Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead F bin on MD88 bulkhead

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Overhead F bin on MD88 bulkhead

Only row 1 is available and I will need to park a small roll aboard on this MD88. Would you choose AB or CD? I know one side normally has equipment but don’t remember which..
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:04 pm

You can put your bag anywhere regardless of which seat you're assigned, so just pick the side you normally would.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

I do know that, but due to a tight connection, it’s likely I will be boarding late.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:28 pm

Pax normally put their bags wherever there is space. Especially given that you are boarding late, regardless of what seat assignment you have, you will find you will have to find a spot wherever there is space. If you are bulkhead, and the bag is small enough, the FA may be able to fit it in the closet if there is no bin space left.
mot29 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are boarding late, F may well have boarded full or close to by the time you board. Therefore, don't plan on there being space over your seat. Simply place your bag wherever you can find space for it. Hopefully somewhere in F.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate all the replies and I guess I should have stated upfront that I am very familiar with the protocol. I never check bags and never had a problem stowing one. I also never choose the bulkhead.

So to rephrase my question, does anyone know which bin normally has the emergency kit and/or crew bags? TIA
Old Sep 11, 2019, 4:56 pm

On my MD-90 flight the other day the equipment was over 1B
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
I honestly don’t know if this will help as I can’t remember the last time I was on an MD88 that had emergency equipment in the F bulkhead row, but I want to say it was on the right side as you board, left as you sit facing forward.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver Premier, IHG Platinum
I think also the CD side of the place have shorter, less depth bins. Rollers have to go in sideways.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Marylou
I appreciate all the replies and I guess I should have stated upfront that I am very familiar with the protocol. I never check bags and never had a problem stowing one. I also never choose the bulkhead.

So to rephrase my question, does anyone know which bin normally has the emergency kit and/or crew bags? TIA
TL,DR version. I have had to gate check a bag even when in F on and MD 88.

As an FYI I have had to gate check my bag when in F on and MD-88 in the past on a couple of occasions. Both were tight connection and one of the last to board. Closet was stuffed and not a space in the entire plane. Both times F was chock full of back packs that could have easily fit under the seat (no way all were from the bulkhead) but none were volunteering to move them.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by aolj
I think also the CD side of the place have shorter, less depth bins. Rollers have to go in sideways.
That's correct on the MD88, but it's the opposite on the 90 and 717 (does anyone know why they're not consistent?)
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
I mostly fly the Md88/90s, about 100 segments a year on them my preferred seat is 1C. I have never had to gate check a bag, even when running late. The FAs have always let me put my roll aboard in the closet, and I can usually find room for my computer bag somewhere in first
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
That's correct on the MD88, but it's the opposite on the 90 and 717 (does anyone know why they're not consistent?)
It’s because the MD-88 was designed with a rear galley at door 2L, hence the 3-2 seating. About 7-8 years ago, DL did a mod and took out the galley and replaced it with more seats.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Singleflyer
I mostly fly the Md88/90s, about 100 segments a year on them my preferred seat is 1C. I have never had to gate check a bag, even when running late. The FAs have always let me put my roll aboard in the closet, and I can usually find room for my computer bag somewhere in first
I am very jealous!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.