Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Boarding Zone Shenanigans : Photo Evidence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

MBJ-ATL today. 737. I was the first person in line when they called F and Diamonds. The preboarding line was Crazy .. One wheel chair in the need extra time -while I know some folks ail without showing it I wasn’t buying it. I was in the bridge for at least 10 minutes. To makes matters worse after the ground crew flubbed it, there was no PDB and not even water bottles until boarding was almost wrapped up. In their defense the wheels up service was excellent.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: SU/DL/US/MR
Did they serve cheese w/that wine ?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jredknapp11
Did they serve cheese w/that wine ?
Is it a crazy notion to expect to receive the product I purchased?
Gig103, seat38a and SouthernCanada like this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Tine Rod
MBJ-ATL today. 737. I was the first person in line when they called F and Diamonds. The preboarding line was Crazy .. One wheel chair in the need extra time -while I know some folks ail without showing it I wasn’t buying it. I was in the bridge for at least 10 minutes. To makes matters worse after the ground crew flubbed it, there was no PDB and not even water bottles until boarding was almost wrapped up. In their defense the wheels up service was excellent.
You're departing an island in the Caribbean. There is no sense of any kind of boarding priority, it's just the way it works. Used to fly AA out of STT all the time and no one ever follows boarding zones or sections, nor would the gate staff enforce them in any way. People just line up, they open the door, and then walk out onto the apron and board the plane. Be glad you got a boarding bridge.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I find boarding at outstations (contract gate staff) to be highly inconsistent. It's normally a free for all.
anon2k2 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:16 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Pretty sure PDB isn't published as a guaranteed service. If first class was in the back, they would board first and do PDB while coach boards without getting in the way. No reason to slow the boarding process down because certain people can't go without alcohol until the plane is in the air.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
If you’re generally a “rule follower” type (I am too) then this can be infuriating, but in the end, you got to were you were headed safely. I guess that is the main point of flying.

BTW, if you’re really triggered by boarding process, never go to China. Boarding planes will make your head will explode.
ExArkie and muaddib89 like this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Marriott LTE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by anon2k2
If you’re generally a “rule follower” type (I am too) then this can be infuriating, but in the end, you got to were you were headed safely. I guess that is the main point of flying.

BTW, if you’re really triggered by boarding process, never go to China. Boarding planes will make your head will explode.

Queues in general anywhere in SE Asia will make your head explode if you're an American. We are rule followers for the most part, while in SE Asia, it is a free for all regarding anything queue related. I finally just relented and used my size to get to the front and no one seemed to even bat an eye. This made my time there more fun as full contact queue'ing became quite the game.
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I am. glad that in SDQ they have started to follow most of the time boarding zones.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by samlev01
Queues in general anywhere in SE Asia will make your head explode if you're an American. We are rule followers for the most part, while in SE Asia, it is a free for all regarding anything queue related. I finally just relented and used my size to get to the front and no one seemed to even bat an eye. This made my time there more fun as full contact queue'ing became quite the game.
This has not been my experience in the destinations I frequent .

Last edited by Tine Rod; Oct 29, 2019 at 1:48 pm
Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

but in the end, you got to were you were headed safely. I guess that is the main point of flying..
I could have paid $200 on spirit VS $1200 on Delta for that.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

This is not my experience (with delta) in SE. People just seem clueless at times.
Originally Posted by jackvogt
Pretty sure PDB isn't published as a guaranteed service. If first class was in the back, they would board first and do PDB while coach boards without getting in the way. No reason to slow the boarding process down because certain people can't go without alcohol until the plane is in the air.
Not at all, but I don’t think a water bottle on the seat slows down boarding .
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
There are plenty of times I would trade SkyPriority boarding for a SkyPriority jetbridge lane. Until my the whims of the world are completely under my control, I happily settle for what actually exists.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Tine Rod
I could have paid $200 on spirit VS $1200 on Delta for that.
$1,000 is a lot extra to pay just for boarding groups, which are mainly farcical anyway. Everyone with a Delta credit card gets into group 1 (which is the 3rd or 4th zone to board if I recall) so groups are just weird anyway.

I kinda like the way Southwest has trained all their passengers to line up in numerical order and to buy a better number if they want to board first.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
$1,000 is a lot extra to pay just for boarding groups...
Agreed. I'd probably take the $200 Spirit fare and still have $800 to spend on big front seat selection, luggage, and priority boarding. I could probably even buy everything on the menu with the remainder.
ijgordon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.