Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple fails on stroller valet check

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2019, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; Bonvoy Ambassador
Multiple fails on stroller valet check

On 2 of my last three flights (ATL-EWR and TXL-JFK) we plane side valeted (pink tag) a stroller. Scanned boarding passes, got the pink little physical receipt, no problem.

Then... wait in the jetway. And wait. And wait. Flight attendants leaving. In the first case, First Officer is leaving and sees me there, so goes down to check and says they sent it to baggage claim.

Most recent time, everyone leaves and it’s me and someone waiting for a wheelchair, also pink tagged. App shows stroller still on plane, and other bag delivered to customs. Supervisor gets called, says they’re both on the plane. Long story short, supervisor comes up after I’ve been waiting for 52 minutes and says... oh, I guess everything got sent to baggage claim.

Of course, stroller is also our car seat— so if it gets lost, we have no easy way to get back from airport. (NYC isn’t home.)

What’s wrong with Delta’s systems that this is happening multiple times? Is it lazy ramp people or something else?
Old Oct 25, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Was a bag tag attached? I've never had to scan BP for a pink tag, only for a regular white bag tag. White tag goes to bag claim.

As for international flights, I've heard GA tell people the stroller will have to be picked up at bag claim in customs hall. I've been on numerous flights into LAX where passengers are frantically waiting, only to be reminded. Even wheelchairs are sent to bag claim. In its place a wheelchair pusher picks you up.
lost_perspicacity likes this.

Last edited by flyerCO; Oct 25, 2019 at 6:36 pm
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't believe that DL generally valet checks (just for clarity, returns the stroller planeside) on international flights. That doesn't account for the first instance.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Was a bag tag attached? I've never had to scan BP for a pink tag, only for a regular white bag tag. White tag goes to bag claim.

As for international flights, I've heard GA tell people the stroller will have to be picked up at bag claim in customs hall. I've been on numerous flights into LAX where passengers are frantically waiting, only to be reminded. Even wheelchairs are sent to bag claim. In its place a wheelchair pusher picks you up.
If you've never had to scan a BP for a gate check/pink tag....the GA is being lazy. Pink tags are scanned to enable the 6 digit tag number to be put into the PNR for tracking just like a standard white checked bag tag.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Separate issue, but after having a couple of expensive strollers get trashed after gate checking, we bought a travel stroller that folds up small enough to qualify as carryon. We wouldn’t necessarily use it for an everyday stroller, but it is perfectly fine for a one or two week trip. No getting damaged in cargo, no getting lost, no waiting for gate checked luggage, etc.
OHDL1 and wrytoast like this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Yes...pink tag attached.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Fascinating. Would have been nice if the gate agent would have told us that...
Old Oct 27, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Was a bag tag attached? I've never had to scan BP for a pink tag,
Really? Never? They have been doing this for a while.
acrophobia likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Was a bag tag attached? I've never had to scan BP for a pink tag,
that’s incorrect. Last month DL scanner my BP, scan the pink tag, then hand you the pink tag to put on your bag.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by acrophobia
Separate issue, but after having a couple of expensive strollers get trashed after gate checking, we bought a travel stroller that folds up small enough to qualify as carryon. We wouldn’t necessarily use it for an everyday stroller, but it is perfectly fine for a one or two week trip. No getting damaged in cargo, no getting lost, no waiting for gate checked luggage, etc.
Though "trashing" vs late might be different, this really is the same issue and you have a good add to the knowledge base of how to avoid potential issues.

To me, the biggest advantage of this board is often not just to help OP, but help anybody in the future who might be in a similar situation.

You made a very good on topic post that might help people in the future.
acrophobia and rickg523 like this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Seems like you just got unlucky. I've gate checked our stroller about 50 times and it's always been planeside, usually before or a few minutes after we get to the jetway, but never more than a 10 minute wait.

Originally Posted by acrophobia
This is great advice. We have the GB Pockit Plus and it's absolutely tiny when folded up. We use this whenever we have a tight connection or are flying to an airport that doesn't allow planeside gate-checking. The Summer Infant is our workhorse stroller though. It's 3.5 years old and is now transporting our second child. It was $60 at K-mart and is incredibly durable, comfortable for the child, and has very high handlebars for a travel stroller.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Seems like you just got unlucky. I've gate checked our stroller about 50 times and it's always been planeside, usually before or a few minutes after we get to the jetway, but never more than a 10 minute wait.

This is great advice. We have the GB Pockit Plus and it's absolutely tiny when folded up. We use this whenever we have a tight connection or are flying to an airport that doesn't allow planeside gate-checking. The Summer Infant is our workhorse stroller though. It's 3.5 years old and is now transporting our second child. It was $60 at K-mart and is incredibly durable, comfortable for the child, and has very high handlebars for a travel stroller.
+1 for the Summer Infant (3Dlite Model here). Awesome stroller. It has been plane side checked about 40 times for us and is in perfect shape. Got it for $70 when Toys-R-Us went out of business.

We debated something like the GB Pockit...but never found the need. Every plane on every airline allows planeside checking for strollers (+ wheelchairs) from CRJ up to A-350's. We have never done international with DL & baby, but I would be surprised if it was different than other airlines. If it is a customs issue, how do people that need wheelchairs get them to go to customs? We always get our stroller at the gate, including on a DL 767 in HNL.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vincentharris
that’s incorrect. Last month DL scanner my BP, scan the pink tag, then hand you the pink tag to put on your bag.
While they may do this, I've only seen it once or twice. Majority of time they hand you a tag and tell you if needed to attach it. Its only scanned when loaded into cargo hold, never scanned by GA. Just last week I was given pink tag without it being scanned.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
I wonder if they only scan them on mainline flights where only a couple of special items get pink tagged.
I take a roundtrip on a regional jet monthly where all rollers get tagged and never have had mine scanned.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond and MM, UA 1K, Marriott LTT
Stop traveling with a stroller.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.