Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Platinum Medallion Award Redeposit Fee Waiver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2019, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

I'm currently a Gold Medallion but expect to reach Platinum Medallion status by the end of the year. I'm looking at booking award travel for next year and wan't to make sure that I will be able to take advantage of the award travel redeposit waiver available to PMs. I called to make sure that I would be able to do so and they said that if the booking date is before I actually achieve PM status that I would still have to pay the fee. I can't find this in the Skymiles program T&C anywhere and don't see why the booking date would matter, assuming the date I request the Skymiles redeposit is after I become PM. Does anyone have experience with this or able to provide any guidance?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by jc1194
I'm currently a Gold Medallion but expect to reach Platinum Medallion status by the end of the year. I'm looking at booking award travel for next year and wan't to make sure that I will be able to take advantage of the award travel redeposit waiver available to PMs. I called to make sure that I would be able to do so and they said that if the booking date is before I actually achieve PM status that I would still have to pay the fee. I can't find this in the Skymiles program T&C anywhere and don't see why the booking date would matter, assuming the date I request the Skymiles redeposit is after I become PM. Does anyone have experience with this or able to provide any guidance?
They are wrong. As soon as you are PL you can make no fee changes to award bookings, doesn't matter what status you were when booked
jc1194 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by MarkCron
They are wrong. As soon as you are PL you can make no fee changes to award bookings, doesn't matter what status you were when booked
+1

The change fee waiver for award ticket changes is a benefit of holding PM status. While you hold PM status, any tickets purchased with your SkyMiles are eligible for the change fee waiver. It does not matter when tickets are purchased, rather it only matters the medallion status of the account at the time of the change fee (or waiver). Once you are no longer PM, the waiver no longer applies.

Remember, the waiver is an attribute of the SkyMiles account from which award tickets are booked. Any ticket booked with your "PM SkyMiles" whether for yourself or for anyone else is eligible for the fee waiver if a change is desired. For example, if a (non-status) spouse booked an award ticket for a PM, there would be standard fees applies to any changes to that ticket, because the fee waiver "follows the points" and not the person who's name appears on a ticket purchased with the points.
jc1194 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnbp
+1

The change fee waiver for award ticket changes is a benefit of holding PM status. While you hold PM status, any tickets purchased with your SkyMiles are eligible for the change fee waiver. It does not matter when tickets are purchased, rather it only matters the medallion status of the account at the time of the change fee (or waiver). Once you are no longer PM, the waiver no longer applies.

Remember, the waiver is an attribute of the SkyMiles account from which award tickets are booked. Any ticket booked with your "PM SkyMiles" whether for yourself or for anyone else is eligible for the fee waiver if a change is desired. For example, if a (non-status) spouse booked an award ticket for a PM, there would be standard fees applies to any changes to that ticket, because the fee waiver "follows the points" and not the person who's name appears on a ticket purchased with the points.
This reply seems to indicate that I do in fact need to wait until I reach PM to book the award travel, given that any ticket purchased prior to achieving PM would be a ticket booked with GM SkyMiles, therefore not eligible for the waiver. Is that correct?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:42 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
This reply seems to indicate that I do in fact need to wait until I reach PM to book the award travel, given that any ticket purchased prior to achieving PM would be a ticket booked with GM SkyMiles, therefore not eligible for the waiver. Is that correct?
No -- as both replies indicated, what matters is your status at the time the event occurs. If, when you cancel, you are PM, then the redeposit is free.

What mnbp was adding that confused you is that the free redeposit is given based on the account the miles came from, not the person flying. So if you book a SkyMiles award ticket for friends/family, even now as a GM, but for whatever reason they need to cancel the trip after you become PM, those miles will also be redeposited back into your account for free.

We've been talking about cancellations thus far, but it applies to changes too (including, if the price in miles for the exact same flights goes down, you can call in and they will refund the difference)

Lastly, welcome to FT!
jc1194 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:42 pm

No.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
No -- as both replies indicated, what matters is your status at the time the event occurs. If, when you cancel, you are PM, then the redeposit is free.

What mnbp was adding that confused you is that the free redeposit is given based on the account the miles came from, not the person flying. So if you book a SkyMiles award ticket for friends/family, even now as a GM, but for whatever reason they need to cancel the trip after you become PM, those miles will also be redeposited back into your account for free.

We've been talking about cancellations thus far, but it applies to changes too (including, if the price in miles for the exact same flights goes down, you can call in and they will refund the difference)

Lastly, welcome to FT!
Ah, thank you for the clarity! Glad to be here!
Old Sep 15, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Ah, thank you for the clarity! Glad to be here!
Welcome to FT! So you are now incentivized to book your award trips early, because you have that flexibility now, and the number of miles needed for your trip creeps up over time!
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The phone agent didn't know, was too lazy to learn, and just made up something.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Just be sure to cancel any relevant bookings before you actually lose the status (aka 2021 bookings if you don't keep PM for 2021) or you'll once again be subjected to the fee (even if you were PM when you physically booked).
jc1194 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The phone agent didn't know, was too lazy to learn, didn't ask for assistance, and just made up something gave a standard rote answer based on how he/she understood OP's inquiry.
ay, yi yi

in slightly less degrading terms ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.