meals when travelling domestically. My husband is vegan and never expects to eat a meal on the plane however on our last domestic flight the flight attendant suggested he should contact Delta and request a special meal. I was under the impression that special meals were only available on international routes. Is requesting a special meal an option on domestic flights?

Thank you in advance for your help!
You can request a special meal in domestic F. In your reservation there is a "Special > Add" within each passenger's details link that lets your choose.

You need to be booked in F and request the meal at least 24 hours in advance. Hopefully goes without saying, but you can only request special meals on flights with regularly scheduled meal service.

Last edited by TTT; Nov 13, 2019 at 6:52 pm
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:24 pm

As TTT mentioned you can make your meal selection at any time after booking - upto 24 hrs before departure and there is a 'Vegetarian Meal (Non-Dairy)' option available for vegans.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is it 24 or 48 hours?

Also, AFAIK this doesn't apply to "meals" that are designated as snacks on certain domestic flights, nor to nonmainline flights (RJs).
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is it 24 or 48 hours?

Also, AFAIK this doesn't apply to "meals" that are designated as snacks on certain domestic flights, nor to nonmainline flights (RJs).
24 hours. I believe any flight over 799 miles will have them (last year I had special meals on LGA-MCO and MCO-DTW)
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by TTT
You can request a special meal in domestic F. In your reservation there is a "Special > Add" within each passenger's details link that lets your choose.

You need to be booked in F and request the meal at least 24 hours in advance. Hopefully goes without saying, but you can only request special meals on flights with regularly scheduled meal service.

This :-:

Although, keep in mind that theres an 80% chance of a special meal actually getting loaded, and then a further reduced chance of the special meal actually being what its supposed to be, and an even further reduced chance of it being proactively offerred to you.

If youre in F, ask as soon as you board -- hopefully catering carts are still there. The FA will check, and coordiante with catering if necessary. IME, the biggest pain point here is when catering *has* the special meal but fails to actually hand it off to the flight in need. This happens far too often - and I've saved over a dozen ___-style meals in the past two years by verifying its presence with the FA during boarding and when not there the FA asking catering (while still loading) to hand over the meal as theyre supposed to.

TL;DR - catering often are lazy cows, they liuke to forget handing off special meals esp on domestic flights. Who knows why? I'll leave that to your imagination .
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence. The same holds for laziness.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:14 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Also keep expectations pretty low on many domestic routes (especially for out-and-back flights where catering is done at the hub for both outbound and return). I recall ordering a Vegetarian meal RDU-SLC and got two slices of bread and three strips of grilled summer squash as a "dinner" meal.
Atlantarita likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you change within the 24 hours, whether voluntary or involuntary, e.g. IRROPS, SDC, VDB, do not expect the special meal to follow you.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is it 24 or 48 hours?

It's 24hours and special meals can be ordered for regional flights. Snacks I dont believe is a term DL uses anymore (at least in regards to meals, there's still the snack basket).

Originally Posted by SDQBound
24 hours. I believe any flight over 799 miles will have them (last year I had special meals on LGA-MCO and MCO-DTW)
Its 900 miles or longer. I know this because you can tell they picked this length with great thought. Many flights are just above 850 miles or so and thus get no meal. For example SAT/AUS-ATL are 875 miles and thus get no meal. There are exception routes, ATL-NYC being one that get meals regardless. Also theres a window between 1330-1600 where the length goes up to 1400 or 1500 miles.

OP, read the forum, if I remember there's an issue with DL having the two types of vegan meals backwards. Ie you order the non-dairy vegan meal and get the regular and v.v. I dont know if this is still a thing as I'm a meat eater and thus have not had reason to be concerned.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by flyerCO
OP, read the forum, if I remember there's an issue with DL having the two types of vegan meals backwards. Ie you order the non-dairy vegan meal and get the regular and v.v. I dont know if this is still a thing as I'm a meat eater and thus have not had reason to be concerned.
There are three types of meals to consider: AVML (Asian Vegetarian), VGML, and VLML. AVML is sometimes, but not reliably, vegan (usually depending on whether catering goes east asian or south asian). VGML and VLML (theoretically vegan and ovo-lacto, respectively) IME get swapped from time to time. I also got an LSML once consisting of a chicken breast when I ordered a VLML. The FA gave me some miles for that one.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
I’m a fan of the Hindu meal. Usually a vegetarian curry with naan and other accompaniment. There was that one weird flight SEA-JFK where the guy sitting next to me was Indian and I ordered the Hindu meal and he didn’t. The flight attendant was a bit confused.

edit to add that I’m not Indian or Hindu.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by bennos
VGML and VLML (theoretically vegan and ovo-lacto, respectively) IME get swapped from time to time.
There were a number of reports of this on the main food thread, IIRC, so definitely something to watch out for when you receive your meal in-flight if you ordered one or the other.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA Gold, United Silver, SW A List, Bonvoy Titanium
The advice on 'how' has been covered, but I completely agree with managing expectations. I have a food allergy, and the results are very hit and miss. Mostly miss. So, always have backup food on long flights (and most people with eating restrictions do). Unfortunately, Delta also doesn't equip the flight attendants with a ton of information, either, if you have questions about what is provided.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by anon2k2
I’m a fan of the Hindu meal. Usually a vegetarian curry with naan and other accompaniment. There was that one weird flight SEA-JFK where the guy sitting next to me was Indian and I ordered the Hindu meal and he didn’t. The flight attendant was a bit confused.

edit to add that I’m not Indian or Hindu.
+1!
Out of SEA particularly, both the Hindu and Halal meals are best. In both you basically get the same thing -
  • A piece of naan,
  • steamed rice
  • Veg curry usually cauliflower or paneer(cottage cheese) - substitute with chicken curry if its Halal meal
  • Dal
There was a time few yrs ago when I was doing SEA-MSP regularly sometimes more then once a week and I cycled thru all meals (except baby meal) and these 2 were best. I don't know whats the quality and contents from other stations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.