Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What can be done to discipline Delta's ATL monopoly and increase competition?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What can be done to discipline Delta's ATL monopoly and increase competition?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:33 am

"Atlanta has the highest airfares. Nobody has higher airfares. Believe me."
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta, Chase UR, Hyatt
It seems that the OP is arguing against the entire premise of hub-and-spoke networks...
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I think you need to be careful what you wish for.

For all the complaining about DL's fortress hub status, think about the economic impact that DL has in the Atlanta area because they have a fortress hub that results in air traffic that is far and above what the market would support based on O&D traffic alone, or even if it were a smaller hub. DL provides tens of thousands of jobs in the Atlanta region and for every three jobs at Dl there is another job in the community that is created.
Good point. Also, business travelers in the ATL area have access to far more nonstop service, domestic and international, than they otherwise would have. That can be really important for business travelers (and a nice convenience for leisure travelers). It's a mixed bag when your home airport is a fortress hub.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
Good point. Also, business travelers in the ATL area have access to far more nonstop service, domestic and international, than they otherwise would have. That can be really important for business travelers (and a nice convenience for leisure travelers). It's a mixed bag when your home airport is a fortress hub.
I mean who didn't like having to double connect on 3 airlines to go from BUF to SAN 30 years ago...I mean checking your bag was free at least...assuming it got there.

Originally Posted by ajl1239
Consolidation has been a tragedy for U.S. passengers
Consolidation has become a tragedy for upgrade percentages and some international business class FF tickets...things that affect less than 1% of the population of the US and less than 25% of fliers. I mean sure I might have had a little more legroom in the past, but I now have the choice of hundreds of movies that I can watch at my seat, not struggling to see the overhead monitor or worse the one large screen on the bulkhead. And better make sure you remember your paper tickets instead of having an app on my phone that I can even check and change my seat assignment on. Oh also I can fly halfway across the world non-stop instead of having to have tech-stops along the way.

All while adjusted for inflation tickets are the same or lower than they've ever been. The pre-consolidation business model was not sustainable and would have likely lead to the collapse of the us airline industry.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
We have something of a sweet spot here near SFO. United has ~40% market share, so that means very good nonstop service, but there is still enough competition to keep prices in check. Now if we could just do something about fog and low clouds.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:18 am
Original Poster

It seems that the OP is arguing against the entire premise of hub-and-spoke networks...

It's worth considering whether this is something public policy should try to end...
Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
It's worth considering whether this is something public policy should try to end...
Why? Hubs work and are efficient. Much better than the days of the government paying airlines to fly empty planes from Chicago to Elko, NV.
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by beachmouse
As someone who lives in the boonies, I'd call the results of consolidation mixed- while prices are a little higher than in a Legacy Six environment, I actually get a significantly better route network with more single connection options.
Competition is definitely less, especially in smaller markets. My local airport (DAY) went from 7 carriers preconsolidation to 3 now (4 if you count G4's sometimes service).
Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, who likes to have to choose from so many frequent daily departures with only one stop to get to their destination.

Have you seen pre-hub-and-spoke timetables with their limited flight schedule options?

If not, poke around some of the pre-deregulation (1978) timetables here.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Gold
In cities like Dallas, Charlotte, and Atlanta, there are literally NOT "plenty to choose from."
There is plenty to choose from. When I lived in a AA fortress hub and got sick of AA I was able to fly on WN and UA with no problem.
HDQDD likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
We have something of a sweet spot here near SFO. United has ~40% market share, so that means very good nonstop service, but there is still enough competition to keep prices in check. Now if we could just do something about fog and low clouds.
This underscores why additional competition in ATL wouldn't have a meaningful effect on prices. SFO and ATL have exactly the same average domestic airfare ($380.41 in Q1 2019), and yet United has only half the marketshare at SFO that Delta has at ATL. Not to mention the fact that the Bay Area also has OAK and SJC as options!

Most business travelers out of SF are going to be loyal to United because it offers nonstop service to the most destinations (110 on UA vs. 30 on AS) and are largely price-insensitive. In addition, a lot of the smaller and regional airports that United serves from SFO couldn't be served profitably with competition.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: Delta, Chase UR, Hyatt
No, this is not worth considering. Hub and spoke networks efficiently transport passengers, especially when the number of flights from a given carrier grows (Southwest's network changed from a point-to-point to a hub-and-spoke system as it grew, for example). Your proposal would lead to higher fares and many small regional airports losing commercial flights.
SJC ORD LDR and HDQDD like this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Duke787
I wish you luck on your endeavors.

The airlines are a very comfortable (and government sanctioned with all the M&A rubber stamps) oligopoly -- none of them have an incentive to go after DL at ATL just as you don't see DL going after IAH (UA) / DFW (AA)
What’s worse this or subsidies the CEO whines about?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by free_whine
No, this is not worth considering. Hub and spoke networks efficiently transport passengers, especially when the number of flights from a given carrier grows (Southwest's network changed from a point-to-point to a hub-and-spoke system as it grew, for example). Your proposal would lead to higher fares and many small regional airports losing commercial flights.
Southwest has somewhat of a hub-and-spoke model, but it is still largely focused on O&D traffic and their business model is significantly different than the legacy model. For the most part, non-stop flights are generally cheaper than connecting options on WN. This is the opposite of the legacy model where they generally charge more for non-stop's due to convenience and back-fill remaining seats with connecting pax on cheaper fares who value price over timeliness. The ULCC's are obviously more true O&D business models with very limited connecting traffic. I can see room for both legacy hub-and-spoke and LCC/ULCC models to exist and do not think "public policy" should be picking winners and losers.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To answer the question in the thread title, I hope that NOTHING can be done to......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.