Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does DL Interline Bags to UX (AirEuropa)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere

Does DL Interline Bags to UX (AirEuropa). On an Award ticket JFK-MAD connecting to a Paid AirEuropa ticket MAD-SVQ.

Will DL interline or do we have to collect baggage at MAD and recheck with UX.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's not a connection with separate tickets.

IIRC DL only checks bags through on separate tickets if close partners are involved, so I would guess no, but of course YMMV. Bring printouts of both tickets and both itineraries when you check in and ask/hope for the best.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:35 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Does DL Interline Bags to UX (AirEuropa). On an Award ticket JFK-MAD connecting to a Paid AirEuropa ticket MAD-SVQ.

Will DL interline or do we have to collect baggage at MAD and recheck with UX.
Delta will not interline in this scenario. The full policy is here:
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Thanks. Our bags are carry on at JFK so we won't have to claim them at MAD. If we can check them at a transfer desk we will, otherwise gate check or at the check-in counter and then re-clear security.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks. Our bags are carry on at JFK so we won't have to claim them at MAD. If we can check them at a transfer desk we will, otherwise gate check or at the check-in counter and then re-clear security.
I'd be surprised if the airside transfer desk in a European airport can check bags and similarly it might not be easy to do a gate check, especially if you need to pay for the bags.

Check MAD terminal maps as you might be forced to go landside anyway to change from a DL TATL arrival to the UX domestic flight. You'll definitely do immigration/passport control at MAD.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Ask DL agent at checkin. Despite not being on the list, most will do it for you if they know how.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd be surprised if the airside transfer desk in a European airport can check bags and similarly it might not be easy to do a gate check, especially if you need to pay for the bags.

Check MAD terminal maps as you might be forced to go landside anyway to change from a DL TATL arrival to the UX domestic flight. You'll definitely do immigration/passport control at MAD.
We have free bags as Sky Team Elite + so no need to pay at a gate check.

There are many airports where an I-D connection, even on different airlines, doesn't require that you go landside. AMS for example.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: Hub Captive Club
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead...Does anyone have any recent experience with an interline bag from DL to UX (Air Europa)?

I feel like I've reached the end of the internet looking for a clear answer on if this works in 2022, and how reliable the transfer is? I'm on Delta ex-USA but then switch to a UX operated, AF codeshare @ BCN. I've seen reports where UX both does/does not take the bag. I'll have just under 2 hours between flights @ BCN so not a lot of wiggle room if everything isn't 'automatic' with the bag and also having to clear customs and potentially check back in with UX. I don't want to be stuck dealing with UX customer service if this goes sideways. Worst case would be getting to my final destination and finding out my bag was on the carousel 1 airport prior. Anyone out there done this in the last year or so?

Don't think it would matter but if you're wondering I made a mess of a Skymiles trip following multiple cancellations/reschedules to where I'm now on PNR#1 ATL-DCA then PNR#2 DCA-JFK-BCN-PMI...I'm willing to check/recheck at any point on the USA side if it helps as those are all longer layovers.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
There are many airports where an I-D connection, even on different airlines, doesn't require that you go landside. AMS for example.
Unfortunately, MAD isn't one of them. DL arrives into Terminal 1 and UX Schengen Zone flights leave from Terminal 2. There is no airside connection between the T1 arrivals area & any other terminal at MAD. Probably the best way to do this connection is to arrive at T1, go through customs & immigration, take the landside shuttle bus to T2, check your bag at a UX counter in T2, and then clear security there.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
OP's question about MAD was from 2019, and the most recent question is about BCN
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Oops. Well, for the BCN question, the OP should assume that DL will NOT interline bags to UX on separate tickets. The link from the 2019 post above is still accurate and kept up to date by DL:

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html
Old Feb 17, 2022, 6:50 pm

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by spin2nd
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead...Does anyone have any recent experience with an interline bag from DL to UX (Air Europa)?

I feel like I've reached the end of the internet looking for a clear answer on if this works in 2022, and how reliable the transfer is? I'm on Delta ex-USA but then switch to a UX operated, AF codeshare @ BCN. I've seen reports where UX both does/does not take the bag. I'll have just under 2 hours between flights @ BCN so not a lot of wiggle room if everything isn't 'automatic' with the bag and also having to clear customs and potentially check back in with UX. I don't want to be stuck dealing with UX customer service if this goes sideways. Worst case would be getting to my final destination and finding out my bag was on the carousel 1 airport prior. Anyone out there done this in the last year or so?

Don't think it would matter but if you're wondering I made a mess of a Skymiles trip following multiple cancellations/reschedules to where I'm now on PNR#1 ATL-DCA then PNR#2 DCA-JFK-BCN-PMI...I'm willing to check/recheck at any point on the USA side if it helps as those are all longer layovers.
you should be ok here as DL will see this as a DL -Dl transfer and at BCN it will be automated. You will technically go through immigration at BCN and customs at PMI as that is how it is done in Schengen zone
Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:54 pm

Programs: Hub Captive Club
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Oops. Well, for the BCN question, the OP should assume that DL will NOT interline bags to UX on separate tickets.
In this case it's all on one DL PNR. This ticket specifically is DCA-JFK-BCN-PMI

Originally Posted by kiwicanuck
you should be ok here as DL will see this as a DL -Dl transfer and at BCN it will be automated. You will technically go through immigration at BCN and customs at PMI as that is how it is done in Schengen zone
I feel better about it if it's truly an automated process at BCN. My concern comes not only from this thread...I've seen other data points on the web, reddit, etc. where UX seems to sometimes just not care that a bag is being transferred to them which is why I'm wondering if anyone has actually done this recently.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by spin2nd
In this case it's all on one DL PNR. This ticket specifically is DCA-JFK-BCN-PMI

I feel better about it if it's truly an automated process at BCN. My concern comes not only from this thread...I've seen other data points on the web, reddit, etc. where UX seems to sometimes just not care that a bag is being transferred to them which is why I'm wondering if anyone has actually done this recently.
Without knowing the specific articles, I'm betting you've missed/article left out some key details. Ie across separate tickets, was at an airport in country where must take bag through customs (ie flying ITI to MAD via JFK from Caribbean), etc...
Old May 31, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Ask DL agent at checkin. Despite not being on the list, most will do it for you if they know how.
Bumping this thread up again. Flying on a DL ticketed and operated flight JFK-MAD but then connecting on a MAD-IBZ UX operated and marketed flight with only 3hrs to spare. If there is some delay (like just yesterday) then I don't have enough time to recheck my bags.

If "most will do it if they know how" applies, any guidance on what to point to them or what to have with me (e.g., mobile boarding pass for next flight)? With newer agents you sometimes literally have to tell them what to do (which is fine/understandable if they're new).

As always - yes I am aware this is a risk I take by not booking 1 ticket but this was the only option to make a complicated itinerary work, so worst case I'm stuck in MAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.