Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta’s LGA Concourse and Terminal Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta’s LGA Concourse and Terminal Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta PM
Anyone have pics of the new SC?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: TrueBlue, Hyatt
How well marked is the road route to the departures drop-off at the new Terminal C? Need to drop someone there later this week (with a bag so trying to get to the main and not the side entrance)?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:04 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Intheair2night
How well marked is the road route to the departures drop-off at the new Terminal C? Need to drop someone there later this week (with a bag so trying to get to the main and not the side entrance)?
It is pretty straightforward, just keep to the right as you are on the final terminal approach road.
gnomie likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:34 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
How's the parking situation? Same C/D garage as before, correct? Guess now it's just connected to the terminal or do we still have to walk outside?
Flying out on Friday, haven't parked at terminal C/D in months. Last time I tried to the garage was full on a Friday afternoon and had to park at B.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by Crossinator
Anyone have pics of the new SC?
I only have the video:

Video - The New Sky Club LGA

Last edited by pigx5; Jun 7, 2022 at 9:34 pm
Old Jun 8, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: DL D, UA 1k, Mar T
Departed today versus sundays arrival. Terrific experience. The outer roadway carryon only is a home run. Escalator takes you straight into security bypassing headhouse. Genius. Stay left for old fashioned security belt. You’ll need clear to access it. The sky club is wonderful. Definitely the best Large sky club I’ve used in the system by far. Food choices for breakfast were great. Breakfast tacos on top of bagels and the usual. Full on view of full flight ops. Ginormous. Be sure to triple check your gate. The travel times from 90s to 60s are beyond terrible. Airport is super easy to navigate.
pigx5 and Ryno1234 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by JFKflyer26
Great job! Airport looks so impressive now!
Thank you!!
Both of the Sky Club and the new Terminal C are massive improvement!!
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:28 pm

Initial Thoughts

I flew out on Wednesday night. Definitely impressive and a huge improvement. There will still be some growing pains - but it's finishing a lot quicker than expected.

I took the Q70 bus from Jackson Heights and can confirm they are still stopping in the same place near the end of the old Terminal C closest to the 60s gates. It is labeled as a "Transit Center" and seems like an odd choice. Doesn't do much to encourage mass transit. For those who don't know, the Q70 is a good option to get to the city for those familiar with the subway. It's a good way to avoid messy traffic and taxi availability issues in the late afternoon. I'll blame the Port Authority for this mess... they seem to make many stupid decisions like this (as evidenced by what they did during the earlier construction). There are plenty of places closer to the new Terminal C where buses could stop. Nonetheless, if you are a brisk NY walker who doesn't mind the walk (like me), it's not bad.

Security took a lot longer, not necessarily because of crowds or staffing but because the TSA staff don't seem to be managing the new setup well. I was forced into one of the newer tray-based scanners. But there was a complete lack of trays so we just stood there waiting for more. I'm hoping this improves over the coming weeks. Whereas it used to take me < 5 minutes most to go through with Clear, it probably took 10 or so. Not overly bad, but I miss the old setup. I'm hoping they work out the kinks over the coming weeks.

The SkyClub is impressive as others have noted. It's big and the high ceilings help it seem even more spacious despite crowds. It was crowded (most likely due to numerous flight issues that evening) but there were still plenty of spots, especially if you looked back towards the "taco bar" area. I do wish they put more high top seating against the windows (mainly because that's my preferred seating/location). They did this on the western side. But the eastern side had a different setup. Maybe more will be added in the upcoming expansion. Food was definitely a step up. I enjoyed the black beans and rice! However, I found there were some awkward combinations. They had hummus, but no pita or veggies (other than "pickled carrots") to go with it. Hopefully they'll work things out over time. Also, I missed some of the standard options - brownies, cookies, etc. It seems like they tried a bit too hard and eliminated some of the basics. I found myself longing for some of the old staples (Wicked Thai soup?). Anyway, I am sure things will be adjusted over time. The Delta agent support seemed a little messy. They had a queuing system, but it didn't seem to be working. I tried signing up but was never "called". It seemed like most people were just walking up when someone was available. They have the fancier "sit down" setup. It might just be me, but I somewhat prefer the old line and standing desk. The sit down setup seems like it adds more inefficiency, especially in crunch time with lots of flight delays/cancellations. The former Terminal D club is still open and was relatively empty but still fully stocked with food and drink. If you don't want crowds and you are leaving out of the 70s gates, this is a good option.

The terminal itself is impressive, including the views. It leaves you wondering how the old terminal was sitting there for years hiding the prime views over the water. I found the view of Flushing Bay, Citi Field, and the Tennis Center complex walking towards the 90s gates (and temporary 80s entrance) especially nice. Add to that the great views of the tarmac/runway and bay (with bridges in the background) from the Sky Club. You also don't have the interruption of views by Riker's barbed wire from the Delta side of LGA.

The walks can be long although certainly not as bad as the far JFK Terminal 4 gates. I believe the 60s gates are the furthest and you have to walk through a very temporary looking hallway (more temporary looking than the 80s connector). It does seem like they have more staff on hand to provide passenger assistance/wheelchairs if needed. It seems like some of the temporary setups could become chokepoints at peak periods (i.e. the turnaround from the escalator to the 90s into the 80s connector) so it will be interesting to see how things go at busy times. The only way out of the older gate areas (60s and 80s) appears to be through the main terminal with the backtracking. Contrary to one of the other posts, it did not appear that you could leave the 60s gates directly to the "transit center".

Anyway, big improvement and definitely a "New LGA". And I'm sure security and some of the small issues will clear up over time.

Dave
ijgordon and Skyboy2006 like this.

Last edited by dave456; Jun 15, 2022 at 3:04 pm
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:08 am

I flew out of LGA last night and came in here this morning to write my experiences but dave456 pretty much covered it all. Here are some of my thoughts:

I also took the Q70 and it was a miserable experience. It drives past the new headway but doesn't stop there?? Makes us walk all the way from the old C terminal (which is now the "Transit Center") to the new building. Makes 0 sense. Plenty of space for drop-offs and pickups for ride shares though.

The new SkyPriority check-in area is pretty niche and cool. The security checkpoint area is massive and for me was very quick. No problems at precheck.
SC was absolutely packed at 5:30pm. Largest SC they've ever built? I don't think so. Food was great with tacos, chicken, green rice, chocolate croissants just to name a few. They have these new soda machines that are hard to use and makes a mess. Nice views of the tarmac though.

My gate was 79 which was a walk. Overall, just expect more walking everywhere than the old LGA. More escalators to ride also.

Last edited by Crossinator; Jun 10, 2022 at 1:15 pm
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had some exchanges with the MTA and Port Authority a handful of months ago about the terrible location of the bus stop for travelers going to Terminal D, they ultimately seemed to blame it on DL, the owner of the building. I sincerely hope they'll move the stop very soon closer to the main terminal entrance.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I had some exchanges with the MTA and Port Authority a handful of months ago about the terrible location of the bus stop for travelers going to Terminal D, they ultimately seemed to blame it on DL, the owner of the building. I sincerely hope they'll move the stop very soon closer to the main terminal entrance.
I think it is DL's doing too; when you get off the bus, all the vest-wearing employees directing people to walk to the new headway seemed to be DL employees
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Crossinator
I also took the Q70 and it was a miserable experience. It drives past the new headway but doesn't stop there?? Makes us walk all the way from the old C terminal (which is now the "Transit Center") to the new building. Makes 0 sense. Plenty of space for drop-offs and pickups for ride shares though.
Having used transit in several dozen cities, this is very typical in the US. Transit riders are considered 2nd class and transit centers are almost always located away from the entrance so as not to get in the way of the valuable customers arriving by car. I understand NYC is a bit better than most of the country, but still this isn't very surprising.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:58 pm

Looks like you guys were right. A recently--approved Environmental Assessment shows Concourse D will not be a new build--but rather a rehabilitated C-West. The interior will be renovated, exterior finishes will be updated to match the rest of the terminal. Ultimately not a bad outcome, as the ceilings in C west are much higher in places than the would-be Concourse D. The full EA can be found here: https://www.panynj.gov/port-authorit...s-reports.html

Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer
Having used transit in several dozen cities, this is very typical in the US. Transit riders are considered 2nd class and transit centers are almost always located away from the entrance so as not to get in the way of the valuable customers arriving by car. I understand NYC is a bit better than most of the country, but still this isn't very surprising.
Public Transit is one of the main things that NYC is known for, but the fact that public transit is extremely overlooked at all 3 NYC airports is such a shame.
ShopAround likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by BenyiC03
Looks like you guys were right. A recently--approved Environmental Assessment shows Concourse D will not be a new build--but rather a rehabilitated C-West. The interior will be renovated, exterior finishes will be updated to match the rest of the terminal. Ultimately not a bad outcome, as the ceilings in C west are much higher in places than the would-be Concourse D. The full EA can be found here: https://www.panynj.gov/port-authorit...s-reports.html

I still don’t understand why DL decided to close the SC in the old C West (60s Gates). Those are some of the furthest gates away from the new headhouse and LGA has historically had two LGA SCs since the DL-US slot swap back in 2012.
bgriff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.