FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Diamond Choice Benefit - Sky Club Guest Pass (Consolidated Thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1994659-diamond-choice-benefit-sky-club-guest-pass-consolidated-thread.html)

SeaHawg Jun 23, 2017 8:30 pm

Diamond Choice Benefit - Sky Club Guest Pass (Consolidated Thread)

Is anyone else having issues getting their +1 complimentary access into SkyClubs? I am not a SkyClub member, however, I have access through both my DL Reserve and Bus Plat AMEX.

After making DM for 2018 in early May, I selected the guest pass choice benefit so my wife would have complimentary access when traveling with me.

The ambassadors in the MEM club asked me what exactly that benefit was before they admitted my wife in. Nice club, btw.

In DTW, the ambassadors acted like they had never heard of this benefit. Eventually a very nice (not a DYKWIA) call to the DM line was made, and a note on my acct was added for the club ambassadors to see. It seemed to have fixed the issue. I was tempted to use a CB for membership and then use SkyPesos to buy up to Executive Membership, however, the benefit would only last a year as opposed to Feb 2019. Has anyone else encountered this?

xliioper Jun 23, 2017 8:35 pm

The Choice Benefit website appears to say that the Guest Pass benefit does not begin until October 1, 2017. So not terribly surprising that no one knows what you are talking about at this point.

flyerCO Jun 23, 2017 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by SeaHawg (Post 28480181)
Is anyone else having issues getting their +1 complimentary access into SkyClubs? I am not a SkyClub member, however, I have access through both my DL Reserve and Bus Plat AMEX.

After making DM for 2018 in early May, I selected the guest pass choice benefit so my wife would have complimentary access when traveling with me.

The ambassadors in the MEM club asked me what exactly that benefit was before they admitted my wife in. Nice club, btw.

In DTW, the ambassadors acted like they had never heard of this benefit. Eventually a very nice (not a DYKWIA) call to the DM line was made, and a note on my acct was added for the club ambassadors to see. It seemed to have fixed the issue. I was tempted to use a CB for membership and then use SkyPesos to buy up to Executive Membership, however, the benefit would only last a year as opposed to Feb 2019. Has anyone else encountered this?

If you buy up, it also lasts till end of Jan 2019. It simply upgrades the free SC membership (choice benefit) till it runs out. Did this last year.

EarlVolFan Jun 23, 2017 9:11 pm

For new Diamonds, like me, the benefit is available immediately when selecting 2018 DM benefits, which I just did. For existing Diamonds who already have complimentary SC membership, the benefit is not available until October 1.

Had no problem bringing my wife in the SEA club last week using the Guest Pass benefit, but the folks in the new ATL B club weren't aware of it, but now know about it as we researched the fine print together.

BTW, you get to bring TWO guests in with this choice benefit.

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 28480193)
The Choice Benefit website appears to say that the Guest Pass benefit does not begin until October 1, 2017. So not terribly surprising that no one knows what you are talking about at this point.

SeaHawg Jun 23, 2017 9:22 pm

The choice benefit begins in October if you already have an existing SC membership. For those of us who don't- it should begin shortly after the choice benefit selection is made. That is where there seems to be some continuity issues across the SC locations.

xliioper Jun 24, 2017 7:47 am

Originally Posted by SeaHawg (Post 28480322)
The choice benefit begins in October if you already have an existing SC membership. For those of us who don't- it should begin shortly after the choice benefit selection is made. That is where there seems to be some continuity issues across the SC locations.

Okay, after reading the full terms in the T&C's I agree that it seems you should be able to use it now. I'm assuming they don't send you any additional physical Guest Pass credentials and Guest Pass status is likely annotated on your Skymiles account or ticket somehow. Do you have a copy of your boarding pass? It might say something there that you could refer agents to. I suspect you are likely among the first to get the Guest Pass benefit, and it's probably the first time many agent are encountering this so it's not too surprising they are unfamiliar with it.

SeaHawg Jun 24, 2017 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 28481326)
Okay, after reading the full terms in the T&C's I agree that it seems you should be able to use it now. I'm assuming they don't send you any additional physical Guest Pass credentials and Guest Pass status is likely annotated on your Skymiles account or ticket somehow. Do you have a copy of your boarding pass? It might say something there that you could refer agents to. I suspect you are likely among the first to get the Guest Pass benefit, and it's probably the first time many agent are encountering this so it's not too surprising they are unfamiliar with it.

That is exactly what is happening. I wasn't mad at the DTW agents, as we were in a hurry anyway, but I hope this will help anyone else using that choice benefit in the future.

pmv Oct 3, 2017 6:42 am

Choice Awards question: Skyclub guest pass

New/First time Diamond. One of the choice awards is the Skyclub guest pass which is for diamonds who have club access through other means such as credit cards.

I have access through my AMEX Plat (NOT a Delta AMEX). Can I select this one or is it only for people who have access through a Delta AMEX? T&C unclear on delta.com

thanks!

flyerCO Oct 3, 2017 6:54 am

Understanding is its for those who get free access to SC themself. Ie DL reserve. Its not for those that have to pay a fee per entry for themself.

MikeNYC1 Oct 3, 2017 7:12 am

Seems pretty black and white that you CAN select this as you have access via an eligible credit (charge) card (your AMEX unbranded Plat):

Must have complimentary Delta Sky Club access via eligible credit card such as the Delta Reserve Credit Card from American Express. You receive unlimited access to Delta Sky Club locations for up to two guests per visit when traveling with the eligible Card Member.

Members who do not have an eligible credit card that grants complimentary access to Delta Sky Club are not eligible for a Delta Sky Club Guest Pass and should instead choose an Executive Membership.
Your card (Amex Plat) grants complimentary access. Therefore, there shouldn't be a problem.

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28888168)
Understanding is its for those who get free access to SC themself. Ie DL reserve. Its not for those that have to pay a fee per entry for themself. Ie AMEX PLT

The Amex Plat grants free access for the cardholder. There's no need to pay a fee per entry. Perhaps you're thinking of the Amex Delta Plat?

flyerCO Oct 3, 2017 7:16 am

Originally Posted by MikeNYC1 (Post 28888224)
Seems pretty black and white that you CAN select this as you have access via an eligible credit (charge) card (your AMEX unbranded Plat):

Your card (Amex Plat) grants complimentary access. Therefore, there shouldn't be a problem.

The Amex Plat grants free access for the cardholder. There's no need to pay a fee per entry. Perhaps you're thinking of the Amex Delta Plat?

That is what i was meaning. Left the DL part off. There's too many dang AMEX cards to keep track of.

ryandc99 Oct 6, 2017 7:35 am

SkyClub Agents not trained or unaware of the Diamond SkyClub guest pass

Today I was visiting the ATL B SkyClub and alerted the check in agent that I had one guest and would be using my “guest pass”. I was accessing the club with my platinum American Express card and assumed saying guest pass would alert her to see I have the Diamond choice benefit for a guest.

Within a minute she had printed a receipt for 29.99 for a guest. I stated that I have the diamond choice benefit and asked why I didn’t tell her that. I asked her, what specifically am I supposed to say, and she said, “diamond choice benefit guest pass”, not just “guest pass.”

She then stated I was the first person she has seen use this. She was very apologetic and voided the 29.99 fee. Just a word of warning to be explicit With the desk agents. I’m also considering a note to customer care that they need additional training for their agents.

flyerCO Oct 6, 2017 9:19 am

Your term guest pass was ambiguous. What she sold you was a guest pass for an AMEX card holder.

Not sure how they need training. It wasn't made clear by you that you were using a free "guest pass" or a AMEX "guest pass." Once you pointed out which, she instantly fixed it. Not much more can be done.

javabytes Oct 6, 2017 9:25 am

Why did you hand her an Amex at all?

flyerCO Oct 6, 2017 9:28 am

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 28900663)
Why did you hand her an Amex at all?

If user earned DM first time this year then no SC free membership w/ DM status. Must hand card to get in using AMEX.

javabytes Oct 6, 2017 9:42 am

Ignore me. I shouldn't be trusted with a keyboard before three cups of coffee.

jdrtravel Oct 6, 2017 10:30 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28900678)
If user earned DM first time this year then no SC free membership w/ DM status. Must hand card to get in using AMEX.

Really? You don't get access right away?

Qwkynuf Oct 6, 2017 10:38 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 28900905)

I think he is referring to the change for 2018 where Sky Club membership is no longer an automatic benefit. It is now an option among your Choice Benefits, and they added a 3rd choice.

So in the past, Diamond gets 2 choices from the list and automatically gets an individual Sky Club membership (even if that member already has a membership or access via another method - Reserve Card, for example.

In the future, Diamond will get 3 Choice Benefits, and one of the options is an individual Sky Club membership. They also have a new option that allows you to bring up to 2 guests for free, which you can use as an add-on to an existing membership that you may have. This is what the OP is referring to.

CJKatl Oct 6, 2017 10:41 am

This is absolutely wrong. If a member achieves DM status today, the status will start now and continue through 2018. Until Jan 31, the member will have SC membership. After that, it can be chosen as one of the three choice benefits.

Diamond Medallion Members receive Delta Sky Club Individual Membership through January 31, 2018. Starting for the 2018 Medallion year, Diamond Medallion Members will still receive complimentary Delta Sky Club® Membership, which must now be selected via Choice Benefits. Learn more.
Hopefully people will not believe the incorrect information.

CJKatl Oct 6, 2017 10:43 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 28900905)

No. Hopefully you realize at this point not to believe everything that is posted. Check the actual rules, especially when a poster frequently posts incorrect information, appears to not check actual rules and never posts citations.

Here is the rule from the website:

Diamond Medallion Members receive Delta Sky Club Individual Membership through January 31, 2018. Starting for the 2018 Medallion year, Diamond Medallion Members will still receive complimentary Delta Sky Club® Membership, which must now be selected via Choice Benefits. Learn more.
As others have pointed out, the other information is wrong.

flyerCO Oct 6, 2017 11:10 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 28900963)
This is absolutely wrong. If a member achieves DM status today, the status will start now and continue through 2018. Until Jan 31, the member will have SC membership. After that, it can be chosen as one of the three choice benefits.

Hopefully people will not believe the incorrect information.

Incorrect. What is earned this year is 2018 elite status. 2018 status doesn't come with automatic SC membership. The rule change was announced back in 2016. Thud the blurb about SC membership through 2018. Anyone who earned DM elite status for the 2017 year (meaning earned last year) gets SC membership through Jan 31, 2018. Anyone who earns DM this year (meaning 2018 elite year) must choose it.

Once again accuse of bad info what at best can be attributed to typical DL confusion.

CJKatl Oct 6, 2017 11:56 am

You stated:

The post indicating there is no free DM SC membership is clearly wrong. 100% incorrect.
  1. Until Jan 31, the new DM will have free membership.
  2. After Jan 31, the DM can have free membership if it is chosen as a Choice Benefit.

The statement "then no SC free membership w/ DM status" is clearly, absolutely incorrect. The statement and post do not clarify anything about year, it is a blanket statement, which is totally false. There is no confusion, nor interpretation where this could be true. The only confusion is if someone were to believe the incorrect post and think there is no membership. Anyone reading the actual rule can see the truth.

jdrtravel Oct 6, 2017 12:26 pm

None of this helps me understand why OP needed the Amex card to enter. If OP already had access as a DM under old rules, OP would not need the Amex. If OP had selected access + guests as choice benefits, OP would not need it. Right? Am I missing something? So it seems to me that handing the Amex card to the agent is the source of confusion, unless there is something I am not clear on.

flyerCO Oct 6, 2017 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 28901277)
You stated:

The post indicating there is no free DM SC membership is clearly wrong. 100% incorrect.
  1. Until Jan 31, the new DM will have free membership.
  2. After Jan 31, the DM can have free membership if it is chosen as a Choice Benefit.

The statement "then no SC free membership w/ DM status" is clearly, absolutely incorrect. The statement and post do not clarify anything about year, it is a blanket statement, which is totally false. There is no confusion, nor interpretation where this could be true. The only confusion is if someone were to believe the incorrect post and think there is no membership. Anyone reading the actual rule can see the truth.

Anyone who earned DM for 2017 will have SC membership through Jan 31. Anyone who earned DM for first time this year (for 2018 status) must select the benefit of membership. If they earned DM status in 2016 (for 2017 status) then they have a SC membership through Jan 31. No where in there does it say those who earn DM this year (for 2018 status) get a SC membership.

Not sure how this is confusing.

Renes Points Oct 6, 2017 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 28901391)
None of this helps me understand why OP needed the Amex card to enter. If OP already had access as a DM under old rules, OP would not need the Amex. If OP had selected access + guests as choice benefits, OP would not need it. Right? Am I missing something? So it seems to me that handing the Amex card to the agent is the source of confusion, unless there is something I am not clear on.

Because the rules say so and by choosing Guest Pass as CB you dump club membership. See Delta.com https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-benefits.html

Delta Sky Club Guest Pass
Members who qualify for 2018 Diamond Medallion Status who have complimentary Delta Sky Club access via an eligible credit card — such as the Delta Reserve Credit Card from American Express — may select a Delta Sky Club Guest Pass to receive unlimited Delta Sky Club access for up to two (2) guests per visit when traveling with the Card Member. The Card Member will receive a Delta Sky Club Guest Pass from the amount of time between Choice Benefits selection and the end of the 2018 Medallion year (January 31, 2019). Members who do not have an eligible credit card that grants complimentary access to Delta Sky Club are not eligible for a Delta Sky Club Guest Pass and should instead choose an Executive Membership.All Diamond Medallion Members who currently have an existing Delta Sky Club membership and who already have access with a credit card will have the option of overriding your existing Delta Sky Club Individual Membership by replacing it with the Delta Sky Club Guest Pass. Please note that by selecting the new Guest Pass benefit, your existing Delta Sky Club Individual Membership will be cancelled and you will not be eligible for a refund for any remaining months on your existing Delta Sky Club membership. To view your current membership end date, visit the Delta Sky Club membership section in My Wallet.The eligible credit card must be used to physically access Delta Sky Club during any visit in which the Guest Pass is being used. If the Member’s Delta Sky Club access is terminated, the Member will no longer be able to use the Delta Sky Club Guest Pass.

Qwkynuf Oct 6, 2017 12:45 pm

The Platinum Amex card (non-Delta branded) grants Sky Club *access*. It does not confer a membership. I believe this is also true for the Reserve card, but I don't have one of those. The difference is that if you are using the card benefit for entry, you have to provide the card to the agent, who swipes it to verify eligibility. If you have a *membership* you can enter by just providing your Sky Miles number. IIRC, using card access requires a same-day Delta boarding pass. With the membership, you can be ticketed on any carrier (or none, though there may be some logistical challenges to getting there without a boarding pass)

exwannabe Oct 6, 2017 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 28900236)
... She then stated I was the first person she has seen use this. She was very apologetic and voided the 29.99 fee. Just a word of warning to be explicit With the desk agents. I’m also considering a note to customer care that they need additional training for their agents.

Please suggest exactly how they should be re-trained.

When 100 pax come through, give them an Amex card and ask for a guest pass, must they question them to make sure they do not have free access otherwise?

Just to make the 1 pax happy?

Sorry, this makes no sense at all.

CKDGM Oct 6, 2017 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 28901277)

As I read the actual rules:
"2018 Medallion Status is earned through flight and spending activity for the 2017 calendar year (January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017); 2018 Status is valid from the day it is earned until January 31, 2019."

2017 flying does not get you 2017 Status, it gets you early access to 2018 Status. If you already had DM for 2017 from your flying and spending in 2016, then requalifying results in an overlap where you have access to the 2018 benefits (can pick Choice Benefits immediately) but also the 2017 benefits (including SC individual membership).

"Starting February 1, 2017 for 2018 Medallion Year Choice Benefit Selections Only:
Diamond Medallion Members will still receive complimentary Delta Sky Club® Membership, which must now be selected via Choice Benefits starting with the 2018 Medallion year."

2018 DM does not include Sky Club membership by default, it must be taken as a Choice Benefit. That's very clear.

Therefore, since it is no longer possible to earn 2017 DM status but only 2018 status with the benefits starting in 2017, someone reaching DM for the first time today will not have Sky Club membership unless they have it outside of their DM benefits.

ryandc99 Oct 6, 2017 1:55 pm

I am a new diamond this year. I do not have access under last years program.

Since I have the Amex plat card, I picked the guest pass

ryandc99 Oct 6, 2017 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe (Post 28901574)
Please suggest exactly how they should be re-trained.

When 100 pax come through, give them an Amex card and ask for a guest pass, must they question them to make sure they do not have free access otherwise?

Just to make the 1 pax happy?

Sorry, this makes no sense at all.

They should be retrained to look to see if a diamond member has the choice benefit guest pass before blindly charging the fee.

DiverDave Oct 6, 2017 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28900636)
Your term guest pass was ambiguous. What she sold you was a guest pass for an AMEX card holder.

Not sure how they need training. It wasn't made clear by you that you were using a free "guest pass" or a AMEX "guest pass." Once you pointed out which, she instantly fixed it. Not much more can be done.

I have to agree here. ^ I expect the Diamond guest pass benefit is rarely seen at this point, so anybody using it would be wise to state it clearly.

It's not like it's printed on your boarding pass like a regular SC membership.

David

jdrtravel Oct 6, 2017 3:51 pm

Now I understand. I have the Amex card and know how it works. What I did not understand is that you could select guest passes as a benefit without having the membership yourself. I did not realize that you could couple the guest passes with the Amex card. (after looking it up I now realize that this is exactly what they benefit is for).

ryandc99 Oct 6, 2017 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by DiverDave (Post 28902091)
I have to agree here. ^ I expect the Diamond guest pass benefit is rarely seen at this point, so anybody using it would be wise to state it clearly.

It's not like it's printed on your boarding pass like a regular SC membership.

David

Well, I disagree. The agent even admitted she needs to pay better attention.

vbjd1111 Oct 6, 2017 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf (Post 28901461)
The Platinum Amex card (non-Delta branded) grants Sky Club *access*. It does not confer a membership. I believe this is also true for the Reserve card, but I don't have one of those. The difference is that if you are using the card benefit for entry, you have to provide the card to the agent, who swipes it to verify eligibility.

I have a Reserve card (and have no other Sky Club access/membership) and have never had to present the card to get entry, but I have only tried to gain entry when travelling on DL. I hand them my boarding pass and they welcome me in. My understanding has been I only have free access when travelling on DL.

CKDGM Oct 6, 2017 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by vbjd1111 (Post 28902223)
I have a Reserve card (and have no other Sky Club access/membership) and have never had to present the card to get entry, but I have only tried to gain entry when travelling on DL. I hand them my boarding pass and they welcome me in. My understanding has been I only have free access when travelling on DL.

Delta has an association between your SkyMiles number and your Reserve Card (for earning miles, the upgrade tiebreaker benefit, MQD waiver, etc), so they don't need to see/swipe the card to know that you're a cardholder. They probably don't have the same linkage for a non-Delta-branded Amex card, so in that case they may well need to see/swipe the card even for free access.

DiverDave Oct 6, 2017 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 28902179)
Well, I disagree. The agent even admitted she needs to pay better attention.

Disagree if you like, but you handed the agent an Amex card and said you would be using a “guest pass.” The agent quite reasonably thought you meant a guest pass using your Amex card.

Suggest in the future you reference your Diamond guest pass.

pharmawalk Oct 6, 2017 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by DiverDave (Post 28902645)
Disagree if you like, but you handed the agent an Amex card and said you would be using a “guest pass.” The agent quite reasonably thought you meant a guest pass using your Amex card.

Suggest in the future you reference your Diamond guest pass.

I concur.

Edit: I personally prefer to be proactive, rather than reactive (i.e., the OPs approach). Perhaps in the future, give a few more bits of information to expedite things and save yourself all the hassle.

bennos Oct 6, 2017 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by CKDGM (Post 28901645)
Therefore, since it is no longer possible to earn 2017 DM status but only 2018 status with the benefits starting in 2017, someone reaching DM for the first time today will not have Sky Club membership unless they have it outside of their DM benefits.

This is correct. I flip between PM and DM status. For program year 2017, I was PM, and became DM again in August 2017 (for program year 2018). I am DM now and do not have any SkyClub membership.

EarlVolFan Oct 6, 2017 8:33 pm

Thanks to some cheap Delta Trans-Atlantic fares this year and Reserve Card spend, I made Diamond for the first time in a few years, and with the new rules, probably my last, this June. My wife travels with me most of the time, so I selected the new guest pass choice benefit, which as a previous poster said, began immediately and is good until February, 2019 because I was a new Diamond.

The only place that I have had an issue was in the new Atlanta B club, where in June, I was challenged at the check-in desk, but helped them read and understand the rules and was admitted. A month ago, I had a similar experience, except I was allowed in unchallenged, but was paged to the desk by the supervisor, who started arguing with me about the rules, until a coworker corrected her. Typical lack of training and decorum for Delta employees in Atlanta, where one would think both would be paramount.

BTW, as Delta Reserve Cardholder, I have never had to produce my card to enter a SkyClub, just a paper or electronic BP.

kpbadger Dec 16, 2017 11:59 am

Diamond Skyclub guest pass choice benefit question

I'm considering the Delta Sky Club Guest Pass (Credit Card Access) for my 2018 selection as I hold the Delta Reserve card.

When traveling with my family (3 total), I will often split the reservation into two to get upgrades, with my son and I on one reservation and my wife on another. This year I got an executive membership which has worked fine - they just note 2 guests without looking at their boarding passes and wave us all in.

Before opting for this choice benefit, I'm curious to know if "traveling with the eligible Card Member" means "on the same flights" which would continue to work in my situation. However, if it means "on the same reservation" then obviously this wouldn't work.

If anyone selected this benefit already and started using it, how strict have the lounge dragons been in this situation? Do they scan BPs for all travelers or just wave everyone in after checking your card? Thanks in advance!

From: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-benefits.html

Must have complimentary Delta Sky Club access via eligible credit card such as the Delta Reserve Credit Card from American Express. You receive unlimited access to Delta Sky Club locations for up to two guests per visit when traveling with the eligible Card Member.

When you select the Sky Club Guest Pass as a Choice Benefit, it will terminate and replace any existing Delta Sky Club Individual Membership(s) in favor of this benefit. Some terms & conditions applyopens in a new window.
From: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tml#sclubgpass

Members who qualify for 2018 Diamond Medallion Status who have complimentary Delta Sky Club access via an eligible credit card — such as the Delta Reserve Credit Card from American Express — may select a Delta Sky Club Guest Pass to receive unlimited Delta Sky Club access for up to two (2) guests per visit when traveling with the Card Member. The Card Member will receive a Delta Sky Club Guest Pass from the amount of time between Choice Benefits selection and the end of the 2018 Medallion year (January 31, 2019). Members who do not have an eligible credit card that grants complimentary access to Delta Sky Club are not eligible for a Delta Sky Club Guest Pass and should instead choose an Executive Membership.

All Diamond Medallion Members who currently have an existing Delta Sky Club membership and who already have access with a credit card will have the option of overriding your existing Delta Sky Club Individual Membership by replacing it with the Delta Sky Club Guest Pass. Please note that by selecting the new Guest Pass benefit, your existing Delta Sky Club Individual Membership will be cancelled and you will not be eligible for a refund for any remaining months on your existing Delta Sky Club membership. To view your current membership end date, visit the Delta Sky Club membership section in My Wallet.

The eligible credit card must be used to physically access Delta Sky Club during any visit in which the Guest Pass is being used. If the Member’s Delta Sky Club access is terminated, the Member will no longer be able to use the Delta Sky Club Guest Pass.