Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

European Power Adapters work great on DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.

I always struggled to charge my devices on aircraft - whether I was in D1, C+, etc. using a power plug (as opposed to a USB adapter). Frequently the plugs appeared to be plugged in, but didn't charge my device, and/or charged and then became dislodged, and wouldn't charge etc...

I recently acquired a European iPad charger and wow, with the two long prongs I have had absolutely no issues charging my devices. And, desperate the charge my MacBook the other day, I swapped the little part with the power prongs from the iPad charger to my MacBook charger - and it worked perfectly. Hope this helps everyone out
Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: DL DM
even better options as it can be used all around the world and has USB adapters for multiple devices and is inexpensive.

https://tinyurl.com/y6rksepd

Last edited by Mr. Tickets; Oct 20, 2019 at 7:51 am
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
Based on a tip from the forum, I've been using the UK adapter routinely on flights because the plug doesn't fall out.

The problem with the flat US-style plug is not just that wear-and-tear have made them loose, but two different blade lengths. From what I understand, the usb plugs are made with the shorter blade length (for compatibility) and the receptacles on the plane are designed to accept the longer blade length. Thus the receptacle does not hold the plug as well.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
even better options as it can be used all around the world and has USB adapters for multiple devices and is inexpensive.

https://tinyurl.com/y6rksepd
I tried that before stumbling on the iPad charger solution and it did not work for me at all - it kept falling out. I think the issue is that it was too heavy. But I have one very similar.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
There are many cases where the quasi universal recepticals have mechanical issues. When I travel international I always have a few small adaptors to be safe.

Domestically I would never need a charge, so do not worry about that.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
I tried that before stumbling on the iPad charger solution and it did not work for me at all - it kept falling out. I think the issue is that it was too heavy. But I have one very similar.
hmm,,,, it does have the European plug built in which should function about the same. I have been using one for a few years
and never had a failure, but I usually carry two just in case.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by No_Name
Based on a tip from the forum, I've been using the UK adapter routinely on flights because the plug doesn't fall out.

The problem with the flat US-style plug is not just that wear-and-tear have made them loose, but two different blade lengths. From what I understand, the usb plugs are made with the shorter blade length (for compatibility) and the receptacles on the plane are designed to accept the longer blade length. Thus the receptacle does not hold the plug as well.
I bought one of those in a Wilko store in the UK for 6.0 GBP. It works great.

I also bought a two prong European USB charger that can charge two devices at once and also works great (I got this one in a cell phone store in Florence for 9.00 Euros).
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

US style 3-pronged/grounded plugs hold well, but for some reason it’s impossible to find a US 3-pronged to either 2 or 3 pronged adapter or even a 3-pronged USB charger. So I use a UK to US adapter when necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.