Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Amex Delta Changes & New Benefit Changes.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Delta Changes & New Benefit Changes.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
The non-posting of the RDMs is actually now annoying. If you wanted to use them, they aren’t there. And if you were say — like me — in the midst of dropping both platinum AMEXes because the Reserve is now “enough” you have to wonder if that’s safe. (I already converted one to Reserve and am hoping Delta/AMEX doesn’t make this into a drawn out battle.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by badgerchemist
Any spend on the Platinum card since Jan 1st will NOT transfer to the new Reserve card for spending bonus purposes, but it should still count towards MQD-waiver and any miles earned from it will remain in your skymiles account.
Are you sure of this? The spend over $50K on the Delta AmEx Plat now no longer transfers over to the Delta AmEx Reserve (towards the first $30K). Do you have a reference for this?
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
now that the changes are in place, im curious about the centurion access. I recall when the changes were announced, the terms stated that you had to be traveling on a same-day DL flight purchased on the reserve card. I think the terms were later updated to say that the ticket could be purchased on any us-issued amex card. just curious how this is working in actual practice
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Are you sure of this? The spend over $50K on the Delta AmEx Plat now no longer transfers over to the Delta AmEx Reserve (towards the first $30K). Do you have a reference for this?
badgerchemist was talking about what happens if you apply for a brand new Reserve card, in order to get a sign up bonus. In that case, the prior spend will not transfer over (and never has AFAIK).
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by gooselee
badgerchemist was talking about what happens if you apply for a brand new Reserve card, in order to get a sign up bonus. In that case, the prior spend will not transfer over (and never has AFAIK).
Ah whew OK, I thought that something had changed that would change the spend >$50K on DL Plat and then upgrade to DL Reserve yearly strategy. Thanks for the clarification!
Old Feb 1, 2020, 6:27 am

Can I give someone else my Sky Club guest passes? Just like the way I can give the drink coupons via screenshot from the app?
Old Feb 1, 2020, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Ah whew OK, I thought that something had changed that would change the spend >$50K on DL Plat and then upgrade to DL Reserve yearly strategy. Thanks for the clarification!
Why not just keep it as a reserve the entire year now that we get 4 boosts if you have that kind of spend or are you going for four boosts on the platinum and then upgrading to reserve for four more boosts?

I used to have a plat on both cards and then get the $50K spend and then upgrade and get the $60K spend. Was a little bit of a pain because I would keep one card a reserve for skyclub access until I could get the spend in on the Platinum and then upgrade that and downgrade the reserve and have to upgrade it again. With the four boosts I'm just keeping both my delta cards as reserve and will get 120K MQMs this way and not have to worry about the companion ticket getting messed up.

One nice thing about the four boosts is that I can start using more RDM's since I don't have to worry about getting enough MQM's in.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Auston
Can I give someone else my Sky Club guest passes? Just like the way I can give the drink coupons via screenshot from the app?
I doubt anyone has tried yet, but I'd be interested do know this as well.

If the T&Cs are strictly enforced then the answer would be no, as they pretty clearly state that the Reserve cardholder must enter the club at the same time as the guest.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
One nice thing about the four boosts is that I can start using more RDM's since I don't have to worry about getting enough MQM's in.
That works for people that can easily hit $15k MQD
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:30 pm

Why not just keep it as a reserve the entire year now that we get 4 boosts if you have that kind of spend or are you going for four boosts on the platinum and then upgrading to reserve for four more boosts?
Reserve has much smaller earnings. 50% less. Platinum you get 1.5 miles per $ (for >$5000 purchases, so naturally don't put any purchases smaller than that on the card). Reserve you get only 1 mile per $. Talking about the business cards here, not personal.

This basically makes the Reserve card one to avoid. (Even Plat with 1.5 miles per $ is really mediocre and worth far less than 3% and 2.5% cashback cards, given the low value of DL miles, and now the loss of the miles boost - bonus miles on the spend thresholds.)

The only thing that makes sense now is to put $89,999 on Platinum card. Wait for its 2 x 10K MQMs to post. Once so, upgrade to Reserve, put $1 spend, and get the 15K MQM to post. Then downgrade back and done.
rogo and josephstern like this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 7:57 pm

It would be great if they had a tracker showing total spend towards the $250K on their homepage between all Delta Am Ex accounts.
Agree that would be a great feature, and advocate more transparency in general (including tracking promotional spend, like Chase does). But it pains me to think anyone would put $250k in spend on Delta AmEx cards. If you need to manufacture the MQM and spend ($250k split between Personal and Business Reserve would be 120,000 MQM and Diamond spend waiver), Diamond can't possibly be worth the cost of forgoing far better opportunities to earn more, and more valuable, points (e.g., 500,000 TY points or 325,000 UR points--both on zero annual fee cards). Just my two cents. I have the DL Reserve card and like it, but not for the spend waiver.
RealHJ, volabam and Adelphos like this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by JFKLAX321
Agree that would be a great feature, and advocate more transparency in general (including tracking promotional spend, like Chase does). But it pains me to think anyone would put $250k in spend on Delta AmEx cards. If you need to manufacture the MQM and spend ($250k split between Personal and Business Reserve would be 120,000 MQM and Diamond spend waiver), Diamond can't possibly be worth the cost of forgoing far better opportunities to earn more, and more valuable, points (e.g., 500,000 TY points or 325,000 UR points--both on zero annual fee cards). Just my two cents. I have the DL Reserve card and like it, but not for the spend waiver.
...or simply get 3% on $250K spend, i.e. $7500, that is worth more than the TY or UR points anyhow (and far more than 250K DL miles, esp with the greatly reduced earnings now*).

*DL Reserve, with MilesBoost, up to $60K, used to be 1.5 miles/$ spent, if get it exactly at the right levels. DL Platinum used to be 1.4x miles/$ spent, up to $50K, if again get it right exactly. Now the personal cards are down to 1.0 only, and only the business DL Plat is 1.5, for the first $100K yearly spend (but then lesser MQMs, so really shouldn't go past $50K/yr).

AmEx has significantly devalued the cards, while DL keeps devaluing the SlyMiles program. There's only a few edge cases where it may make sense for some specific scenarios, but really that's it. Mostly it's just if one needs something between 10K and 50K MQMs that makes sense, and then have to manage it really well to get the least-worst value. No other real value to the cards (that other far better and more versatile cards don't do better, that is).
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:39 pm

...or simply get 3% on $250K spend, i.e. $7500, that is worth more than the TY or UR points anyhow (and far more than 250K DL miles, esp with the greatly reduced earnings now*).
My example assumed all spend in non-bonus categories like dining, travel, etc. I'm unaware of cards offering 3% back on everyday spend. But your point is well taken. The card is worth it to me -- even if I don't spend a cent on it -- as an upgrade tie-breaker and for the companion ticket, which I get more than $550 in value from. I suspect it may also be worth it for a mileage boost this year on the way to Diamond (unless my work travel continues at its current pace, in which case I'll be Diamond by May but will not be particularly happy about it). But some people probably don't need (or care about) the tie-breaker, and even more probably wouldn't find $550 in value from the companion certificate. Hence this thread, I suppose. At least it is easy to cancel or downgrade, and with the no fee Blue DL card still around, you don't have to close your account if you don't want to.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:16 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

AmEx has significantly devalued the cards, while DL keeps devaluing the SlyMiles program.
The issue is that American Airlines and United have also both devalued their programs significantly - I would argue that those two companies have been far worse in terms of devaluations the past 12-18 months than Delta (Delta devalued years ago). For those that must travel for work, Delta seems to be a strong option - and I would rather travel on Delta as a Gold or Platinum than with no status. So the cards still retain value for gaining status.

Over the last year, I have redeemed more Skymiles than any other currency (airline miles, points, transferable currency) for flash sales and mileage upgrades. It is a useful currency for me
rogo and gooselee like this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by Adelphos
The issue is that American Airlines and United have also both devalued their programs significantly - I would argue that those two companies have been far worse in terms of devaluations the past 12-18 months than Delta (Delta devalued years ago). For those that must travel for work, Delta seems to be a strong option - and I would rather travel on Delta as a Gold or Platinum than with no status. So the cards still retain value for gaining status.

Over the last year, I have redeemed more Skymiles than any other currency (airline miles, points, transferable currency) for flash sales and mileage upgrades. It is a useful currency for me
Yes, I'm consistently finding I can average 1.4 cents per SkyMile or better.

Even manufacturing the full $250K and getting just the 250K SkyMiles, I can reasonably feel good about that having $3500 in value against the $5000 opportunity cost (2% cashback). The $1500 gap is pretty arguably covered by 120K MQMs and the rest of the gap between Diamond and Platinum (4 GUCs worth $500 ea (?), 25,000 Skymiles x 2 worth $700). If you value MQMs above $0 you're still doing OK.

I'm intrigued by the Biz Plat being thrown into the mix to better these numbers a bit. I was going to just do 2 x Reserve, but maybe it's worth thinking twice about that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.