Wiki Posts
Search

Connection Time at BOS

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Connection Time at BOS

Hi folks,

I'm traveling to AMS via BOS on 2 separate Delta tickets with a checked bag. I'm pretty sure that I'll arrive and depart from terminal A. Question is will 50 mins be enough between schedule arrival and subsequent departure?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mc_smelligott
Hi folks,

I'm traveling to AMS via BOS on 2 separate Delta tickets with a checked bag. I'm pretty sure that I'll arrive and depart from terminal A. Question is will 50 mins be enough between schedule arrival and subsequent departure?
What time of year? 50 minutes can be close in winter when snow/ice are problems. Otherwise 50 minutes should be good.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Its late Oct
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Tight, especially if your first flight is delayed in any way. You really have less than 50 minutes, as the door will close prior to scheduled departure time.

I would try to find an earlier flight.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
50 minutes is enough time if your inbound is on-time, as the area DL uses at BOS isn't that big and DL will check the bag all way through on two separate tickets assuming both segments are operated by DL. The only problem is if your inbound is not on-time. I'm reasonably certain DL would put you on the next available BOS-AMS flight that has space, but I'm not reasonably certain they'd pay for a hotel in BOS even if the delay on the first flight is DL's fault.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
50 minutes is enough time if your inbound is on-time, as the area DL uses at BOS isn't that big and DL will check the bag all way through on two separate tickets assuming both segments are operated by DL. The only problem is if your inbound is not on-time. I'm reasonably certain DL would put you on the next available BOS-AMS flight that has space, but I'm not reasonably certain they'd pay for a hotel in BOS even if the delay on the first flight is DL's fault.
DL treats two separate DL tickets as one as long as MCT is met as if on one ticket. This includes providing hotels. The only thing they dont provide is EC261 600€ comp across tickets.
LoganFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The issue for you is the consequence of a no show on the AMS flight. Any reroute will either delay you by a day or be circuitous at best (and likely involve last minute seating which won't be the best).

Only you can judge the importance of being in AMS ontime, but you have to accept that a 20-30 minute delay on your inbound will likely result in missing the xBOS flight, just as it would if you were on a single ticket.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1P, MR PE ++++
And depending where you are sitting on the first plane can add up to another 20 minutes.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Theres three flights most days. Two on DL and one on KL BOS-AMS. 1635, 1845, and 2045 (on days KL operates)
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
It is a moderately risky connection. Any delay, including the infamous ramp cramp tarmac delay due to occupied gates or multiple pushbacks, will cause a missed connection. A large proportion of the afternoon arrivals use gates at the main terminal which adds an easy 10 minutes to the transfer.

I have been on many DL flights into Boston where several of my fellow passengers were obviously going to miss the connection to Europe. Assuming that your flight is the earlier DL flight, you will likely be accommodated on the later DL flight or even the KL flight. Worse case scenario, you'll be put on a connection via LHR or CDG.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
Where are you starting from? Any possible way to get to BOS earlier? Like others have said, 50 minutes is totally doable as long as your first flight is on time and you're not sitting in the last row of the flight to BOS. That said, it doesn't take much to throw it off. DL has two daily flights to AMS and KLM also flies it 3-4x a week. If you're the earliest flight and missed the connection, you would probably be able to get rebooked on the later DL or possible KLM flight, but you may get stuck in a middle seat if you're in Y. All things considered, I would try to get to BOS earlier.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
One other item to make sure of... that they tag your luggage through to AMS when you check in and drop it off at the origin airport. Since it is two DL tickets they should be able to do this and have the bag continue on to AMS.
If you have to go to baggage claim in BOS to get it and then re-check the bag, there is no way you'll make the baggage cutoff for the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.