Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do a majority of people sleep on daytime transcontinental flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do a majority of people sleep on daytime transcontinental flights?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
For me the most rediculus is that some people sleep with the shades up with sun in their eye
I have been known on occasion to fall asleep on a beach at high noon. It would be most ridiculous for you to believe that I'm an ancient Roman deity.

Even if we're not presently living in the Age of Aquarius, I still think we should let the sun shine in.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:58 pm

I will only sleep on a 6am flight going Westbound or the connection from a redeye up/down the East Coast, and even then, I keep the shades open and limit myself to an hour of sleep or I will get jetlag. All other times during a daytime flight, the window will be open to prevent jetlag. Sleeping because you are bored, to pass the time, or because "you like it" is not a good habit to get into and I have learned that the hard way as its really hard to get a healthy sleep at night if you spend too much time sleeping during waking hours.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
My naps are not bothered by open shades. I would never ask a window seater to close the shades on a day flight. My nap shouldn't infringe on the joy of daydreaming while staring at clouds, or looking at the land zoom by (the magic of flight stuff).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by altabello
Having all window shades closed on a daytime flight makes me feel more claustrophobic, so I usually book a window seat to control mine. I will partially lower it, if the sun directly shines in. Seeing even just a bit of the outside makes me feel much better, as I can focus on something besides the crowded tube.
Agreed. Nothing worse than being on a 1pm flight in a pitch black cabin with all the shades closed. I always select a window seat for this reason.

I get the point of it on a long-haul flight crossing many time zones or something of that nature, but not on a short domestic flight including a transcon leaving just before 2pm and arriving at what, 4:30pm? If you want to nap that's why there's an eye shade in the amenity kit.
altabello likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:33 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
I'm sure most people are divided between up and down, do I hear partially drawn, LOL.

Except when I'm flying N-S and have the rising or setting sun shining in, my preference is to have the shades up. Nothing is worse then being in a flying tube for any length of time in a dark environs. Why do they turn up the lights for meals, so the friggen FA can see, and you can see that wonderful tasty meal they put in front of you!

Why they turn them down and pull the shades on the long flights, so the FA can hope everyone sleeps, they can go to the back and do minimum service, LOL.

My personal opinion for safety, beauty and sanity we should keep them open. For people that need to sleep, aren't their those things they hand out up front and you can buy for a few dollars that cover your eyes?

Darn those countless flights from SFO-PVG and PVG-LAX back it would have been nice to have a little daylight instead of sitting in the dark for 12+ hours!
ijgordon, MSPeconomist and TXguy like this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
I tend to doze-off on almost any flight at any time of the day, typically right after takeoff, but really only a short cat-nap and wake-up once we get to altitude and/or service begins. I usually do work on my laptop, read, or watch something on the show. I don't sleep as well on the road, in hotels, for work travel I tend get less sleep than I do at home so I can be a bit tired on the return trip home.
Daytime flights I am usually awake for the flight.

The only time I really try to sleep on a flight are the super-early 6am departures where I've been up since 3:30am, or on the really, really late night flights where its after midnight.
Red-eyes TATL flights too at least for an hour or two with limited success.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
rWhenever I've gotten a seat in D1, I generally put the seat in the supine position at wheels up and try to sleep as long as I can.

On a recent trip in domestic F IAD-ATL-SEA and SEA-IAD, I slept on the westbound ATL-SEA from push back to North Platte, Nebraska (probably 3 hours); on the eastbound non-stop, I fell asleep during taxi out and woke up somewhere around Plymouth, Indiana (20 miles south of South Bend), about 60 minutes out of IAD. I was also able to sleep around 2.5 hours after having my PDB but before push back when the 27 minute flight between BHM and ATL back on 10/25 took a total of 4 hours 15 minutes from boarding to deplaning due to a ground stop at ATL (I was #6 for 9 upgrades, thank goodness).

I have trouble sleeping in Y, even when I have the seats next to me open. On 11/4/19 I flew IAD-FCO and only slept for two one hour stints; I got woken up by a big bump about 1000 miles west of Ireland, and the turbulence was so significant for the next two hours that I could not return to sleep. On the west bound this past Monday, I did a little better, falling asleep during taxi out and waking up during meal service, then slept around 2.5 hours, waking up in the middle of turbulence about 500 miles northeast of Bermuda (we took the southern track over Madrid and Lisbon).
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chipmaster
I'm sure most people are divided between up and down, do I hear partially drawn, LOL.

Except when I'm flying N-S and have the rising or setting sun shining in, my preference is to have the shades up. Nothing is worse then being in a flying tube for any length of time in a dark environs. Why do they turn up the lights for meals, so the friggen FA can see, and you can see that wonderful tasty meal they put in front of you!
I do like to look out the window and I do like to try to use daylight to regulate my internal clock on long-hauls. But I also try to be cognizant of direct sunlight streaming in through a fully opened window, as well as the fact that bright light can make it difficult for others to watch IFE. So on long-hauls, I usually won't leave the window open more than an inch, that lets in enough light for my immediate area, and maybe I'll pop it open a little wider temporarily if there's something interesting to look at (like polar ice).
On domestic daytime flights I'm more inclined to leave it open, subject to not letting the sun shine directly into someone's eyes.

I think this is one of those topics where there's no right answer and lots of different opinions, some quite strong. People should try and compromise when possible.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I’m sitting in D1 from JFK to LAX now. I am usually a shades down at all times guy, but on this flight (left at 1:50 PM), I thought I may go shades up and pop open the laptop for a couple of hours of work. Out of 30+ windows, only four are open, and it seems like a dozen or so passengers are in full sleep mode. Is this common nowadays on midday long flights? No judgement, just curious
I nearly always sleep on flights, including those transcon and westbound transatlantic (day flights, that is).
Old Nov 14, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I have slept through many takeoffs and landings, probably more takeoffs.
given your earlier statement (which, as someone who has been in and around the world of aviation safety -- commercial and military -- for a loooooong time, I completely agree with), I find that admission more than a bit ironic
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
...To me, it's common sense that it's much safer to have the shades up during takeoff and landing so that there's natural light (or outside ground lighting) to aid an emergency evacuation and also to enable emergency responders to see into the cabin more easily if necessary. ...
takeoff and landing are the highest-risk phases of flight ... i.e., when there's the most likelihood of an emergency incident or accident ... and therefore the times when passengers need to be most alert to respond to crew instructions
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I agree......and I always keep my shoes on during takeoff and landing even if I change into slippers in the middle of a long flight.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: How to move abroad
I always get sleepy on flights over 2 hours. I think it might be caused by the air pressure, change of oxygen or something related. Nothing keeps me from getting drowsy.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:30 pm

I don't usually plan to sleep since I generally fly JFK to LAX leaving at 9am, and I don't usually fly with a flatbed. But Delta pushed up my flight in July from 8am to 7am (I think they consolidated flights) and that is seriously early. Since I'm flying in D1 this time, I think I might try to go back to sleep once on board! I'll be getting into LA at 10am, after all.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:47 pm

No, but the FAs wish they would.

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I’m sitting in D1 from JFK to LAX now. I am usually a shades down at all times guy, but on this flight (left at 1:50 PM), I thought I may go shades up and pop open the laptop for a couple of hours of work. Out of 30+ windows, only four are open, and it seems like a dozen or so passengers are in full sleep mode. Is this common nowadays on midday long flights? No judgement, just curious

No, most don't sleep, but the FAs sure wish they would. That's why they dim the lights, drop hints about closing the window shades, and crank the heat up.

(Excessively heated plane temps actually make it impossible for me to sleep, but that seems to be part of the FA "RX" for putting the passengers to sleep so life will be easier.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.