Community
Wiki Posts
Search

22" Duffel as Carry-On

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

22" Duffel as Carry-On

I bought this 22" duffel bag that I hoped to use as carry on luggage on Delta and other airlines: https://www.macys.com/shop/product/n...fel?ID=6339294

It has the following dimensions: 13"H x 22"W x 12"D

Strictly speaking, it exceeds the 45" total length that Delta allows for the carry-ons (makes the total of 47"). But it can be squeezed to 9" easily (if not full of stuff).

Does anyone have any experience with the duffel bags as carry-ons?

Do they force you to check them in at the gate?

Will they allow this one into the regional aircraft such as CRJ 900?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
On my last trip, I carried a soft-sided backpack of about the same dimensions as your duffel. I didn't encounter any DL employee enforcing bag sizes.

On MDW-DTW, which was a CRJ-type regional jet, I made it to my seat in the rear of the aircraft with my bag, when one of the FA's noticed it wouldn't fit. I was ready to run it back up front to gate-check it once I got my laptop and phone out of it, but thankfully she decided to strap it in an unoccupied seat behind me. Returning home (to avoid a repeat performance) I asked the GA what to do; she said to gate check it.

On DTW-LHR, I was able to stow it under the seat, which was fine because I had the entire row to myself. On the return flight, I stowed it in the overhead bin.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If they're not solidly packed full and don't have hard frames, duffle bags and back packs tend to squish into smaller spaces, so they fit into the sizer and can be stowed on board. It's similar to the recommended use of soft-sided pet carriers that will fit under seats even if they theoretically are slightly bigger than the allowed dimensions.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If they're not solidly packed full and don't have hard frames, duffle bags and back packs tend to squish into smaller spaces, so they fit into the sizer and can be stowed on board. It's similar to the recommended use of soft-sided pet carriers that will fit under seats even if they theoretically are slightly bigger than the allowed dimensions.
Yes, hopefully on the larger plane it would be fine. And I learned that the sizing boxes at the airport that they rarely use actually have 1 extra inch for all 3 dimensions: https://renespoints.boardingarea.com...ested-numbers/

This person did something amazing that I never thought of - he actually measured one of these sizing boxes to see what type of bag will actually fit in there.

My only concern is that if they see me with this duffel that is 13 inch high they can stop me and force me to red tag it.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by LeoNYC10
force me to red tag it.
Enlighten me on the red tag thing? Not sure I have ever seen one on Delta.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
The dimensions are more for guidance. In the end it has to fit into the sizer at the gate. As you said, as long as it can compress a little, it should be perfectly fine on anything larger than a CRJ.

-J.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by indufan
Enlighten me on the red tag thing? Not sure I have ever seen one on Delta.
Aren't AA gate check bagtags red?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Aren't AA gate check bagtags red?
At Delta they are pink.

-J.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
You already got enough responses, but I'll add that over the years, I've been challenged twice with a backpack and duffel, one time at the gate (An agent walking around the boarding area) and one time actually during boarding. Both times, my bag "didn't fit" until I took out my winter jacket and put it on for a minute until I board.

In terms of the CRJ and MD small planes - Again, if it is not overly filled, your bag can fit under the seat. If it is relatively flat/compressible, you may be able to squeeze it into the overhead compartment. Note that some overhead compartments are bigger, even on the same plane... (The right side was the larger side if I remember correctly)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.