Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

D1 to ATH then TK on to IST, etc ... ATH lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz

I fly D1 to ATH then economy TK on to IST.

After returning to ATH, I fly OA economy over to CHQ.

Once back at ATH again, it is AF biz to CDG then D1 back to USA.

There are two PP international lounges in both Halls A & B. Is one better than another? I think TK ATH-IST uses Hall A.

What lounge is available when I do ATH-CHQ on OA?

What kind of lounge does AF use for a flight that departs at 6:10 am?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Swissport lounge for the International flights I believe

I did have access to another lounge while flying within Greece. Neither is spectacular and you can flip a coin as far as I’m concerned
reimero and mattya9 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
In ATH I’ve used the Goldair lounge in hall B (which I believe ST carriers contract with) and found it just okay. Not terrible but not worth showing up at the airport early for. The most substantial food choices were cold sandwich triangles. Good self serve drink selection and decent apron views.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

When I reach ATH the first time, I will have flown 23 hours and face a 3 hr layover before going on to IST. Comfort and a few bites of something decent would be appreciated.

I found a positive review of Goldair lounge in Hall A that said it was new in 2018.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Xeno
When I reach ATH the first time, I will have flown 23 hours and face a 3 hr layover before going on to IST. Comfort and a few bites of something decent would be appreciated.

I found a positive review of Goldair lounge in Hall A that said it was new in 2018.
What route and connections do you have than requires 23 hours to get to ATH?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What route and connections do you have than requires 23 hours to get to ATH?
Last time I flew to ATH, the only DL connection was through JFK, and that was at something like 5PM. They may have added a second flight, also through JFK, and probably an hour or so later (I vaguely recall 2 return flights from ATH -> JFK roughly an hour apart.) Last time I made the trip, I had an early flight to DTW (because my home airport has no direct flights to JFK), a short (1 hour) layover at DTW and a long (5+ hour) layover at JFK (just how it panned out due to flight schedules, pricing, etc.) That's not how it actually played out - not even remotely close - but that was the original schedule. Had we kept to that original schedule it would have taken us about 20 hours to get to ATH. So I'll buy 23 hours in transit.

Also, the SwissPort lounge is right next to the DL gate at ATH. It's... an OK lounge.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reimero
Last time I flew to ATH, the only DL connection was through JFK, and that was at something like 5PM. They may have added a second flight, also through JFK, and probably an hour or so later (I vaguely recall 2 return flights from ATH -> JFK roughly an hour apart.) Last time I made the trip, I had an early flight to DTW (because my home airport has no direct flights to JFK), a short (1 hour) layover at DTW and a long (5+ hour) layover at JFK (just how it panned out due to flight schedules, pricing, etc.) That's not how it actually played out - not even remotely close - but that was the original schedule. Had we kept to that original schedule it would have taken us about 20 hours to get to ATH. So I'll buy 23 hours in transit.

Also, the SwissPort lounge is right next to the DL gate at ATH. It's... an OK lounge.
Right. OKC atl jfk ath with layovers
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
I did CMH-ATL-FCO-ATH last month for a low D1 price. Worst part was the layover at FCO. It was a hot day and the typical European air conditioning could not keep up inside
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

I am just reporting an update.
The Goldair lounge in A that I used when flying to IST was ok.
Yesterday, I went to the Goldair lounge in B prior to flying to CHQ. They were not taking in anyone who uses PP. I have increasingly run into this and wonder what to do about it. In this case, however, they got me into the Aegean lounge next door.
When I go on to CDG, I expect to use the SwissPort lounge in ATHs (prior to departure) but my expectations are not terribly high at this point.

Last edited by Xeno; Sep 23, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
HUH? Why Swissport when your DL DM status (GM+) on an international SkyTeam itinerary enables you to use all partner lounges along the way (for which you can get to the door, so Schengen/nonSchengen can make a difference, and excluding arrivals lounges) such as AF at CDG. Moreover you seem to have a SkyTeam business class ticket which should be good not only for the SkyTeam partner operated lounges but also for contract lounges in some airports.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

I amended my wording as I meant to point to the ATH departure lounge which for SkyTeam is SwissPort.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

According to two third party apps (Flighty, App In the Air), my flight tomorrow ATH-CDG (DL 8640, departs 6:10 am) is leaving from B13. That is the domestic hall (A is international) so what does one do for a lounge in B when flying biz on this route?

https://www.skyteam.com/en/lounges/l...0Venizelos(ATH)

According to that page there are 2 options in B but not clear if AF biz qualifies. Goldair did not look so good so what is Melina Merkouri like?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno
According to two third party apps (Flighty, App In the Air), my flight tomorrow ATH-CDG (DL 8640, departs 6:10 am) is leaving from B13. That is the domestic hall (A is international) so what does one do for a lounge in B when flying biz on this route?

https://www.skyteam.com/en/lounges/l...0Venizelos(ATH)

According to that page there are 2 options in B but not clear if AF biz qualifies. Goldair did not look so good so what is Melina Merkouri like?
It's a Schengen flight which is almost the same as domestic.

However, as the flight is operated by AF, you should look at AF's information about (contract) lounges at ATH.
Xeno likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.