Wiki Posts
Search

Redeposit 1/2 of an award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Redeposit 1/2 of an award ticket

We booked tickets to Canada using points. Flew the outbound yesterday 9/4/19, returning on 9/10/19. My partner can't take the return flight, has to fly to another city for work. He is PM. Can they redeposit the miles for the rest of the ticket?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:53 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
In theory yes. Worth calling and asking anyway. Now that Delta has variable pricing for roundtrip awards (one-way award price + other-way award price does not always equal the roundtrip award price), it's less clear how the residual value is calculated. If you were making this change prior to departure I think they would have repriced it as whatever the prevailing one-way award price would be, which might have been more than what you originally paid for the roundtrip. Making the change after departure they can't do that any more so it might actually work out in your favor.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:24 pm

Watch out for the 72–hour rule so call DL ASAP.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:28 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Watch out for the 72–hour rule so call DL ASAP.
I believe there is no 72-hour rule on the return leg of a ticket after you've flown the outbound. Only applies before the outbound.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Delta has said no - the trip has already started, no refund. We might try one more time with another agent. Just was wondering if anyone had success doing this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
This shows why it's always best to book two one ways -- as long as you are PM or DM and don't get hit with the $150 redeposit fee (and sometimes may be even with it).
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RealHJ
This shows why it's always best to book two one ways -- as long as you are PM or DM and don't get hit with the $150 redeposit fee (and sometimes may be even with it).
On international trips, the total taxes and fees paid on two OW award tickets aren't necessarily the same as the taxes and fees on a RT award ticket.
CO-PLAT and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On international trips, the total taxes and fees paid on two OW award tickets aren't necessarily the same as the taxes and fees on a RT award ticket.
I just discovered this, I'm probably late to the party. IIRC, taxes/fees on 2 one ways for me was ~$275 vs $60 on a RT itinerary. I have to buy 4 tickets, so that adds up!
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Yes, that is true, so there are some exceptions to the rule of booking one-ways. I think that is only for ex-EU flights though where there are the crazy high YQ fees if booked as OW vs as RT, isn't it?

The other exception is that now RT pricing is not necessarily the sum of two one-ways, esp. if DL flights are involved.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On internationals, even the miles could be different.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
Delta has said no - the trip has already started, no refund. We might try one more time with another agent. Just was wondering if anyone had success doing this.
I’ve had luck getting a refund of the return leg after mentioning that the reason was that I had bought an alternate ticket (on Delta) do to changing commitments which resulted in me not being able to take the return portion of the first ticket. It wasn’t a slam dunk but it worked in the end.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Yes, that is true, so there are some exceptions to the rule of booking one-ways. I think that is only for ex-EU flights though where there are the crazy high YQ fees if booked as OW vs as RT, isn't it?

The other exception is that now RT pricing is not necessarily the sum of two one-ways, esp. if DL flights are involved.
It can make a difference for Latin America too. I've also discovered cases where the taxes and fees on two OWs are cheaper than for one RT, so one should always check.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Even if he can't refund it, he can always change it to anything—including a flight home from a different city that he needs next July, or something like that.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by SamOF
Even if he can't refund it, he can always change it to anything—including a flight home from a different city that he needs next July, or something like that.
AFAIK a RT can be changed to an OJ, but an OJ ticket cannot be changed to a double open jaw. There are also rules about the "gap" (presumably from the destination to the starting point for the return) cannot be longer than the two flown fare components. I' not sure whether there would be additional restrictions on changing continents/regions.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by cre95
I’ve had luck getting a refund of the return leg after mentioning that the reason was that I had bought an alternate ticket (on Delta) do to changing commitments which resulted in me not being able to take the return portion of the first ticket. It wasn’t a slam dunk but it worked in the end.
Exactly the same experience. I had to buy the new ticket first to show them I was flying Delta on another itinerary, then a Supervisor gave me a "one time exception" and redeposited the return half.

So, they definitely can do it - but a regular agent can't, and be really nice to them when requesting it.

Originally Posted by SamOF
Ding ding ding. You should be able to push the return out awhile and then call and redeposit it later for free. If the aforementioned doesn't work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.