Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What can be done to discipline Delta's ATL monopoly and increase competition?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What can be done to discipline Delta's ATL monopoly and increase competition?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
I gave up halfway through reading this. So I'll just say that as a lifelong Atlanta resident, I find that DL airfare is generally quite reasonable and their impact on both ATL and the city has been net positive.

DL is actually the cheapest option for the majority of flights I book. Sometimes there is a $20-$50 premium and frankly I'm okay with that given a) nonstop route and b) schedule frequency to get me home in IRROP. It's an objectively superior product by those measures if you live in ATL.

And yes, sometimes DL is more expensive to an extent it is NOT worth it, and at thay point I hop on UA or AA or WN. All in all, DL's dominance here is not the ongoing nightmare OP makes it out to be, and in fact is generally a positive effect even when flying other airlines from ATL.
My objection is Delta's active participation in trying to harm competition in Atlanta. They are very much against a second airport and always issue the boiler plate reasoning of "we welcome competition at Hartsfield". But they don't. They want exclusive rights to as many existing and any proposed new gates at ATL. Delta has it very good at their largest hubs of ATL, MSP, DTW, and SLC. UA and AA don't have anywhere near that kind of lock on the market at their largest hubs. All UA has to themselves is SFO but still face competition from others at OAK, SJC, and SMF.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
IBTL...
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:45 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Hi Folks,

We have had a spirited discussion here, but sadly its time to close this one down.

Thanks,
Ryandc99, Moderator Delta Air Lines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.