Wiki Posts
Search

Mile purchase

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Mile purchase

Well with my knee issues and surgery scheduled for Oct 23...I doubt Ill be able to fly the 3k MQM miles I need for 2020 platinum prior to Dec 30th. Can the collective wisdom let me know how much I would expect to spend in Dec to buy my way to PM?

Way over on spend...dont need to worry about that.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a thread from about January where these offers were posted. DL uses personalized prices and the cost is higher for the same number of MQMs to be used for DM status compared to PM status, etc. They're certainly more expensive than plane tickets to earn the MQMs by flying.

In previous years IIRC for 3,000 MQMs you would need to buy 5,000 of them and the price for 10,000 was Not equal to twice the price for 5,000 (nonlinear pricing, so for some people it could make sense to buy more MQMs than needed in order to have more rollover). The purchase earns MQDs and IIRC RDMs in purchased with a Reserve card.

Could you perhaps get the MQMs from a DL AmEx credit card offer?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The thread for the Elevate Your Status program for last year is here -- 2018 Elevate Your Status is Live

Second post looks to be for someone buying back Plat status. MQM's are only offered in fixed increments (here are the first three for Plat from last year) --

1000 MQM's + 3 MQS + 999 MQD = $999
2500 MQM's + 6 MQS + 1299 MQD = $1299
5000 MQM's + 9 MQS + 1399 MQD = $1399

You could save your money and try this approach instead -- https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...my-status.html
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xliioper
The thread for the Elevate Your Status program for last year is here -- 2018 Elevate Your Status is Live

Second post looks to be for someone buying back Plat status --

1000 MQM's + 3 MQS + 999 MQD = $999
2500 MQM's + 6 MQS + 1299 MQD = $1299
5000 MQM's + 9 MQS + 1399 MQD = $1399

You could save your money and try this approach instead -- https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...my-status.html
Actually $1400 isn't a bad offer in such circumstances. I was vaguely remembering over $3000 for 10,000 MQMs to DM.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
obviously I don't really know how immobilized your leg will be post-ACL surgery, but an immediate BOS-MSP/MIA/MCO/TPA turnaround -- quite possibly on the same jet -- in paid F would net approx 3300 MQM for ~$850
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Thanks all.

It's not the immobilization, it's the swelling that is the killer. 3 out of my 4 main knee ligaments are torn, plus my femur is cracked. I'll be lucky if I can fly home for Christmas (a 90 minute flight) much less a 5 legged trip.

But I had not even thought about a credit card offer or request for an extension. Good ones! Except I already have a DL Platinum AMEX. Hmm....

Other option is I see how I feel in mid December, and bite a bullet to either pay up or do a MR.

Last edited by navi_jen; Sep 30, 2019 at 3:28 pm
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by navi_jen
Thanks all.

It's not the immobilization, it's the swelling that is the killer. 3 out of my 4 main knee ligaments are torn, plus my femur is cracked. I'll be lucky if I can fly home for Christmas (a 90 minute flight) much less a 5 legged trip.
yikes, no ... I meant an out-and-back to any one of those four destinations, all of which are ~1100 miles from BOS (2200 RT + 50% MQM bonus for paid F)

given that anatomical carnage, I probably wouldn't rush to do too much either :/
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:24 pm

Get a new DL Amex Platinum or Reserve card and the signup bonus should be good enough if you meet the minimum spend by 12/31.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by navi_jen
Thanks all.

But I had not even thought about a credit card offer or request for an extension. Good ones! Except I already have a DL Platinum AMEX. Hmm....

Other option is I see how I feel in mid December, and bite a bullet to either pay up or do a MR.
Assuming you haven't had it before, you can either upgrade to the Reserve card or just apply for the Reserve card and keep your DL Plat card. They're different and probably carry different welcome bonus terms.

You might also be able to get the business version of either Plat or Reserve, again assuming that you haven't ever had the card in the past.

I'd be reluctant to do the exception request based on your injuries in case you need it more in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.