Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F seats available - but not for sale?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by metallo
think your point of contention was whether the inventory would still be available for F/J purchases, and, while I agree it would seemingly make more sense to ensure both premium cabin and coach seats remain available for purchase, I said I've seen plenty of instances on those airlines where that has not been the case... in other words, they zero out F/J and rely on the prospect of the Y inventory being purchased.
Do you have any actual evidence that they are zeroing out F/J inventory even when F/J is still actually available? Keep in mind that - especially for international flights or for flights with heavy international connection volume - seat assignments are a very poor proxy of actual seat availability as a lot of marketed tickets have issues with automatic seat assignments.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 12:19 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Just curious - my question is more on Delta One Int'l service.

I noticed for my flight in a few days time, Premium Select inventory is all gone, but D1 still have 4 seats in the inventory. However these D1 seats are not open for sale - on DL website, both PS and D1 are reported as sold out.
However when checking for award seats, those 4 seats do come up as available.....so what's the deal here? Can I expect, if the situation stays the same to maybe have a chance of Op-Up from PS - small chance in my case as I am Plat with FB, although on a full fare PS ticket.

Cheers!
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

Just curious - my question is more on Delta One Int'l service.

I noticed for my flight in a few days time, Premium Select inventory is all gone, but D1 still have 4 seats in the inventory. However these D1 seats are not open for sale - on DL website, both PS and D1 are reported as sold out.
However when checking for award seats, those 4 seats do come up as available.....so what's the deal here? Can I expect, if the situation stays the same to maybe have a chance of Op-Up from PS - small chance in my case as I am Plat with FB, although on a full fare PS ticket.

Cheers!
Hard to say what could be happening, as it makes zero sense that they are offering 4 seats as awards, but not for paid tickets. Sounds more like some glitch.
Normally, 4 unsold business class seats on the seat map but a sold-out PE/Y, could mean that they are holding those seats for op-ups. However, (1) empty seats on the seat map don't correspond well to actual unsold seats, and (2) if it was the scenario described above, they're probably better off selling a last-minute business class fare and bumping someone in a lower cabin than doing the op-up, so usually they'll still allow the sale of business class (for cash).

What is the date/flight? Someone can try to look up actual availability on ExpertFlyer.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:08 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Indeed, I find the whole situation very odd. The flight in concern is DL119 CDG-LAX for 27 Oct.
On the DL website - both PS and D1 are stating Sold Out. What I can see is J3 C1 - availability (and PS all zeroed out). Even on the AF codeshare number, no J nor PS seats are available for sale.
Reward flights are still available - albeit for a ridiculous number of miles and surcharges.

Cheers!
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's a point of sale issue. With a US POS, inventory is J3 C1 D0. With a French POS, inventory is J0.

Manually forcing the point of sale on ITA will price DL119 as a one-way, and you can book it on dl.com as part of a trip originating in the US (I'm relatively new to DL so I'm guessing the website uses your origin country as a default POS).
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Indeed, I find the whole situation very odd. The flight in concern is DL119 CDG-LAX for 27 Oct.
On the DL website - both PS and D1 are stating Sold Out. What I can see is J3 C1 - availability (and PS all zeroed out). Even on the AF codeshare number, no J nor PS seats are available for sale.
Reward flights are still available - albeit for a ridiculous number of miles and surcharges.

Cheers!
I assume you're looking at EF for inventory. Note that the C bucket is normally a subset of J, so J3 C1 means three seats, not four. It's not additive.

There could be seats blocked for crew rest on this route. Also, I'm not sure whether DL blocks two PS seats for special needs passengers like they do in C+ (for aircraft with C+ seats).
Old Oct 23, 2019, 12:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I saw an interesting situation this past Saturday.
DL493 JFK-SDQ. Expertflyer was showing J3, seatmap had 2 empty seats, gate agent said only 1 seat available, gate displays showed 2 seats available. Eventually 2 upgrades cleared and even though the seatmap was full, EF showed J1 and delta.com was selling 1 seat. Fast forward to boarding, all 20 seats occupied, EF still showing J1 and Delta was still selling a seat. What would happen if someone had purchased that seat?

Last edited by SDQBound; Oct 23, 2019 at 12:35 pm
Old Oct 23, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
It's a point of sale issue. With a US POS, inventory is J3 C1 D0. With a French POS, inventory is J0.

Manually forcing the point of sale on ITA will price DL119 as a one-way, and you can book it on dl.com as part of a trip originating in the US (I'm relatively new to DL so I'm guessing the website uses your origin country as a default POS).
Yes, this seems to make sense, although I don't think ExpertFlyer lets you set POS for DL.
I am able to price LAX-CDG-LAX with a return on DL119 on the 27th (at the bargain price of $14k r/t).
I do see that while you can't book DL119 for cash originating in CDG, I guess award redemptions aren't subject to POS restrictions? That's available as an award for 230k miles + ~$300. Which *is* a relative bargain compared to the cash price on a r/t! (Similarly, I can price LAX-CDG-LAX at 640k miles + $127, which is actually a great redemption value of 2.2c/mile! )
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I guess award redemptions aren't subject to POS restrictions? That's available as an award for 230k miles + ~$300.
That or they always use the US POS, but award inventory is different than revenue anyway. And I suggest just looking with the POS set to France on EF
Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
That or they always use the US POS, but award inventory is different than revenue anyway. And I suggest just looking with the POS set to France on EF
Well I'd expect award inventory to be less than or equal to cash inventory, not more!

I don't think you can change POS for DL searches on EF, are you able to? The POS box disappears when I put DL in the airline field. I assume related to whatever special workaround they have for accessing DL information in the first place.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:28 am

Follow up question to this thread. I'm on a flight Saturday that shows 2 available FC seats on the upgrade/standby list, which seams to correspond to the 4 available seats shown on the seat map (via dummy booking since my seat map shows all seats blocked). When I called Delta to ask for a price to upgrade for me and my companion, I was told there is only 1 available FC seat left. Anyone know why the other seat would not show up as available for purchase?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by mkt80
I'm on a flight Saturday that shows 2 available FC seats on the upgrade/standby list
How are you getting the upgrade/standby list multiple days in advance of the departure?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by jjclancy
How are you getting the upgrade/standby list multiple days in advance of the departure?
On the app - I can't see the list, only number of seats available.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM
What shows available on the seat map does not reflect what is actually available for sale. Could be that someone did not get a seat assignment yet. Also, if you are traveling alone, the seat next to you is automatically blocked. Delta used to count each person in first as two passengers due to the seat next to them being blocked. Now, a couple traveling together counts as one person for seat blocking reasons. I have been number 1 for 0 seats for upgrade when I arrive at the airport and suddenly 4 people will get upgraded once Delta determines couples traveling together.
tardyturtle likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
What shows available on the seat map does not reflect what is actually available for sale. Could be that someone did not get a seat assignment yet. Also, if you are traveling alone, the seat next to you is automatically blocked. Delta used to count each person in first as two passengers due to the seat next to them being blocked. Now, a couple traveling together counts as one person for seat blocking reasons. I have been number 1 for 0 seats for upgrade when I arrive at the airport and suddenly 4 people will get upgraded once Delta determines couples traveling together.
On the app, when you click to see the upgrade list long before T-24, you can't see a list of names, etc., but the app will say "X seats available." This information is not the same as counting empty seats on the seat map, although sometimes it seems to be wrong (in terms of DL's seat blocking rules) when one looks at this number and the seat map. I commented on this in the big seat blocking thread in the context of a couple domestic flights in early January. In at least one case, it looked to me like the number of available FC seats did not deduct any for seat blocking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.