Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

PSA- DO NOT go to the bathroom on an active runway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PSA- DO NOT go to the bathroom on an active runway

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by azepine00
That would be in IDB claim in one case and sone sort of harassment complaint in the other.

Ppl dont go to lavs to annoy pilots and fellow pax and many have medical conditions too. Considering habits of some pilots to keep seat belt light on for hours i am not surprised things like this happen. Any fa attempt to shame pax should land them in appropriate training.
No, it would not be an IDB claim. Read the DOT rule first.

It was an entirely appropriate action. If one is incontinent to the extent that one cannot safely remain in a seat during the limited time period in question, one is a risk to oneself, other passengers, and crew.

The same goes for other examples where a boarding pax tells a FA they may need to access the lav during certain operations. Best response is to offload the passenger.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:09 am
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ekozie
Folks, trying not to be too pedantic but these lav visits are occurring on active taxiways, not active runways.
Wrong...the guy got up as we were turning onto an active runway
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
It doesn’t help that ATL is down a runway due to construction or something right now. We spent an extra half hour last night in a traffic jam on the ground and someone causing a further delay would not be treated kindly by fellow passengers
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:55 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
All of these people shaming the passenger who had to use the restroom, what do you suggest he/she do? There was no malicious intent (I’m assuming). Sometimes things happen and you just have to go! It’s not a medical condition to have to quickly go!
Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:27 am
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackvogt
All of these people shaming the passenger who had to use the restroom, what do you suggest he/she do? There was no malicious intent (I’m assuming). Sometimes things happen and you just have to go! It’s not a medical condition to have to quickly go!
You notify the crew before boarding or while boarding that you have a medical condition. They will take appropriate actions if needed. They will inform you that using the bathroom on an active taxiway or runway is not allowed and should be handled before push off.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:17 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by SSF556
You notify the crew before boarding or while boarding that you have a medical condition. They will take appropriate actions if needed. They will inform you that using the bathroom on an active taxiway or runway is not allowed and should be handled before push off.
Last I checked food poisoning is not a medical condition. It just comes up and the few times I've experienced that, I doubt I would've been able to notify the crew upon boarding. It just hits you. All my point is, lets just try and be understanding of people. You still got where you wanted to go, only had a slight delay. I don't think the person was trying to be rude. Stuff happens...
emrdoc likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355
While it's not ideal to be using the bathroom during taxi/takeoff/landing, it's fine. Trust me. There is literally no data to back up the theory that bathroom use during this time is dangerous. It happens all the time and you don't hear about it mostly because the FAs don't bother calling it into the cockpit.
Well, you DO hear about it when the airplane had to divert because a passenger was stuck in the lavatory!
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/u...rnd/index.html
No reports of injury on landing.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:42 am

On several recent flights with Lufthansa, they were were quite proactive in announcing during the decent that there was another 10-15 minutes available to use the lavatory, or you'll have to wait till on the ground.
I understand that occasionally stuff happens, food poisoning, etc. But this shouldn't happen often. Really, if you're getting "food poisoning" more than once every couple of years (and why would this be coincidentally when you're on a plane very often?), maybe you should talk with a doctor... Food safety standards, especially in US airports, it's that bad.
Medical issues certainly exist, but if you can't control that for 30 minutes, is getting on a plane really a good idea?
I see this mostly as people who can't "go before then leave", and plan ahead for bodily functions. Especially with the number of times I've seen people get on the plane, get to their seat, place their baggage overhead, etc, and then head for the lavatory before the plane is even done boarding!!! Obviously chose to stand around and crowd the gate area while boarding rather than use the facilities at the airport before boarding.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I will not go into details for the sake of gentle male ears here, but there are some women whose monthlies can have a few days in them when there is not much warning that a containment failure is imminent.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by kate lied
After about 15 more minutes, pilot announced that we were no. 2 in line for take-off . Suddenly, about 6 gentlemen scattered around the cabin decided they needed to go.
The "no. 2" part of the pilot's announcement may have something to do with those people needing to go

Originally Posted by cplunk
I see this mostly as people who can't "go before then leave", and plan ahead for bodily functions. Especially with the number of times I've seen people get on the plane, get to their seat, place their baggage overhead, etc, and then head for the lavatory before the plane is even done boarding!!! Obviously chose to stand around and crowd the gate area while boarding rather than use the facilities at the airport before boarding.
Maybe they had a tight connection, or got stuck in a long security line, and had no time to visit the restroom before boarding, especially if there is a line at the restroom
Old Sep 26, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Austin787
The "no. 2" part of the pilot's announcement may have something to do with those people needing to go

Maybe they had a tight connection, or got stuck in a long security line, and had no time to visit the restroom before boarding, especially if there is a line at the restroom
Come on now - if people assumed the best of intentions, the post count on FT would drop dramatically.

How can I possibly feel superior to other people if I'm empathetic?
wrp96 and emrdoc like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
I don't know why it's so hard. if the seatbelt sign is on, your ... is in the seat. that's it.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
Exactly.

While it's not ideal to be using the bathroom during taxi/takeoff/landing, it's fine. Trust me. There is literally no data to back up the theory that bathroom use during this time is dangerous. It happens all the time and you don't hear about it mostly because the FAs don't bother calling it into the cockpit.

OP's real beef is not with the bathroom-using passenger (who deserves sympathy, not beef). OP's beef is with the FA and/or pilot who was playing it by-the-book in a manner that was practically unnecessary and caused a delay/inconvenience to the whole plane.

I’m sorry, What? FAs are required to inform the Flight Deck and the flight deck is required to stop the plane during taxi. It isn’t a grey area. FAs and pilots can, and have, received infractions for ignoring surface movement rules.

And passengers have injured themselves, and others, by getting up during taxi/takeoff/landing. Flight attendants themselves have been injured as well. It’s not “fine” to be up.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by gitismatt
I don't know why it's so hard. if the seatbelt sign is on, your ... is in the seat. that's it.
This is just unrealistic, at least given the way US airlines handle the seatbelt sign. I flew IAH-SAT on UA a week ago. We boarded on time but had to wait 30 minutes for pilots to show up and complete checks. Then we had a 47 minute wait to take off. We reached cruising altitude, and the pilots made an announcement that they were leaving the seatbelt sign on since we'd been descending soon. At this point, most pax had been onboard for 2 hours with the seatbelt sign on the entire time. Several of us got up to use the lav anyway. OTOH, IME EU airlines turn off the seatbelt sign as they ascend through 10k feet and only turn it back on for extreme turbulence and final descent.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mattp1987
This is just unrealistic, at least given the way US airlines handle the seatbelt sign. I flew IAH-SAT on UA a week ago. We boarded on time but had to wait 30 minutes for pilots to show up and complete checks. Then we had a 47 minute wait to take off. We reached cruising altitude, and the pilots made an announcement that they were leaving the seatbelt sign on since we'd been descending soon. At this point, most pax had been onboard for 2 hours with the seatbelt sign on the entire time. Several of us got up to use the lav anyway. OTOH, IME EU airlines turn off the seatbelt sign as they ascend through 10k feet and only turn it back on for extreme turbulence and final descent.
I like way no-US airlines do it. You know if the belt light is on that there's a reason. In fact number of airlines the crew even sits and buckles up. US airlines it's on so much you finally just ignore it.
Loren Pechtel and HDQDD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.